Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2012, 02:30 PM

32,197 posts, read 34,961,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No, more like foot-in-mouth.
Foot in mouth? So the West Coast has more aristocratic, blue-blood families than the Northeast, then?

The Kennedy Family - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 02:33 PM

37,397 posts, read 39,841,430 times
Pretty much all I'm getting out of this argument is that NYC is an absolute beast in virtually all categories and the Bay Area pushes well above its weight economically.

Chicago really should get some friends. Like a super powerful Detroit or something would be nice. The Twin Cities are kind of coming along, right?

Old 09-17-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Pretty much all I'm getting out of this argument is that NYC is an absolute beast in virtually all categories and the Bay Area pushes well above its weight economically.
Pretty much.

Quote:
Chicago really should get some friends. Like a super powerful Detroit or something would be nice. The Twin Cities are kind of coming along, right?
STL's not too shabby either.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:38 PM

6,843 posts, read 11,024,154 times
Quote:
That's the thing, I think most Americans are rooting for a Detroit comeback. I know I am, I always find myself hoping that it turns into the next "it" spot and reinvents itself. It's a place with about 6 million people when Windsor is factored in. Just imagine the potential of a place with architecture in a unique condition like that come back to life. Not to mention one of the worlds leading transnational trade posts and along the NAFTA corridor.

I've always said that Los Angeles & Detroit in the 21st century could swap their niche industries and thrive off of it. Los Angeles can make the automobile industry so much more powerful by being based on the west coast where its the largest port and China is the largest buyer of American cars outside of the United States. Detroit and its vicinity have the scenery and architecture to pull off a Hollywood too.

I regress though both cities do their industries just right but it would be an interesting idea, I suppose.

On Minneapolis, its sort of the Seattle or Boston of the Midwest just smaller and its coming along pretty well. It's just at a measurable size disadvantage compared to Chicago.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:38 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,818,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Foot in mouth? So the West Coast has more aristocratic, blue-blood families than the Northeast, then?
So you do actually care about something like this?

Old 09-17-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
So you do actually care about something like this?
Of course. My grandmother was Ethel Kennedy's long lost Jewish-Jamaican cousin on her father's godmother's side...second cousin, that is.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:45 PM

22,378 posts, read 39,094,843 times
Quote:
Of course. My grandmother was Ethel Kennedy's long lost Jewish-Jamaican cousin on her father's godmother's side...second cousin, that is.
And all this time I thought you were related to (Princess) Grace Kelly go figure

Old 09-17-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
And all this time I thought you were related to (Princess) Grace Kelly go figure
She was a Philly girl

Old 09-17-2012, 03:12 PM

36,715 posts, read 67,816,708 times
Quote:
No $32 billion dollar university endowments. No $3 trillion GDP. No aristocratic families dating back to the 18th Century. No Sotheby's and Christie's showroom. No connections to Paris, London, Milan, Rome and Amsterdam (i.e., real "culture" and sophistication). Only Asian outposts that were conquered and developed by Europeans (Hong Kong) or completely humiliated and emasculated by the Americans (Japan)-Bajan Yankee

Who said that the West Coast has more? You said the West Coast has NONE. FALSE

Furthermore, your comments about Europe and Asia are embarrassing and juvenile. And very foot-in-mouthish.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:51 PM

14 posts, read 36,446 times
Default most urban city

The most urban city in the US has to New York City, it's the only city you can get," beat up in the ER and treated at the same time".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning