Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2013, 06:16 PM

50 posts, read 66,459 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm kinda confused. Hawaii is a way different than I thought it was. Looks a way worse than most american (continent) cities. Looks like south america. Why?
How do you recover a city from this situation?

*I'm from south Brazil, fan of american cities.
Attached Thumbnails
Hawaii cities look like south Brazil. Why is Hawaii so worse than the rest of the U.S.?-hawaii-5.jpg   Hawaii cities look like south Brazil. Why is Hawaii so worse than the rest of the U.S.?-hawaii-4.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 07:46 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
I kinda like the look. Good mix of houses and green. Some of the houses look a bit run down and I don't care for the fences.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:16 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,735,156 times
Just guessing, but I'd say a lot of it has to do with extremely high property values vs comparatively low wages. A lot of the houses may be rental property, and the landlords may not be particularly interested in maintaining the property nicely, or they'd like to but can't afford it. I see the same thing in my own town but to a lesser extent.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:29 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,467,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iohanan View Post
Hi, I'm kinda confused. Hawaii is a way different than I thought it was. Looks a way worse than most american (continent) cities. Looks like south america. Why?
How do you recover a city from this situation?

*I'm from south Brazil, fan of american cities.
What's the problem?

[looks fine to me]

Old 01-11-2013, 08:29 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
or maybe because both are tropical

Old 01-12-2013, 03:12 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,881 times
I'm from Hawaii. Kalihi is the poorest part of Honolulu, proper, and sometimes considered a slum. There are many extremely beautiful parts of city as well. Those photos are like saying Spanish Harlem is representative of housing stock in Manhattan.

However, average housing stock in Honolulu is poor compared to the rest of the country. Part of it is climate. There's no frost and few houses need air conditioning. Without insulation, many houses are single-wall construction. They look at lot shabbier than they are. Land is scarce and lots are very small.

Real estate is expensive, comparable to New York or San Francisco, and very difficult for the middle class to afford. You get much more for your money on the mainland.

To put this in perspective, my family is quite well-off. My father designed a house for us in the late 70s. It has double-wall construction on a half-acre lot with five bedrooms and four garages. It also had a large in-ground pool, hot-tub and even a fireplace (more out of whim than necessity).

Growing up, my friends thought it an impossibly grand mansion, and, by Hawaiian standards, it is. It’s nice enough, but would be quite ordinary in Texas or southern California.

Last edited by tpk-nyc; 01-12-2013 at 03:50 PM..

Old 01-13-2013, 02:48 AM

1,479 posts, read 2,718,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iohanan View Post
Looks a way worse than most american (continent) cities.
How exactly are they "worse" as you put it? Just because they're not sprawling concrete jungles doesnt mean they're worse, just different. Have only been to Hilo and Kona and I thought both were quite charming and the fact that the homes and infrastructre blended into the landscape more than most mainland cities was better IMO. More eco friendly, more pedestrian and bicyclist friendly and on and on. There's no way you'll ever convince me that a crowded, dirty, polluted, concrete jungle toilet like L.A. is better than Hilo.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:56 AM

1,479 posts, read 2,718,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Growing up, my friends thought it an impossibly grand mansion, and, by Hawaiian standards, it is. It’s nice enough, but would be quite ordinary in Texas or southern California.
Why would you need a ginormous house in Hawaii in the first place. If I lived in Hawaii the only time I'd be home would be to get some sleep or cook a quick meal. Otherwise, I'd be out surfing or mountain biking or doing any of the other things that the beautiful natural environment in Hawaii has to offer. Texas sucks. Those houses are huge because the people that live in them have to stay indoors all of the time due to the crappy weather and ugly, barren landscape.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:24 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
You might want to take a trip over to te Hawaii forum and read a few more threads like the one below:

//www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...ut-hawaii.html

which explains why so many haoles (a/k/a white Anglo mainlanders, who are a minority in Hawaii) head home with their starry notions scattered after a few months.

Hawaii is a beautiful place, but it has its shortcomings the same as everywhere else, and attempts to "fix" them by the local power-brokers, as always, just spread the disillusionment around.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:33 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,359 times
Hawaii is a laid back place, that kind of cultural environment doesn't exactly breed the "cream of the crop" so to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning