Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2012, 07:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I don't follow. You can't have drunk driving without driving as much as you cannot have drunk driving without drinking and if form is related to the amount of driving, then DUIs must be related to urban form / planning.
Well, you are the mod. I do not see the relationship. Walkable neighborhoods do not keep people from drinking. Anyone can walk home from the bar and hop in their car, under the influence.

If we have another DUI thread, I will state my opinion, which is that urban planning, or lack thereof, does not cause DUI. Drinking does. I especially do not support prohibiting bars in "car dependent" areas.

Correlation does not equal causation.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:14 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,523,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, you are the mod. If we have another DUI thread, I will state my opinion, which is that urban planning, or lack thereof, does not cause DUI. Drinking does. I especially do not support prohibiting bars in "car dependent" areas.
Me neither. They'd have to get to the alcohol zone somehow! We've ready got too many weekend warriors here, let em get bombed in the burbs.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:47 PM

642 posts, read 1,114,257 times
Quote:
Well, you are the mod. I do not see the relationship. Walkable neighborhoods do not keep people from drinking. Anyone can walk home from the bar and hop in their car, under the influence.

If we have another DUI thread, I will state my opinion, which is that urban planning, or lack thereof, does not cause DUI. Drinking does. I especially do not support prohibiting bars in "car dependent" areas.

Center for Problem-Oriented Policing: The Problem of Drunk Driving

Quote:
Cultural and Economic Factors

Drunk driving is very much the result of a cultural norm that emphasizes drinking alcohol as a form of entertainment and driving as both transportation and entertainment. 27 Cultural drinking habits also shape drunk driving patterns. For example, drunk driving will be more concentrated on weekend nights in countries where such nights are considered prime time for heavy drinking. The extent of drunk driving also depends, obviously, on the availability of vehicles, so it is less likely in societies and communities where vehicles are prohibitively expensive.

Community Design

Perhaps obviously, drunk driving is more common where licensed establishments are located far from where people live and work. Accordingly, drunk driving is likely to be more common, proportionate to the number of drinkers, in rural or suburban settings. Where people can easily walk or take public transportation in order to drink at a licensed establishment, drunk driving is proportionately less common.
While car dependent areas don't 'cause' DWI's, (we all agree that drunk drivers do) it doesn't take too much common sense to realize that there is a strong correlation.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post
Center for Problem-Oriented Policing: The Problem of Drunk Driving

While car dependent areas don't 'cause' DWI's, (we all agree that drunk drivers do) it doesn't take too much common sense to realize that there is a strong correlation.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:21 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
That is true, but it suggests there might be a connection, depending on the factors involved.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:25 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
I do not see the relationship. Walkable neighborhoods do not keep people from drinking. Anyone can walk home from the bar and hop in their car, under the influence.
It makes one step less likely that someone drunk will drive. Most people after a night of drinking once home will probably not hop in a car, there is less of a need to. In the very walkable neighborhood case, car ownership is lower, and there might not be a car to hop into.

I don't see how there cannot be a relationship.

Quote:
If we have another DUI thread, I will state my opinion, which is that urban planning, or lack thereof, does not cause DUI. Drinking does.
My opinion is both do, though that does not give anyone the excuse to drink and drive; it just makes it more likely that a car dependent area will have more drunk driving.

I hope we don't have another DUI thread.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:36 PM

28 posts, read 36,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down by the River View Post
I am glad we all agree that the driver is 100% responsible no matter how car dependent the area.

Say you have two bars, does not matter if they are in city, suburb or rural. Each bar has 100 patrons. In bar "A", 90 patrons drove to the bar. In bar "B" 90 patrons walked to the bar. In each bar 40% of the patrons
drank over the legal limit.
Which bar will produce the most DUIs?
I posted this yesterday and there was a lot of bickering about the question but no answers. Answering it either way does not imply that the suburbs cause DUIs. Its just a simple question.

Let me try another question. I'm a responsible driver, never had a DUI and its been ten years since my last speeding ticket. I like to met my friends for a beer or two in the evenings. I live in town "A" where there are 10 bars within walking distance of my house and this is where I go most of the time. But occasionlly, I will met a friend that lives in town "B", ten miles away.

I usually have one or two beers, but sometimes I will run into more friends and have a few more. This is strictly a mathematical probability question with no judgement of which town is "better".

After drinking in which town am I most likely to get a DUI?

Old 05-03-2012, 09:53 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,160,229 times
I would think people who drive to a bar are going to consume less alcohol than those that don't have to drive. So I don't think you can just look at how many people are getting in a car in bar A vs. bar B or how many people are drinking in total in each bar.

Last edited by manderly6; 05-03-2012 at 10:11 PM..

Old 05-03-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I posted this yesterday and there was a lot of bickering about the question but no answers. Answering it either way does not imply that the suburbs cause DUIs. Its just a simple question.

Let me try another question. I'm a responsible driver, never had a DUI and its been ten years since my last speeding ticket. I like to met my friends for a beer or two in the evenings. I live in town "A" where there are 10 bars within walking distance of my house and this is where I go most of the time. But occasionlly, I will met a friend that lives in town "B", ten miles away.

I usually have one or two beers, but sometimes I will run into more friends and have a few more. This is strictly a mathematical probability question with no judgement of which town is "better".

You have a lot of variables in there. You could have four beers in Town A, walk home and get in your car to go to your girlfriend's house and be arrested for DUI. You could have two beers in Town B, drive home, and not be stopped for DUI. BAC is proportional to how much you drink, not how far you drive.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Let me try another question. I'm a responsible driver, never had a DUI and its been ten years since my last speeding ticket. I like to met my friends for a beer or two in the evenings. I live in town "A" where there are 10 bars within walking distance of my house and this is where I go most of the time. But occasionally, I will met a friend that lives in town "B", ten miles away.

This situation almost describes where I live exactly.

Place A (where I live now): Might drink whatever I feel like, including more than a few drinks. Chance of getting a DUI is 0. Would never drive.

Place B (nearby town 10; well 7 miles away in real life): Will try to make sure to have no more than a couple drinks, watch myself in the back of my mind. If I think I had too much or just feel off will wait a long time to sober up. If I'm irresponsible and overconfident I might end up behind the wheel pushing the DUI limit. If I suspect I am drunk and it's too late at night I can sleep over at friend's. Depending on situation, there's a good chance there'll be a bus anyway; it runs very late at night.

So Place B has a number of alternates in case I'm not cautious so chance is extremely low. However, the chance of driving drunk at Place A is definitely 0 and any positive number is greater than 0, so I am more likely to get a DUI in Place B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning