Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 04:33 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,259,082 times

Advertisements

A 2BR + den is the same rent as a studio in DC? It's sure not that way in any other city where I have lived. What the heck is a "den" in an apt. anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 05:28 PM

7,305 posts, read 13,449,087 times
The 2br would have to be in a less desirable neighborhood. The rent range in Washington is huge.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:52 PM

41,744 posts, read 74,732,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
A 2BR + den is the same rent as a studio in DC? It's sure not that way in any other city where I have lived. What the heck is a "den" in an apt. anyway?
Usually it's a wide spot in the foyer.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:14 PM

31,924 posts, read 34,421,649 times
Quote:
I think he meant on a square foot basis. A 2-BR would definitely cost way more than a studio apartment.

While I can't say I agree with the guy in the Washington Post article, I get where he's coming from. Especially after sitting through neighborhood meeting after meeting where the agenda item related to a bar's liquor license somehow transforms into a discussion about racism and gentrification. But I felt that some of the commenters on the article trivialized his concerns, some of which I thought were valid. I'll have to dig and find that article when I have time.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:28 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,326,496 times
[quote=Bajan Yankee;27621051]I was looking for this one specific article from the Washington Post on gentrification (of which there are many) where this long-time resident is basically quoted saying:

"If they want families to live here, then start building places for families to live in. I can't raise a family in a damn studio apartment."

So maybe there wouldn't be an impression that cities are for the young if larger units were constructed?[/quote]

Have to support you here. In Portland where I live, beautiful old houses are being demolished to make way for new apartment complexes. Within an area three blocks just of each other and two to five blocks from me in my lovely old neighborhood, one apartment building with 70 studio apartments around 400-500 sq ft and another of the same size with 50 units are being constructed. They will be four stories with a few retail shops on the ground floor. There have been similar larger buildings built all over Portland in older neighborhoods some with treadmill type lifts for bicycles. No elevators for people.

These units are definitely not for families. They are not for the elderly since the ground floors are taken up with retail space and many elderly people are not able to climb four flights of stairs although I realize there are those who can.

These apartments are built with young people in mind. True some of the buildings do have one bedroom apartments and a few two bedroom apartments but most are small studios as the ones I have described. Portland really doesn't much care for families these days.

I have lived in my neighborhood for nearly 25 years in apartments. Some have lived here even longer in homes and small apartment complexes. But a young urban planner has said just about what you are saying that city neighborhoods at least in this city are geared for the young. The new large buildings are geared for the young who are not meant to live in them for very long. Just a couple of years maybe. I guess this urban planner never heard that the constant upheaval of people on the move is one of the main causes of urban blight and a stable successful city neighborhood is one in which people stay.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:37 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,326,496 times
Quote:
When you first come into an apartment, there is a small space I would actually call an alcove. The model apartment will have a desk with a chair and maybe a small file cabinet. Sometimes another small piece of furniture.

In other days in a very old apartment in large cities like Chicago, it would be just the right size for a utility closet; kind of an alcove with a door.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:05 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,808,945 times
How did this thread on younger people migrate to seniors? One difference is older people may no longer be able to drive, while young adults choose not to.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:53 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,259,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think he meant on a square foot basis. A 2-BR would definitely cost way more than a studio apartment.

While I can't say I agree with the guy in the Washington Post article, I get where he's coming from. Especially after sitting through neighborhood meeting after meeting where the agenda item related to a bar's liquor license somehow transforms into a discussion about racism and gentrification. But I felt that some of the commenters on the article trivialized his concerns, some of which I thought were valid. I'll have to dig and find that article when I have time.
That makes sense.

My daughter has a 2 BR townhouse with a "loft". Said "loft" is about 4 X 6 ft. if that, and it overlooks the lower level of the TH. Definitely not a place one could set up a crib. DD has a desk and a computer set up there.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:56 PM

41,744 posts, read 74,732,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
How did this thread on younger people migrate to seniors?
It's a natural progression ...

Old 01-04-2013, 10:04 PM

593 posts, read 1,407,892 times
Quote:

A den in an apartment is a small bedroom without a door. I think that's why beaded curtains were invented. :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning