Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 12:21 PM

531 posts, read 1,146,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I'll never under you people who have this strong dislike for cars. You guys act like driving was the worse creation of this country. Where is the hate for buses, and cabs. those are automobiles, what about planes, you have an issue with those too?
And I'll never understand why some people have a love affair with cars.

Personally, I look at our car as an appliance. I only have dislike for it when its usefulness is hindered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 01:19 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Quote:
I'll never under you people who have this strong dislike for cars. You guys act like driving was the worse creation of this country. Where is the hate for buses, and cabs. those are automobiles, what about planes, you have an issue with those too?
Even though I'm unable to drive, I love cars, too. I'm more of a classic car enthusiast, and love walking around car shows. (in fact, I owned a 1964 Fairlane for awhile, just because I like the way they look.) But, I really hate how we, as a country, have "painted ourselves into a corner" by becoming so auto-dependent. It's a particular sore-spot with me, because I can't drive. I often feel like a second class citizen because so much of the US has been built to accommodate the automobile, often at the expense of the non-driver.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:26 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Even though I'm unable to drive, I love cars, too. I'm more of a classic car enthusiast, and love walking around car shows. (in fact, I owned a 1964 Fairlane for awhile, just because I like the way they look.) But, I really hate how we, as a country, have "painted ourselves into a corner" by becoming so auto-dependent. It's a particular sore-spot with me, because I can't drive. I often feel like a second class citizen because so much of the US has been built to accommodate the automobile, often at the expense of the non-driver.
I always hear how we are auto-dependent. Did I miss the memo where every city in this country is car dependent. I must be blind or something, are there no places to live where you can walk?

Old 06-14-2012, 01:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
I always hear how we are auto-dependent. Did I miss the memo where every city in this country is car dependent. I must be blind or something, are there no places to live where you can walk?
Don't think he said every city, I think JR_C is living in a place where he can walk.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:55 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
True, but that's not really a counterpoint to the cost, in time, of driving as much as a statement that, yes, driving can cost less time if you don't have a superior PT option. Furthermore, that's a lot of qualifiers.
Driving typically costs less time than public transit. The main exceptions are if you live and work very close to stops on the same dedicated-ROW transit line, or if driving is absolutely hellish in your area AND there is public transit available.

Quote:
I'm not:

C.M. Hoehner, C.E. Barlow, P. Allen, M. Schootman. Commuting Distance, Cardiorespiratory Fitness, and Metabolic Risk. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, Volume 42, Issue 6 (June 2012)
"Commuting mode was unknown but likely by motorized private vehicles given travel patterns in this region."
In other words, your study was useless to determine any deleterious effects of driving. Commuting mode not only wasn't a variable in the study, it wasn't even known. All the study shows is that people who commute longer exercise less; it says nothing about how they commute.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:17 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,464,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Driving typically costs less time than public transit. The main exceptions are if you live and work very close to stops on the same dedicated-ROW transit line, or if driving is absolutely hellish in your area AND there is public transit available.
To bring this back in to focus, here's the original point I made, for which your reply is a tangent we went on:

Quote:
Take the San Francisco Bay area, for which the COL is generally high. Only by moving to the distant exurbs can one find significant cost declines. Because most of the region is suburban, prices fluctuate more by the desirability of the neighborhood than by linear distance to CBDs.

So, you can see, I was talking about costs and benefits of small and large distances to the CBD.

And you're right, PT also has costs, internal and external. Often, when people balance PT against cars, cars win. Though, I find myself concerned that people only compare the internalized costs.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
I think I was getting to the point of lower autocentricity. The OP didn't specificly ask only about total car-independence.

True, but that's not really a counterpoint to the cost, in time, of driving as much as a statement that, yes, driving can cost less time if you don't have a superior PT option. Furthermore, that's a lot of qualifiers.

I'm not:

C.M. Hoehner, C.E. Barlow, P. Allen, M. Schootman. Commuting Distance, Cardiorespiratory Fitness, and Metabolic Risk. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, Volume 42, Issue 6 (June 2012)
Talk about "Correlation does not equal causation"! Recurrent neck and back pain, high cholesterol, obesity, not feeling rested are all tied to the length of one's commute? And how do you know that these commute times do not include commutes by public transportation? Some of the cities on that list have a fairly high percentage of commuters who use PT.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:26 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,232,994 times
It is truly amazing to me how many 16 year olds could care less if they get a license right away.
This is a trend that I believe has affected the love affair with the car in this country. And the complexity of cars today means you never see teenagers working on their bucket of bolts in their parents' driveway anymore.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:39 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
It is truly amazing to me how many 16 year olds could care less if they get a license right away.
This is a trend that I believe has affected the love affair with the car in this country. And the complexity of cars today means you never see teenagers working on their bucket of bolts in their parents' driveway anymore.
How old are you? I just ask because even though I'm 35, and most kids I knew still got a licence at 16 when I was young (although I didn't) I didn't know anyone who changed their own oil, let alone knew how to repair a car, when in high school.

Might have more to do with where I grew up/the friends I ran with, however.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:42 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
In many states, it's harder to get a license at 16
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning