Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 06:28 PM

123 posts, read 192,799 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody, I am a somewhat young professional (early thirties) who is thinking about a career change. I considered pursuing a masters in Architecture roughly 7 years ago but I chickened out due to job prospects in the field and debt. That being said, my love of buildings and cities hasn't gone away and I have realized that it never will go away (I played way too much Simcity on my SNES when i was a kid). That is why I am considering a career in Urban Planning or Urban Design (I know there are some differences). I have looked at a few graduate programs and I believe that I can secure a few grants from certain schools. Before I go that route I was wondering if it possible to be an urban planner without a degree in Urban Planning? I have a degree in Business along with Banking and some IT experience. Also what is the market like for Urban Designers/Planners who want to consult, specifically outside the United States in developing countries? Heck what is the market like period for Urban Designers and or Urban Planners?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 07:50 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
The responses in the following threads may help answer your question:

//www.city-data.com/forum/urban...-urbanist.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/urban...-planning.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/urban...nning-gis.html

Old 06-05-2013, 07:53 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Mike this is the first time I've seen a post without

[this little bit in brackets]

(god I've been posting on here too long if I'm noticing stuff like that!)

Old 06-05-2013, 09:09 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Mike this is the first time I've seen a post without

[this little bit in brackets]

(god I've been posting on here too long if I'm noticing stuff like that!)
LOL...I decided to serve the burger without fries this time...

[]

Old 06-06-2013, 09:56 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,864,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by super karate man View Post
Hi everybody, I am a somewhat young professional (early thirties) who is thinking about a career change. I considered pursuing a masters in Architecture roughly 7 years ago but I chickened out due to job prospects in the field and debt. That being said, my love of buildings and cities hasn't gone away and I have realized that it never will go away (I played way too much Simcity on my SNES when i was a kid). That is why I am considering a career in Urban Planning or Urban Design (I know there are some differences). I have looked at a few graduate programs and I believe that I can secure a few grants from certain schools. Before I go that route I was wondering if it possible to be an urban planner without a degree in Urban Planning? I have a degree in Business along with Banking and some IT experience. Also what is the market like for Urban Designers/Planners who want to consult, specifically outside the United States in developing countries? Heck what is the market like period for Urban Designers and or Urban Planners?
I guess we are pretty similar (ha). But really, I did the same exact thing. My plan is to eventually get a Masters of Urban Planning degree, but starting out with a civil engineering major. I know that civil engineers are often hired as urban planners, but I'm not sure about people with business majors.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:26 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,731 times
There's no such thing as 'urban planning' in North America. There's only traffic engineering.

(The traffic engineers are the urban planners).

Old 06-07-2013, 09:44 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,453 times
Sounds like fun if you want to sit in on endless community meetings to create a master plan, only to outrage the community when the homeless shelter finally breaks ground.

Not for me. Too much concept and ribbon cutting. Ill stick to proformas and shovels.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:53 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
I looked at UP and most of your well thought out and time invested Master Plans rarely happen.. Its something that I cannot live with...to see all that hard work wasted.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:22 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
Sounds like fun if you want to sit in on endless community meetings to create a master plan, only to outrage the community when the homeless shelter finally breaks ground.

Not for me. Too much concept and ribbon cutting. Ill stick to proformas and shovels.
A lot of frustrated planners jump ship to that side

Old 06-10-2013, 09:12 AM

123 posts, read 192,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
I guess we are pretty similar (ha). But really, I did the same exact thing. My plan is to eventually get a Masters of Urban Planning degree, but starting out with a civil engineering major. I know that civil engineers are often hired as urban planners, but I'm not sure about people with business majors.
That's is not a bad idea. To stay on the similarity theme I actually took a hard look at civil engineering. It would be hard for me to get a masters due to not having a bachelors in engineering so I eventually dismissed the idea. Honestly I haven't completely killed the idea of a M.Arch, but I am starting to feel that I am too old for it (I'm in my early thirties).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning