U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 08:28 AM

8,874 posts, read 11,249,048 times

Advertisements

We live in an inner suburb in Northern Virginia, mostly 1950s/1960s vintage development.

We live almost exactly 10 minutes from a Safeway. Sometimes we walk there for the heck of it, sometimes if we need to get a lot of stuff, are in a great rush, or are on the way back from somewhere, we drive. When my wife has taken the car out of town, I have no difficulty at all getting all the groceries I need walking.

There is a 7-11 only 5 minutes walk away, but thats not our preferred choice for almost anything.

In about 20 minutes we can get to a large Asian supermarket - we have only combined shopping and walking there once, if we go there we usually drive. About 25 minutes away there is another mainstream supermarket (a Giant) and maybe a tad further is yet another (a Blooms). There are also a few smaller food stores around, but none within 10 minutes and all ethnic stuff we dont go for. Oh, and there is a dollar store right next to the Safeway, which is handy to buy nosh (snacks and stuff) but not really a good source of regular groceries (unless you are a fan of their odd sizes).

I doubt there are many houses in Annandale (inside the beltway) more than a 10 minute walk from a supermarket. Now if you look at the lower density area just outside the beltway, that would be different.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 08:31 AM

7,258 posts, read 11,835,062 times
Yes. We have a well-stocked Giant store about 4 blocks away. Very convenient. It's done great things for the neighborhood.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:37 AM

4,037 posts, read 9,341,089 times
Yes, but I live in Manhattan ...

Old 03-02-2011, 08:38 AM

5,599 posts, read 8,883,693 times
I live within 10 minutes' walk of two grocery stores.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:39 AM

1,283 posts, read 1,928,983 times
Within a 10 minute walk from me there is a Thriftway, a Whole Foods, a Superfresh, and an independent supermarket. Independent store is the closet, Superfresh is my preferred, and I've been known to grudgingly go to Whole Foods for some bulk items. There are also many produce stores and more delis/convenience stores/pharmacies than I care to count. There is also a Trader Joe's about 15 minutes away, which I don't go to, but theoretically could if the other 4 stores went out of business. Stretching it to 20 minutes, the options become absurd - including Italian Market.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:39 AM

8,392 posts, read 15,253,919 times
Yes. Two corner markets and a drugstore within a five-minute walk, a full-service grocery, a discount grocery outlet, and a co-op organic grocery within a ten-minute walk (plus another few corner markets.) The full-service grocery offers online delivery, with free delivery for orders over $30. I live in a 19th century mixed-use neighborhood, mostly no taller than 3 stories with the occasional mid-rise and better known for our tree cover than tall buildings.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:44 AM

22,402 posts, read 33,878,121 times
Yes, but none are extrmely large but within a ten minute walk I have multiple smaller grocery stores, trader Joes, Whole foods, two weekend outdoor farmers markets, and my personal favorites the Reading Terminal Market and Dibruno Brothers

There is a market 150 feet from my front door which is extremely handy and services most needs; they even deliver
Home | Rittenhouse Market the spruce market is two blocks and slightly larger I think but hardly go there although their fresh flower selection is much better

Just as an aside if in philly definately check out the reading terminal market and even Dibrunos http://www.dibruno.com/rittenhouse-square

Old 03-02-2011, 08:48 AM

1,283 posts, read 1,928,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yes, but none are extrmely large but within ten minutes I have multiple smaller grocery stores a trader Joes, Whole foods and my personal favorite the Reading Terminal Market

There is a market 150 feet from my front door which is extremely handy and services most needs; they even deliver
Home | Rittenhouse Market
Forgot about the Reading Terminal Market - so you can add another one to mine too.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:50 AM

18,509 posts, read 29,447,917 times
Yes.. The last 4 Places I lived all were within a ten minute walk away from grocery stores.

The 1st and 2nd places were within 10 minutes of a Krogers, Randalls, to the west and Walmart, Target and a few smaller stores to the east.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:55 AM

22,402 posts, read 33,878,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
Forgot about the Reading Terminal Market - so you can add another one to mine too.

Sadly I admit I do not take full advantage and typically relegated to a weekend trip once or twice a month
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or