Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 08:06 AM

465 posts, read 872,020 times

Advertisements

Only NYC matches European cities in terms of public transit.

Places like Chicago, Boston, Philly, DC , SF come up short compared to any major European city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 10:39 AM

401 posts, read 649,481 times
NYC only ... but I live in the Paris area and I can tell you than the metro (subway) in Paris is way better than the NYC subway. Subway lines in Manhattan are not always convenient, and you often have to walk a lot before reaching your station. For example if you wanna go to the MET museum you have to walk for like 10/15 minutes from the closest station maybe more. In Paris you are never more than 5 minutes away from a station.
If you compare Paris intra-murros to Manhattan, it is very clear that Paris has a better system

I think it's pretty clear Paris on that map has a better subway system than Manhattan ... And I think London is better than NYC in that regard too.
Great thing about the NYC subway though is that it is 24/7, and the express trains are really fast. And it's still better than almost any European city outside of Paris and London (IMO).

Old 03-13-2013, 10:56 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,353 times
Yeah. Tokyo has a better system as well, imo. That said, even Philadelphia compares favorably to Rome, so European cities can be a bit overrated outside of a few big ones.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
NYC only ... but I live in the Paris area and I can tell you than the metro (subway) in Paris is way better than the NYC subway. Subway lines in Manhattan are not always convenient, and you often have to walk a lot before reaching your station.
I have lived in NYC and Paris, and, while I see what you're saying, I prefer the NYC system.

Paris Metro is denser and has somewhat better coverage, but the trains are small and short, and the system is much more rudimentary (all the windows open and LOUD, system shuts down early, and there are more mechancial problems).

RER is pretty good, and has great service to the suburbs, but is too ghetto. LIRR/Metro North/PATH/NJ Transit/SIRT are all much nicer, but don't have the same connectivity, because they're splintered into all these different networks.

I like the express/local system in the NYC subway, and the express buses. I can see a preference for Paris too, because the coverage within the city limits is outstanding.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Yeah. Tokyo has a better system as well, imo. That said, even Philadelphia compares favorably to Rome, so European cities can be a bit overrated outside of a few big ones.
Tokyo has the best transit system in the world.

Rome has (easily) the worst transit of any major city in Europe. I would agree that Philly is about equal, but Philly is easily Top 5 in U.S. transit (maybe higher).

Old 03-13-2013, 11:10 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post
Tokyo has the best transit system in the world.

Rome has (easily) the worst transit of any major city in Europe. I would agree that Philly is about equal, but Philly is easily Top 5 in U.S. transit (maybe higher).
I agree on all those points (although, I think Philadelphia has better public transit than Rome). Transit is pretty poor all throughout Italy. Italy, like the U.S., is primarily an automobile country.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:13 AM

401 posts, read 649,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post
I have lived in NYC and Paris, and, while I see what you're saying, I prefer the NYC system.

Paris Metro is denser and has somewhat better coverage, but the trains are small and short, and the system is much more rudimentary (all the windows open and LOUD, system shuts down early, and there are more mechancial problems).

RER is pretty good, and has great service to the suburbs, but is too ghetto. LIRR/Metro North/PATH/NJ Transit/SIRT are all much nicer, but don't have the same connectivity, because they're splintered into all these different networks.

I like the express/local system in the NYC subway, and the express buses. I can see a preference for Paris too, because the coverage within the city limits is outstanding.
So do you prefer the NYC subway or Paris' Metro ?
RER is not always guetto. The north part of the RER B is indeed very guetto, but the south part is not guetto at all, the RER A is not guetto, RER C is ok too, RER D is a bit guetto.
It really depends on where you are, the north banlieue is guetto (93) but the rest of the Paris area is rather safe.
Also the NYC Subway trains make so much noise you can hear them and feel them from the street. And the stations are way dirtier than those in Paris, which are very dirty.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:31 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
NYC only ... but I live in the Paris area and I can tell you than the metro (subway) in Paris is way better than the NYC subway. Subway lines in Manhattan are not always convenient, and you often have to walk a lot before reaching your station. For example if you wanna go to the MET museum you have to walk for like 10/15 minutes from the closest station maybe more. In Paris you are never more than 5 minutes away from a station.
If you compare Paris intra-murros to Manhattan, it is very clear that Paris has a better system
The trade-off is the greater stops lead to slower speeds and the Paris metro covers a similar area (not much outside the city limits, so only for 2.5 million). Outside, mostly you'd have to use the RER which has less dense coverage than the NYC subway and requires more walking or a transfer within Paris.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
So do you prefer the NYC subway or Paris' Metro ?
I would say that, overall, I prefer the NYC subway over the Paris Metro, but I prefer the Paris RATP over the overall MTA/regional system, if that makes sense.

In any case, both systems are very good, though both systems have their flaws.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:43 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
NYC is the only city in the US that compares favorably to European cities/metros of similar size. Some of the other cities touted for great transit in the US would be fairly mediocre when compared to most cities/metros of similar size in Europe.

NYC's system is fantastic. I wish no stations were used as unofficial public urinals, there were more ways of getting around among the outer boroughs (triboroRX would be great), more up-to-date technology like something as basic as an RFID card reader and had better fare integration with other systems (as to use the LIRR and Metro-North as super express trains within the city or PATH train fare integration), but it's a good system. The express trains and 24 hour service really make it stand out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning