U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-17-2011, 09:17 PM
 
Location: Fairfax County, VA
3,720 posts, read 5,235,688 times
Reputation: 1473

Advertisements

Here is the list:
  • Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington
  • Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown
  • Detroit-Warren-Livonia
  • Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario
  • Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale
  • Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue
  • Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington
  • San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos
  • St. Louis
  • Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater,
  • Denver-Aurora-Broomfield
If you can, please try to refrain from mentioned costs and politics. Population, density and the like, obviously bring those up. Thanks
Rate this post positively

 
Old 05-17-2011, 09:32 PM
 
Location: On the Rails in Northern NJ
12,380 posts, read 25,092,361 times
Reputation: 4558
Seattle can , its a shame they didn't build a Heavy Rail line like Vancouver did..... San Diego might be able too.....but the rest of those cities could support a Heavy Rail line.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-17-2011, 09:57 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 30,428,087 times
Reputation: 7693
This is Greater Houston's Cargo Rail map:



A similar layout for heavy rail would be nice
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-18-2011, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Bothell, Washington
2,812 posts, read 5,173,545 times
Reputation: 3983
Seattle does have a heavy rail line- they have a line that goes from Tacoma up to downtown Seattle, and another that goes from Everett to downtown Seattle. It's your typical commuter rail that goes during regular business hours M-F and for special events on weekends such as NFL or MLB games. There are stops along the way, of course, so we have been able to park in the northern burbs and ride the train to the station right in the parking lot of our NFL stadium.

Too bad this line doesn't swing around to Bellevue and the mass of suburbs on the east side!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-18-2011, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Fairfax County, VA
3,720 posts, read 5,235,688 times
Reputation: 1473
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Seattle does have a heavy rail line- they have a line that goes from Tacoma up to downtown Seattle, and another that goes from Everett to downtown Seattle. It's your typical commuter rail that goes during regular business hours M-F and for special events on weekends such as NFL or MLB games. There are stops along the way, of course, so we have been able to park in the northern burbs and ride the train to the station right in the parking lot of our NFL stadium.

Too bad this line doesn't swing around to Bellevue and the mass of suburbs on the east side!
Last I checked, commuter rail was not coined as heavy metal.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-18-2011, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Bothell, Washington
2,812 posts, read 5,173,545 times
Reputation: 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Last I checked, commuter rail was not coined as heavy metal.
Hmm, it's not light rail by any means as it's your typical heavy train like Amtrack- maybe I am totally misunderstanding what the term "heavy rail" means?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-18-2011, 12:25 PM
 
Location: SWE
887 posts, read 1,483,965 times
Reputation: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Hmm, it's not light rail by any means as it's your typical heavy train like Amtrack- maybe I am totally misunderstanding what the term "heavy rail" means?
It is heavy rail indeed, Sounder Transit i believe is the name, operated by BNSF. Certainly not the most extensive system, or most frequently running, but it's a good start.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-18-2011, 12:29 PM
 
Location: SWE
887 posts, read 1,483,965 times
Reputation: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Here is the list:
  • Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington
  • Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown
  • Detroit-Warren-Livonia
  • Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario
  • Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale
  • Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue
  • Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington
  • San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos
  • St. Louis
  • Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater,
  • Denver-Aurora-Broomfield
If you can, please try to refrain from mentioned costs and politics. Population, density and the like, obviously bring those up. Thanks
Just about every single one of them, light and heavy. And did you know, in fact, most of those metropolitan areas you listed already have atleast some sort of public transit rail systems in place and expanding rapidly.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-18-2011, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Bothell, Washington
2,812 posts, read 5,173,545 times
Reputation: 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic_Vega View Post
It is heavy rail indeed, Sounder Transit i believe is the name, operated by BNSF. Certainly not the most extensive system, or most frequently running, but it's a good start.
You are correct- it is part of Sound Transit, the train is called the "Sounder". The trian cars are double decker, sharing the same tracks that Amtrak uses.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-23-2011, 11:15 PM
 
Location: Fairfax County, VA
3,720 posts, read 5,235,688 times
Reputation: 1473
Heavy rail is DC Metro, Chicago L and NYC subway
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top