Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 11:09 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times

Advertisements

A mother talks about her little girl growing up. “When our little girl was born we got a Subaru. It’s where she said her first word, saw her first day of school, made a best friend forever. The backseat of my Subaru is where she grew up.”

Not sure this generation has it better than when I grew up and often went days without riding in a car. I'm thinking this advertisement works because this is the norm, or at least with Subaru's target audience it is. Ironically Subaru spends a lot of money appealing to treehuggers along with the tacit acknowledgement that they are extremely car-dependent.

Subaru Our Little Girl Commercial
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 03:49 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
Not sure this generation has it better than when I grew up and often went days without riding in a car.
In this aspect it absolutely does not, although this forum is about people discussing that and reacting to a shift since the '40s - '50s when car driving started going from an option to the only option. The pendulum is starting to swing back in the other direction.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:20 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
It's what makes a Subaru a Subaru.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:41 AM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Welcome to a first world country where the average person can afford a car. Minor gripe with the ad would be that the Forester was nothing like the current one. It was more of a tall wagon whereas now it's an SUV. They should have found a first generation to shoot from. There's plenty of them still left on the road, so it's not like it would have been hard. I can see why they didn't. Subaru has never had very refined interiors so shots of a 15 year-old rubbermade interior wouldn't be very impressive. Still, more authentic. It's advertising though.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:55 AM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
In this aspect it absolutely does not, although this forum is about people discussing that and reacting to a shift since the '40s - '50s when car driving started going from an option to the only option. The pendulum is starting to swing back in the other direction.
It never was the only option.

My grandmother didn't drive until the '60s. She grew up in New England and then moved to NYC and then later San Francisco straight out of high school. She didn't learn to drive until after her second kid was born when she moved farther up north in Marin County. Before she'd been in San Rafael and didn't need to drive.
Aunt an uncle lived in San Francisco when I was a kid. The did have a car but rarely drove it.

Driving was the easier choice and remains so. It never was the only one. NYC has always had low car ownership rates. It's not exactly uncommon in other major cities however. San Francisco has crept up from about 28.6% of households not owning a car in 2000 to about 31.4% in 2012. It's not some monumental landslide event. It was just as possible in 2000. The thing was it wasn't en vogue. The social engineers of the world hadn't let you know it was cool yet. For people that thought on their own, it was. It always has been. The biggest change is perception, not reality. Number of households without a car hasn't moved much. VMT per capita has been much more meaningful than the rather insignificant change of households without a vehicle.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:30 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Strange, my Wife made the same type of comment when she saw that ad.
Cars are Americas religion ~We idolize them ~we let them define us ~ making sure they come first is the agenda of any cities budget meetings ~ It's the only way you can kill someone and its no big deal, because they should have known not to be in the way ~Cars are our personal deities . The poor kid is just getting indoctrinated to the 'murikan way. Her kids will be growing up in the back seat of some car, too.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:16 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Interesting that one of the biggest lobbying groups to build better highways was the US auto industry. And a big beneficiaries Japan's auto industry. Though to be fair, we should mention they have factories here.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:52 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,731 times
The quote sounds like a parody commercial. The sad thing is its an actual commercial.
Why would anyone be proud of their kids growing up in the backseat of a car?
I guess its true though for most because they rarely walk, bike or go outside anymore
and have to be driven everywhere by their parents mainly due to the poorly built environment.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:44 PM

497 posts, read 554,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
The quote sounds like a parody commercial. The sad thing is its an actual commercial.
Why would anyone be proud of their kids growing up in the backseat of a car?
I guess its true though for most because they rarely walk, bike or go outside anymore
and have to be driven everywhere by their parents mainly due to the poorly built environment.
SNL recently had a car commercial parody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un6uP6cykgo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L2fazw5Y9k

Old 03-04-2015, 03:35 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,731 times
Hah, fresh cannon fodder for the perpetual war machine either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning