Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 07:23 AM

4,019 posts, read 3,950,516 times

Advertisements

here's an address located on a busy 7 lane arterial. the walkscore is 78, listed as 'very walkable' on walkscore. but I grew up in the area. so I know it is anything but walkable. the only people you see walking around are the homeless. and yet walkscore says the neighborhood is 'very walkable.' ....fail.

Walk Score of 15200 Magnolia St Westminster CA 92683

google streetview:
15200 Magnolia St 92683 - Google Maps

perhaps walkscore made a rare error? so I typed in another random address in OC that I'm familiar with.

7251 Judson Ave Westminster CA 92683 - $2,645/mo Apartment on Walk Score

google streetview:
7251 Judson Ave Westminster, CA 92683 - Google Maps

again I expected a low score because it is also located in a very suburban area. but walkscore gives it a 74, also listing it as 'Very Walkable.' I did this for a total of five addresses/areas in Orange County CA that I know to be very unwalkable and all but one scored as 'very walkable' on walkscore. for that matter, I can't think of even one neighborhood that could be described as 'very walkable' in Orange County but according to walkscore Orange County is full of them. I dont expect such a scoring system to be 100% perfect, but walkscore is so frequently far off the mark as to be virtually useless. it gets it wrong more times than not.

this article explains why walkscore is virtually useless. I don't know what else it might be good for but as a practical tool for real people looking for places to live that are actually and realistically walkable and not just theoretically walkable? in that regard I think walkscore gets an F.

'Walk Score' Is Great, But it Still Doesn't Capture 'Walk Appeal' - Commute - The Atlantic Cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 07:36 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
So ... just because you can walk it doesn't mean you should or would.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:58 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Americans have an abysmally low standard for walkability. A "walkable" area is any place that has sidewalks and less than six lanes of traffic.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
here's an address located on a busy 7 lane arterial. the walkscore is 78, listed as 'very walkable' on walkscore. but I grew up in the area. so I know it is anything but walkable. the only people you see walking around are the homeless. and yet walkscore says the neighborhood is 'very walkable.' ....fail.

Walk Score of 15200 Magnolia St Westminster CA 92683

google streetview:
15200 Magnolia St 92683 - Google Maps

perhaps walkscore made a rare error? so I typed in another random address in OC that I'm familiar with.

7251 Judson Ave Westminster CA 92683 - $2,645/mo Apartment on Walk Score

google streetview:
7251 Judson Ave Westminster, CA 92683 - Google Maps

again I expected a low score because it is also located in a very suburban area. but walkscore gives it a 74, also listing it as 'Very Walkable.' I did this for a total of five addresses/areas in Orange County CA that I know to be very unwalkable and all but one scored as 'very walkable' on walkscore. for that matter, I can't think of even one neighborhood that could be described as 'very walkable' in Orange County but according to walkscore Orange County is full of them. I dont expect such a scoring system to be 100% perfect, but walkscore is so frequently far off the mark as to be virtually useless. it gets it wrong more times than not.

this article explains why walkscore is virtually useless. I don't know what else it might be good for but as a practical tool for real people looking for places to live that are actually and realistically walkable and not just theoretically walkable? in that regard I think walkscore gets an F.

'Walk Score' Is Great, But it Still Doesn't Capture 'Walk Appeal' - Commute - The Atlantic Cities
Both of those neighborhoods have higher walk scores than Bloomingdale and Brightwood Park in DC. Brightwood only musters a 69

Bloomingdale, Washington D.C. Rentals and Apartments on Walk score

Bloomingdale, Washington, DC - Google Maps

Brightwood Park, Washington D.C. Rentals and Apartments on Walk score

Brightwood, Washington, DC - Google Maps

Old 08-14-2012, 09:34 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
He entered in exact addresses while you are comparing entire neighborhoods.

http://www.walkscore.com/CA/Westminster Walk Score of 62 - pretty terrible. I know I wouldn't walk there (actually, I probably would walk to the nearby big box retail centers every once and a while, but would call it far from walkable).

Come on people, learn to use the internetz.

Last edited by munchitup; 08-14-2012 at 09:49 AM..

Old 08-14-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Looking around Bloomingdale, I see almost no retail, except for one liquor store and a corner store, which is a nice addition but not useful for full grocery shopping. It is a very beautiful neighborhood, and probably pleasant to walk in, but not very useful for on-foot trips to the grocery store or other daily necessities. Very similar to my old neighborhood in Allston in that way - and part of the reason I had to be willing to walk a mile+ to the grocery store when I lived there.

Actually, that specific streetview you posted has a decent Walk Score of 85 (and better than the OC ones): Walk Score of 1806 1st St NW Washington DC 20001

Old 08-14-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
He entered in exact addresses while you are comparing entire neighborhoods.
My old address got a 78. The address I had before that (around the corner) got a 71. This is despite the fact that it's a 5 minute walk from the subway, around the corner from a local market, and a 10 minute walk from U Street.

Ledroit Park Market, 4th Street Northwest, Washington, DC - Google Maps

Old 08-14-2012, 10:03 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
My address is a 91 and I lived in a much, much smaller place than either of you.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
My old address got a 78. The address I had before that (around the corner) got a 71. This is despite the fact that it's a 5 minute walk from the subway, around the corner from a local market, and a 10 minute walk from U Street.

Ledroit Park Market, 4th Street Northwest, Washington, DC - Google Maps
Okay, so that seems unfair if the area is as good as you are making it out to be.

So the question is why? Why is Walk Score making your old neighborhood seem less walkable than it really is? It doesn't seem like a low-income or immigrant neighborhood where most of the amenities are not counted (which is one of the biggest complaints of Walk Score).

- If the market you are referring to is the Ledroit Park Market, maybe the reason the score is lower is because "This place is permanently closed".

Also, the Walk Score of that street view you posted is 86: Walk Score of 1901 4th St NW Washington DC 20001

Look, I agree Walk Score is flawed, but you guys are being ridiculous.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
My address is a 91 and I lived in a much, much smaller place than either of you.
Interesting - I am assuming you are close to the center of town?

Looks like my address is a 94 (I think it has improved since I moved, I believe it was 91).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I lived in a much, much smaller place than either of you.
What do you mean by this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning