Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 09:44 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times

Advertisements

Penn students create ambitious plan for rail service | Philadelphia Inquirer | 08/11/2010 (http://www.philly.com/inquirer/front_page/20100811_Penn_students__Amtrak_offer_contrasting_p lans_for_Northeast_Corridor_rail_service.html?page =2&c=y - broken link)

We had a Discussion about this on another site and came to a few conclusions.

-The Long Island Section is unnecessary
-The New Philly Tunnel is a waste
-The New England Section can bend up and connect to Springfield & Worcester
-It should not cost close to 100 billion $$
-The Average speed can be brought up to 200mph
-Only these Stations should have HSR service
Washington DC , Baltimore , 30th Street Philly , Newark , New York , Hartford , South Station Boston (original plan)

This is Amtrak's 70 Billion $ Northeast Network upgrade already underway.

So what do you think , all Amtrak Northeast Routes break profits. So don't say there unnecessary , most are used by alot of ppl daily. Most Amtrak Routes are dual service , meaning Commuter / Intercity Rail.

Last edited by DarkWolf; 08-19-2010 at 09:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 10:08 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
I like it, especially the 38 minutes from philly to NYC

Why not invest in the new techonology and also improve the regional offerings

Also at 2:25 to Boston for me, I would choose almost everytime over flights, many of which i now go to PVD over BOS. I like it

And even bypassing 30th St for example in Philly, Market East is just fine and offers easy connection via numerous rail options to 30th in less than 10 minutes etc.

But I would also agree that the core Stations in city centers would make the most sense

Old 08-20-2010, 08:34 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
I don't like it, because I live in Connecticut and these plans will only further ruin the natural beauty of the state. If these rails are going to be underground, however, then I would be in favor of it.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I don't like it, because I live in Connecticut and these plans will only further ruin the natural beauty of the state. If these rails are going to be underground, however, then I would be in favor of it.
LOL , there using existing ROW. So not alot will have to demolished , RR's were here first. I'm sure you wouldn't mind a new highway. Building Underground Rail except in Dense areas like NYC , Philly , Baltimore would be a waste of $$$. Cost way to much $$$ and would probably go way over budget. CT is a Key state for New England w/o the planned New Haven - Springfield line the rest of New England can't built there network. Most of state seems to disagree with you on the expanding and restoring the Rail.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
LOL , there using existing ROW. So not alot will have to demolished , RR's were here first. I'm sure you wouldn't mind a new highway. Building Underground Rail except in Dense areas like NYC , Philly , Baltimore would be a waste of $$$. Cost way to much $$$ and would probably go way over budget. CT is a Key state for New England w/o the planned New Haven - Springfield line the rest of New England can't built there network. Most of state seems to disagree with you on the expanding and restoring the Rail.
Are you sure it's going to use existing railroad track routes? I'm fine with that. I just don't want to see new sprawling railways all over the state. That would be an eye-sore, create unwanted noise, eminent domain issues and more unwanted suburban sprawl.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Are you sure it's going to use existing railroad track routes? I'm fine with that. I just don't want to see new sprawling railways all over the state. That would be an eye-sore, create unwanted noise, eminent domain issues and more unwanted suburban sprawl.
CT has no space for anything LOL , so it will use Interstate medians , abandoned ROW and Abandoned Highways to build Future Rail / Transit corridors.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
CT has no space for anything LOL , so it will use Interstate medians , abandoned ROW and Abandoned Highways to build Future Rail / Transit corridors.
Lol okay, I am fine with that. I just don't want to see much vegetation removed from the natural landscape. You mentioned abandoned highways, but there aren't any abandoned highways in CT anymore. There are a few short 1,000 foot strips of abandoned road here and there, but no highways that are entirely abandoned.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:44 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,995,108 times
Default Ivy Leaugers exsist in a paper world

Seems like a poor plan. These Ivy leaguers should stick to what they are best at; outsourcing jobs, plundering the country via Wall street and using the media for ideological subversion.

The leg from New Haven CT to L.I. is useless. It is a connection between one bedroom community to another. The leg from L.I. to New York is duplicated by the LIRR along with all the connections to the airports. This plan brings little to nothing to the table.

The better plan is to upgrade rails on the existing ROW and install faster trains. Same result with greatly reduced costs. Maybe UPENN Wharton students could come in and provide or arrange outsourced labor from one of their Asian sweatshops to reduce costs, but other than that their actual rail plan exposes their lack of insight.

Last edited by samyn on the green; 08-20-2010 at 11:07 PM..

Old 08-20-2010, 11:25 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,996,996 times
Running under LI Sound, (and it will prob never be built) would take the High speed trains off the overloaded NE Connection/Metro North Rails. That route is running near or at capicacity. Running HS from Hartford/New Haven/MacArthur aiport for easy connection to the NYC airports, All 3 NYC (JFK,LGA,EWR) are all at capicity). Also there is a alot of LI to New England traffic, Most drive around thru NYC, some take the ferry over to CT. (I dont see two much family traffic moving to the HS train) Need car once they get to NE. But Day trippers, and biz traffic to Boston, would use it.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:51 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,995,108 times
There was once a New York and Putnum railroad which ran from the Bronx New York to Brewster that connected to Boston. This rail link was retired due to lack of traffic in the 1980's. With rail service being retired along the NE corridor due to lack of demand why is a new ROWs being proposed that will cost $100 billion+? The Putnam line could have provided the relief necessary to the New Haven line/expand capacity and it would have been a much better value than the tunnel under the sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Running under LI Sound, (and it will prob never be built) would take the High speed trains off the overloaded NE Connection/Metro North Rails. That route is running near or at capicacity. Running HS from Hartford/New Haven/MacArthur aiport for easy connection to the NYC airports, All 3 NYC (JFK,LGA,EWR) are all at capicity). Also there is a alot of LI to New England traffic, Most drive around thru NYC, some take the ferry over to CT. (I dont see two much family traffic moving to the HS train) Need car once they get to NE. But Day trippers, and biz traffic to Boston, would use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning