Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 08:25 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times

Advertisements

NYC has a daily bus ridership of 2,629,800. Considering, it has a more comprehensive subway system, Saõ Paulo's bus ridership isn't that high in comparison. Saõ has a commuter rail ridership of 2.7 million, nearly the same as its subway system, so yes it does more rail than just its subway system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 08:43 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
This is from the Montgomery county Maryland presentation about planned BRT routes in the county with 5 located in Gaithersburg Maryland. These BRT routes with the CCT Light Rail line and Marc Commuter stations will form a rapid mass transit network in Gaithersburg. Gaithersburg is already saturated with regular bus routes. I don't have experience with BRT. How does it work? My question is, can a BRT network move people around a city as well as heavy rail or light rail?

Three routes running from West Gaithersburg to East Gaithersburg
1. Light Blue Route
2. Red Route
3. Brown Route

One route running through Gaithersburg north and south
1. Orange Route

One route beginning in West Gaithersburg and going southeast
1. Dark Purple

Light rail line (CCT=Corridor Cities Transit way) 8 stops in Gaithersburg
1. Royal Blue north-south

Marc Commuter Train (Not Shown)
1. 3 Marc Commuter Train stops north-south

Dr. Gridlock - Montgomery Co. forms transit task force
Dumb project and a complete waste of money. There are some jobs in that area, but not many. Otherwise, why are people going to ride transit out there? Are they supposed to ride from one shopping plaza with abdundant parking surrounded by woods to another shopping plaza with abundant parking also surrounded by woods?

Old 04-04-2014, 08:55 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,127,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
NYC has a daily bus ridership of 2,629,800. Considering, it has a more comprehensive subway system, Saõ Paulo's bus ridership isn't that high in comparison. Saõ has a commuter rail ridership of 2.7 million, nearly the same as its subway system, so yes it does more rail than just its subway system.
Yeah, I was mostly trying to point out that Sao Paulo has to do a lot with its subway system because the 5 lines is all it has . . . and that I think it's easier to do that there because you don't have the same inbound crush that you get in Manhattan . . . and that despite having similar metro area populations daily ridership in the NYC area is nearly twice as high.

Which might explain Sao Paulo's gridlock . . . and enormous helicopter fleet.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:59 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
Yeah, I was mostly trying to point out that Sao Paulo has to do a lot with its subway system because the 5 lines is all it has . . . and that I think it's easier to do that there because you don't have the same inbound crush that you get in Manhattan . . . and that despite having similar metro area populations daily ridership in the NYC area is nearly twice as high.
Except the cities' rail ridership is roughly identical.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:04 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
The point is simple. I'll repeat it for you.

Orange line in LA would be in the top 20 light rail systems in the US by ridership. It does not have 30 second headways.

The point is that Orange line in LA posts some of the highest ridership numbers for light rail in the US and it does not have 30 second headways. Simply use elementary math. Divide ridership by number of lines. How many of them are significantly more than 25,000 which is achievable by one BRT line without 30 second headways? Two are significantly above. Two more are slightly above.

Decision in the real world are not made by looking at hypothetical capacity absent of demand. There is no advantage to running a subway through a corn field in Kansas over light rail over BRT over a regular bus. While it's true that a subway has the highest hypothetical capacity, that doesn't mean its an advantage in a corn field in Kansas. Doesn't matter when the number of light rail systems that have higher demand than BRT (and that's without 30 second headways) can be counted on one hand.

The thread is really just about a rhetorical question since BRT already does what light rail does, so asking if it can is clearly rhetorical.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Sao Paulo's bus ridership is 10.5 million daily. I don't know what "that high in comparison" constitutes for you. To me, 2.6 versus 10.5 is a significant difference.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Sao Paulo's bus ridership is 10.5 million daily. I don't know what "that high in comparison" constitutes for you. To me, 2.6 versus 10.5 is a significant difference.
I thought 3 million was the bus ridership.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I thought 3 million was the bus ridership.
No, that's the BRT ridership. There's conventional buses as well.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
The point is simple. I'll repeat it for you.

Orange line in LA would be in the top 20 light rail systems in the US by ridership. It does not have 30 second headways.

The point is that Orange line in LA posts some of the highest ridership numbers for light rail in the US and it does not have 30 second headways. Simply use elementary math. Divide ridership by number of lines. How many of them are significantly more than 25,000 which is achievable by one BRT line without 30 second headways? Two are significantly above. Two more are slightly above.
The Orange line has headways of about 4-5 minutes during rush hour (assuming there's no other buses using the route). The light rail Blue line is slightly longer (22 miles vs 18 miles) and carries 82,000 weekday passengers, gold line 42,000 in 20 milles while San Francisco's N-Judah 42,000 in maybe half the distance. Calgary's light rail averages 8000 per mile.

Without long buses or very high headways (<2 minutes) it would be hard for BRT to handle that volume. But yes, few light rail routes need that capacity.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:05 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,127,371 times
Quote:
Except the cities' rail ridership is roughly identical.
Except that they aren't.

Sao Paulo metro = 3 million daily rides
NYC Subway = 5.5 million
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning