Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 12:15 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times

Advertisements

Actually I think some of the street views may have been removed at least for some parts of Texas. Several years ago when I was searching for small town property, I was able to go to street view on many of the side streets in some very small west Texas towns. Now those are mostly gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 01:53 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,598,154 times
I find Madrid particularly interesting....and beautiful.

Newly developed areas are built with density. They're also planned out a lot more elegantly and less chaotic than the older city centers.

Madrid, Spain - Google Maps

Old 01-10-2013, 02:06 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
found this mural at random:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Lyon,...3.03,,0,-24.98

Rio is a fun city to explore on streetview
Is this an example of "East Coast-centric" urbanity?

Old 01-10-2013, 03:08 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
While on the subject. I cannot understand why the back streets of the neighborhoods in Hatboro Pa. a middle ring suburb of Philadelphia are not yet covered. Therefore I cannot not view my childhood home and neighborhood on Streetview. What is up with that and are there any future plans by google to get those areas covered?

But I think Silvios is. IMHO the best cheesesteak found anywhere in the world

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Hatbo...358.26,,0,0.61

Old 01-10-2013, 06:07 PM

5,896 posts, read 6,097,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
I find Madrid particularly interesting....and beautiful.

Newly developed areas are built with density. They're also planned out a lot more elegantly and less chaotic than the older city centers.

I prefer the older areas of Spain, including much of the earlier post-war fabric, the newest areas feel a bit sterile to me.

I would say that this is one of the nicer new developments though, in Zaragoza, Spain:
Valencia, Spain - Google Maps

I think these are all built during the Franco years, although I don't support Franco's policies, what was built during his rule was quite urban. I'm not sure when the streets were built, but the buildings seem to be mostly post 1940.
Valencia, Spain - Google Maps
Barcelona suburb: Santa Coloma de Gramenet, Spain - Google Maps
Valencia suburb: Valencia, Spain - Google Maps
Cordoba: Córdoba, Spain - Google Maps
Benidorm: Benidorm, Spain - Google Maps

Older areas of Spanish cities are nice too of course, as long as there's not too much graffiti.
Barcelona: Barcelona, Spain - Google Maps
Murcia: Murcia, Spain - Google Maps
Seville: Sevilla, Spain - Google Maps
Valladolid: Valladolid, Spain - Google Maps

Old 01-10-2013, 06:38 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,552,080 times
Quote:
Actually, a good majority of the US is still in low-res outdated images. Google says they'll go back and update them eventually...
They updated many east coast places in 2011

Old 01-10-2013, 09:49 PM

5,896 posts, read 6,097,533 times
Just realized many areas in and around Bangkok are covered too. Looks like a cross of Taipei and Tokyo, but more flamboyant.
bangkok - Google Maps
bangkok - Google Maps
bangkok - Google Maps
bangkok - Google Maps

There's lots of housing subdivisions scattered about the agricultural areas outside the city.
Bangkok - Google Maps
Pratthana Country Home Rangsit-Nakhon Nayok Rangsit Thailand - Google Maps
Pratthana Country Home Rangsit-Nakhon Nayok Rangsit Thailand - Google Maps

Old 01-10-2013, 10:37 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,598,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
They updated many east coast places in 2011
Yea, there's a few downtown areas in the midwest with 2011 stamps.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:09 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
I like this area of Madrid more than most of the Spanish views that have already been posted:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Madri...359.27,,0,2.46

views of Spain need Spanish music. First group is from Madrid.

Hijo de la Luna — Mecano

and then this one:

Paco de Lucia - Rio Ancho - YouTube
which has the amusing youtube comment:

Why Paco still not in the UNESСO list of the intangible cultural heritage of humanity?

Last edited by nei; 01-11-2013 at 10:08 PM..

Old 01-13-2013, 05:56 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Actually, a good majority of the US is still in low-res outdated images. Google says they'll go back and update them eventually...
Actually 95% of the US hasn't been covered at all. Just take a look at some place like eastern Montana where only the major highways are covered (and maybe a few random small town back roads), and that coverage is only in low resolution.

I also noticed that in 2010 when Google got busted for using Streetview cars to spy on people's Wi-Fi networks, suddenly their interest in covering every single road in the country, seemed to disappear. Thats when they they adapted the new plan to go back and reshoot the important places in higher resolution. If they are ever going to get every single road in Streetview, they are going to have to get their act together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning