U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 10:05 AM

551 posts, read 1,055,799 times

Advertisements

I saw this somewhat funny youtube video of how an organization Forum For the Future tells us how people will live in the megacities of tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7rCAYkoMT0

You can see the channel here for the other 3 types of futures:
http://www.youtube.com/user/forumforthefuture96

I think that some of the videos on here have good ideas that would be good for humanity if they were implemented but they also contain some strange concepts like super computers being used to guide these cars and such.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 09:39 AM

4,037 posts, read 9,430,070 times
That's a creepy video. I love urban planning, but videos like that aren't helpful.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:57 PM

8,423 posts, read 15,412,512 times
Take a look at the other three videos--they are based on four different potential approaches, and some are creepier than others.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:15 PM

13,145 posts, read 20,453,976 times
why do we always imagine ourselves driving weird-ass cars in the future when we do stuff like this?

Does anyone really think we'll be driving biofuel powered armored RVs and wannabe "Tron" looking scooters in 20 years?

Old 01-26-2011, 07:01 PM

8,423 posts, read 15,412,512 times
Here's what the future looked like in 1939:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74cO9X4NMb4

How closely does this resemble the world of today?

WU7dT2HId-c&feature=related">WU7dT2HId-c&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" class="youtube_embed">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU7dT...eature=related

How closely does this resemble the cities of today?

Old 01-28-2012, 04:13 PM

371 posts, read 892,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
I saw this somewhat funny youtube video of how an organization Forum For the Future tells us how people will live in the megacities of tomorrow.

Megacities on the move - Planned-opolis - YouTube

You can see the channel here for the other 3 types of futures:
forumforthefuture96's Channel - YouTube

I think that some of the videos on here have good ideas that would be good for humanity if they were implemented but they also contain some strange concepts like super computers being used to guide these cars and such.
Right... If this happens I'm moving to a small farm somewhere in Bieszczady or so, far away from everything...

Our older generation fought communism for decades, and now a high-tech version is shown as something desirable... I think a global thermonuclear war and a subsequent return to medieval times is actually more desirable than this crap where they plan your life from the cradle to the grave...

If everyone starts using their common sense, we could achieve a whole lot in terms of global livability and reduction of our carbon footprint without becoming something akin to a hive of bloody bees...

Old 01-28-2012, 05:54 PM

2,708 posts, read 4,059,600 times
Some of these ideas really don't make sense. Even if you assume sea levels will rise more than the expected foot or so, even if all of Antarctica melts, sea levels would rise only by about 300 feet I think, so plenty of current inland areas would still be above sea level. I would think it would be much cheaper to build cities in places like the Canadian Shield or Appallachian foothills than floating cities...

Similarly, I don't think rations on most things will be that necessary. As cost of water and land become more significant in food costs, meat will become more of a luxury item, and as water and energy becomes more scarce, it will become more expensive and people will just use less. Similarly with public transportation, if it requires much less energy, it will also be less expensive to provide and people will move to places with good public transit.

Renewabad is probably the most realistic and even it's not especially realistic.

Last edited by memph; 01-28-2012 at 06:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning