Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 09:05 AM

23 posts, read 63,906 times

Advertisements

What are some great pedestrian / public transport friendly places with lots of things to do. Such as museums, parks, zoo etc. I'd like to travel a bit more and check out places in the US before making any decisions on where to move to next.

I was thinking I'd like to visit Baltimore, MD for one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 10:36 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
Well, I hate to sound like Sarah Palin, but I'd say (almost) "all of them", meaning all of the largest say 100 cities in the US.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:55 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,534,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where's Kitty View Post
What are some great pedestrian / public transport friendly places with lots of things to do. Such as museums, parks, zoo etc. I'd like to travel a bit more and check out places in the US before making any decisions on where to move to next.

We'd love to have you! But seriously, Baltimore is somewhat lacking in driver knowledge/concern/enforcement when it comes to pedestrians, bicyclists, etc. Our public transportation is also years behind other systems in cities of similar size.

Having just returned from Colorado, Boulder instantly comes to mind for your criteria. Cars that stop for you in the crosswalk - incredible!

Old 01-02-2012, 12:36 PM

23 posts, read 63,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, I hate to sound like Sarah Palin, but I'd say (almost) "all of them", meaning all of the largest say 100 cities in the US.
I should have expanded on my question.
Do some stand out from others? Nicer parks? Higher quality and bigger museums?

Old 01-02-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Depends on what you like.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:15 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,137,759 times
Quote:
Well, NYC is the obvious one. A lot of the cities in the Northeast would qualify (Philly, Boston, and the smaller cities in between like New Haven, Hartford, etc)

Old 01-02-2012, 07:27 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,030,056 times
There is a website called Walk Score that rates cities according to walkability. One of the things they consider is whether the cities have something to actually walk to, so the attractions you mention will be there.

You can even sort them by state:

Most Walkable Cities in the United States on Walk Score - New York, San Francisco, Boston, Chicago, Seattle, Washington D.C.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
There is a website called Walk Score that rates cities according to walkability. One of the things they consider is whether the cities have something to actually walk to, so the attractions you mention will be there.

You can even sort them by state:

Most Walkable Cities in the United States on Walk Score - New York, San Francisco, Boston, Chicago, Seattle, Washington D.C.
Walkscore is notoriously unreliable. Its maps are old by close to 20 years in the case of my neighborhood, where it completely leaves off a park that my friend and I walk to almost every day. My oldest, now 27, was about 10 when this park was created. It lists some crazy home businesses as retail, and so forth. Use it as a general guildine only.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:23 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,611,480 times
Quote:

I would think NYC would pretty much cover most bases especially comparing it to to every major city in terms of transit, things to do, and quality. Then again it's very expensive to live there so you have to keep that in mind.

Other than that, there's a ton of cities with a variety of museums. Washington, DC would probably have the most if not some of the oldest/largest. It also has decent transit and parks.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:08 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,030,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Walkscore is notoriously unreliable. Its maps are old by close to 20 years in the case of my neighborhood, where it completely leaves off a park that my friend and I walk to almost every day. My oldest, now 27, was about 10 when this park was created. It lists some crazy home businesses as retail, and so forth. Use it as a general guildine only.
Whatever you say ...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20418525
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning