Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 07:50 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
You sure? I talk about that a lot.
yea i'm pretty sure about that. We got people talking about the morality or ethics of living in auto-dependent suburbs, but nobody talking about reducing crime or improving schools to convince us not to move to those immoral suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Funny that city people want bigger yards. Maybe in the end we all want the same things. I know there are people who don't care a fig about yards, but if you want a yard, you want a yard.
Remember, its not about having a yard, its about the size. Apparently its ok if its big enough for two people to stand on it, but if you want one big enough to have a bbq, or for your dog and/or kids, you are killing the environment with all that wasted space.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:00 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
yea i'm pretty sure about that. We got people talking about the morality or ethics of living in auto-dependent suburbs, but nobody talking about reducing crime or improving schools to convince us not to move to those immoral suburbs.
Huh. Very interesting. I guess you don't read posts.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Huh. Very interesting. I guess you don't read posts.
I read the post and 1 person addressing it doesnt mean anything. 99% of the anti-suburban crowd just complain and rip the suburbs, but never discuss their warts.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:11 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Funny that city people want bigger yards. Maybe in the end we all want the same things. I know there are people who don't care a fig about yards, but if you want a yard, you want a yard.
That's just it; they are not city people. They are suburban people stuck in a city neighborhood. And, because Youngstown is behind the curve in its embracing of the urban environment, there are still a lot of suburban people in the city. So far, downtown is the only truly popular neighborhood for those who seek an urban environment. And even there, many buildings are still demolished to make more room for parking. Other neighborhoods are still relatively urban, only because that was their legacy, and many of their residents want their neighborhoods to be more suburban. Unfortunately, like with urban renewal, these people won't realize what they had until it's gone.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:12 AM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I have neighbors who want to see every other house in our neighborhood razed, so that the remaining houses can have bigger yards. I'm horrified by this idea, and is a small part of the reason I'm restoring a house in a different--historic--neighborhood in the city. That neighborhood isn't immune to the wrecking ball, either. But there, it's seen as a last resort, at least.
In Youngstown that would make sense to me. I'd rather have someone have neighbors maintaining the larger yards next to me than two abandoned houses on either side. YMMV.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
In Youngstown that would make sense to me. I'd rather have someone have neighbors maintaining the larger yards next to me than two abandoned houses on either side. YMMV.
I'd say in places where detatched homes were the norm 100 years ago, a larger yard could be attractive. However, rowhouse blocks with demolition-created yards mixed have sort of a "gap-toothed" effect that I don't care for.

It's funny that on so many of our blocks of mostly abandoned rowhouses, there will be ONE, usually in the middle of the block, that's still occupied. The newspaper quotes from these folks is usually funny, usually something along the lines of "Thank GOD those MFers finally left, now some quiet!!"

Old 08-28-2012, 08:38 AM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
I'd say in places where detatched homes were the norm 100 years ago, a larger yard could be attractive. However, rowhouse blocks with demolition-created yards mixed have sort of a "gap-toothed" effect that I don't care for.

It's funny that on so many of our blocks of mostly abandoned rowhouses, there will be ONE, usually in the middle of the block, that's still occupied. The newspaper quotes from these folks is usually funny, usually something along the lines of "Thank GOD those MFers finally left, now some quiet!!"
True. But Youngstown isn't row houses. It's mostly SFH on regular suburban-sized lots (5-6k and up). It would make less sense to tear down rowhouses for yards (for one, who is going to buy, maintain, and pay the taxes on it even if they aren't very much?). It would make more sense to tear down a section and use the land for a community garden or something.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
True. But Youngstown isn't row houses. It's mostly SFH on regular suburban-sized lots (5-6k and up). It would make less sense to tear down rowhouses for yards (for one, who is going to buy, maintain, and pay the taxes on it even if they aren't very much?). It would make more sense to tear down a section and use the land for a community garden or something.
I was saying that in a place like Youngstown, I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to it.

There are lots of community gardens like you describe in Baltimore. Some are for growing food. They're very prevalent, almost ubiquitous. There's a process by which a community can "adopt" a vacant lot.

However, once you've been here for a while, you actually do get cynical when you hear the plans for some new teardown: "Community garden with a mural." That stuff is great, but it does get repetitive.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:55 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
I was saying that in a place like Youngstown, I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to it.

There are lots of community gardens like you describe in Baltimore. Some are for growing food. They're very prevalent, almost ubiquitous. There's a process by which a community can "adopt" a vacant lot.

However, once you've been here for a while, you actually do get cynical when you hear the plans for some new teardown: "Community garden with a mural." That stuff is great, but it does get repetitive.
You made me laugh. Yes, that happens out here, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning