Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 08:10 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I would never bike on road on a 40+ MPH road. 35 MPH WITH room is barely acceptable (and what I often have to put up with here in non-griddy fairfax. Best are places like the side streets of DC, where speeds are 25MPH tops. There are streets like that in the suburbs - in the griddier sections - but in the less griddy places they dont go anywhere.
Being a very frequent urban cyclist, I often debate with my friends biking in the city vs. biking in the country. The guys that ride long rides in the country claim that they're safer than riding in the city. My argument is always that I can keep up with traffic in the city, and while there may be more potential incidents, they're often far less damaging than the incidents in the countryside. In the city, you have more options, and traffic is burdened by stopping at stop signs and stop lights. Plus, drivers in the city are expecting pedestrians and bicyclists far more than someone winding around a corner on a country road only to see three cyclists riding 33% into their lane with cars coming the other way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 08:16 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
I hate riding in the "gentleman's farm" area of Baltimore County, and not just because of the freaking hills. The lanes are very narrow, usually without any shoulder. These are not modern roads, yet weekend warriors are up there every weekend getting it in. I found it unnerving with 45 mph traffic and no shoulder. I did it a few times and decided to just stick to the city in most cases.

Of course, I've been other places with similar topography and road width (Bainbridge Island comes to mind) where people drive slower and are more courteous to bikes.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I hate riding in the "gentleman's farm" area of Baltimore County, and not just because of the freaking hills. The lanes are very narrow, usually without any shoulder. These are not modern roads, yet weekend warriors are up there every weekend getting it in. I found it unnerving with 45 mph traffic and no shoulder. I did it a few times and decided to just stick to the city in most cases.

Of course, I've been other places with similar topography and road width (Bainbridge Island comes to mind) where people drive slower and are more courteous to bikes.
Same for me. Even riding downtown and back to my neighborhood feels far safer. I had a guy turn in front of me last week on a one way street. We were both in the left lane because I was going to turn at the next street, and he pulled into a parking lot right in front of me after approaching from behind quickly...but we were both going 10 - 15 mph. It was close, but I would have survived with a little bruise/scrape. Better than being mowed down with a 30 mph differential.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:33 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Meh. I'm very comfortable on the shoulderless rural roads here. Ditto with the ones in Upstate NY. Drivers seem polite and are able to pass easily. Many New England rural roads aren't very good for driving at higher speeds, though (usually not much more than 40 mph). Plus, there's a network of small backroads with very light traffic, some unpaved. I agree that shoulderless rural roads with heavy traffic can be a dangerous combination. Hills add to the excitement of rural riding. The challenge of trying to make it up a steep hill at a decent pace or watching your speedometer hit 35, 40 mph with the wind in your face. I labelled this road in California, best cycling road ever. Anyone agree?

Old 08-29-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Meh. I'm very comfortable on the shoulderless rural roads here. Ditto with the ones in Upstate NY. Drivers seem polite and are able to pass easily. Many New England rural roads aren't very good for driving at higher speeds, though (usually not much more than 40 mph). Plus, there's a network of small backroads with very light traffic, some unpaved. I agree that shoulderless rural roads with heavy traffic can be a dangerous combination. Hills add to the excitement of rural riding. The challenge of trying to make it up a steep hill at a decent pace or watching your speedometer hit 35, 40 mph with the wind in your face. I labelled this road in California, best cycling road ever. Anyone agree?

I agree in principle. I wish I was able to do more cycling in places like this.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

I agree, but don't do it often. I've been talking for years about a one week tour around the Chesapeake Bay that would yield some great views.

In terms of the shoulderless rural roads, I think it all depends on how many hills and how much winding the roads do. In the piedmont of VA, it's very windy/hilly and when you add no shoulder on the road, it's hard for cars to see and pass you safely.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I agree, but don't do it often. I've been talking for years about a one week tour around the Chesapeake Bay that would yield some great views.

You'd have to get a ride on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, and the Hatem Bridge (US 40). The only legal way to cross the Susquehanna in MD on a bike is via the Conowingo Dam.

Last edited by HandsUpThumbsDown; 08-29-2012 at 10:03 AM..

Old 08-29-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:

You'd have to get a ride on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, and the Hatem Bridge (US 40). The only legal way to cross the Susquehanna in MD on a bike is via the Conowingo Dam.
Good information, I hadn't thought of that. Actually, doing something like this in New England during the summer may be even better. The small towns and great little cities would be great to tour, as well as the amazing coastline.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Good information, I hadn't thought of that. Actually, doing something like this in New England during the summer may be even better. The small towns and great little cities would be great to tour, as well as the amazing coastline.
I'd say that it would be even better (and certainly less hot).

I scrapped plans to ride from Baltimore to the NH seacoast this summer. Maybe next year.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I'd say that it would be even better (and certainly less hot).

I scrapped plans to ride from Baltimore to the NH seacoast this summer. Maybe next year.
That sounds like a great plan. More than a week for sure (you don't want to be rushed). I know on certain trains Amtrak allows bikes, so it's always possible to use that as a way to get back south if you wanted to go too far north for a round-trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning