Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 05:10 PM

469 posts, read 1,172,757 times

Advertisements

Dude, I totally agree with you. When I flew to LA to see Alabama play for the National Championship I was extremely surprised at how good the train was. LA! Of all places has a great light rail system. I was able to ride the train from LAX for a few dollars all the way to meet my friends at our hotel in east hollywood. We rode around the city a little bit and also took the train to the game is Pasadena. I never had to drive once while I was in LA and it was great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 06:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,318,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Ah I was thinking airport line like the Orange or Blue line or Metra North Central where the airport is one of many stops rather than a dedicated service. (i.e. These trains would be useful even without the airport).
Ah. That would be nice. On the plus side, if New York City connected JFK by subway it would actually likely take longer to reach the center city. Newark Airport is a commuter rail stop.

Actually it looks like to get to O'hare's airport you have to transfer to a people mover from the subway or commuter rail, same as with NYC's JFK and Newark Airport. Though Chicago's is free.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:24 PM

3,695 posts, read 4,979,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Ah. That would be nice. On the plus side, if New York City connected JFK by subway it would actually likely take longer to reach the center city. Newark Airport is a commuter rail stop.

Actually it looks like to get to O'hare's airport you have to transfer to a people mover from the subway or commuter rail, same as with NYC's JFK and Newark Airport. Though Chicago's is free.
The people mover is very short like 2.5 miles it just does parking lots, and terminals. From Metra you take a Shuttle bus to one of the parking lots to connect to the people mover and the Blue line is accessible from the three domestic terminals. The New York one is much more complex and does more.

The fastest way to and from O'hare to downtown is Metra(the Commuter rail). However it's service frequency leaves much to be desired as it is not 24 hours and has 2 hour long breaks between trains at times.

The Blue line to downtown takes at least 40 mins. While the blue line does take longer it is still a sane commute plus the the four stations after O'hare have park and rides and serve the near burbs and the O'hare hotels and allow a connection to the Metra Northwest line at Jefferson Park.

Depending on how far it is from the center of New York it might be too long a ride plus the blue line runs in the medium of an expressway to O'hare (only terminating in a subway at the airport....much cheaper than needing to dig a subway all the way or most of the way to the airport). New York may or may not have that cheaper Option.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:57 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,926,828 times
With the way baggage fees work nowadays, you're probably traveling light, especially if it's a business trip for a few days, or even just visiting family across the country. Round trip cab fare (got small bills for tips...?), possibly in BOTH cities, is not economical for such trips, unless you live so close that the fare is only about $10. Isn't it usually taxi unions that oppose rail extensions to the airport???? Of course, if you're going to Europe for a month, then it may not be practical. But in most cases, 1 carry on plus personal item is not a hassle to take on the train. And if you don't live near a station, your busy friend who is concerned about high gas prices will be thankful that he only has to take you a few miles to the rail line, not 30 miles to the airport. I'm glad they're opening the rail extension to the Miami airport next year, and it will boost ridership greatly.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:07 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,851,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
With the way baggage fees work nowadays, you're probably traveling light, especially if it's a business trip for a few days, or even just visiting family across the country. Round trip cab fare (got small bills for tips...?), possibly in BOTH cities, is not economical for such trips, unless you live so close that the fare is only about $10. Isn't it usually taxi unions that oppose rail extensions to the airport???? Of course, if you're going to Europe for a month, then it may not be practical. But in most cases, 1 carry on plus personal item is not a hassle to take on the train. And if you don't live near a station, your busy friend who is concerned about high gas prices will be thankful that he only has to take you a few miles to the rail line, not 30 miles to the airport. I'm glad they're opening the rail extension to the Miami airport next year, and it will boost ridership greatly.
But doesn't the TriRail already go there?

Old 04-12-2011, 05:37 PM

4,362 posts, read 4,541,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
I've used both St Louis and Portland OR rail transit exclusively when visiting on business to get from the airport. I think it is a great asset when it's feasible.

Harrisburg PA (MDT) continues to flub up adding a rail station to its airport. It seems silly but an Amtrak stop probably would be a better bet to get downtown to its well-located Amtrak station, than the city bus that doesn't run on Sundays. Would also help for fliers out of Lancaster PA, which has its own airport but terrible service.
The Metro in St Louis actually runs from Lambert Airport, through downtown STL, and east to the airport at Scott Air Force Base. So it connects two airports with downtown. I think that was some pretty good planning.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:36 PM

7,305 posts, read 13,477,713 times
Pretty good here in Baltimore. You can take the light rail right to the terminal (30 minutes from downtown), or the MARC or Amtrak trains to the BWI rail station (approximately a 12-17 minute trip from Penn Station) and step on a shuttle bus to the terminal.

We can also get to National airport in Washington pretty easily. MARC or AMTRAK to union station, Metro to National airport.

Some people feel they need to carry their whole house with them when traveling, but if you travel light like me and HATE checking bags, train is ideal.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:52 PM

20,510 posts, read 33,424,351 times
Both of DC's immediate airports will be connected by trains in 2015. National is already serviced by the Blue and Yellow line and it's easy. I love that aspect. Used it three times to fly out of it and I don't fly alot. The new Silver line will connect downtown to Dulles. Could a line to the airport be successful if it didn't have the line terminate at the airport?

Old 04-13-2011, 03:07 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,791,325 times
Philly is a 14 minute train ride to Center City via the SEPTA Airport line - this line also stops at all main junctions in Center City and connects with all subway lines int these stations including Amtrak and 30th Street and the NE and Keystone Corrider lines.

This line stops within 100ft of ticketing for all terminals except F which requires a little walk from terminal E

Philadelphia International Airport - Flash Terminal Map (http://www.phl.org/flashterminalmap.html - broken link)

Commuter Rail Terminal Philadelphia Airport | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/desaroo/877845729/ - broken link)

Old 04-13-2011, 03:48 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,533,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
On the plus side, if New York City connected JFK by subway it would actually likely take longer to reach the center city.
There was a proposal for MTA (the operating agency for the NYC transit system) to do just that. It was squashed in one of the more outrageously political moves seen in these parts by Port Authority of NY/NJ, which owns and operates the silly little line from JFK Airport known as AirTrain.

As we say in these parts, go figure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning