Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 07:22 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
Why wouldn't it make sense? What doesn't make sense is the compunction to label another political subdivision of the state as "suburb".
Again, what is your definition of a suburb? Difficult to compare ideas if I don't even know what you consider a suburb.

As for my notion, a predominantly residential location (unincorporated area, incorporated town or city, whatever), which functions primarily as a commuter bedroom community for a nearby city which is larger and/or a more important economic/political/cultural/etc. center and for that city's metropolitan area is a suburb.

Things get more complicated when you talk about edge cities, satellite cities, etc., which are local economic centers outside the principal city but part of the metro area. If those places function largely as local economic centers for surrounding suburbs and also have a significant bedroom/commuter function, I'd say they too are suburbs.

That's at least a brief look at what I consider a suburb. What's your definition? I can't really discuss this with you without having some idea what you do consider a suburb, not just what you don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 08:31 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
If it is an incorporated municipality or city then why refer to it as a suburb? It is a city in its own right.
OMG, are you kidding me?

I wish I could find my favorite head-banging smiley ...

Old 09-18-2015, 01:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Again, what is your definition of a suburb? Difficult to compare ideas if I don't even know what you consider a suburb.

As for my notion, a predominantly residential location (unincorporated area, incorporated town or city, whatever), which functions primarily as a commuter bedroom community for a nearby city which is larger and/or a more important economic/political/cultural/etc. center and for that city's metropolitan area is a suburb.

Things get more complicated when you talk about edge cities, satellite cities, etc., which are local economic centers outside the principal city but part of the metro area. If those places function largely as local economic centers for surrounding suburbs and also have a significant bedroom/commuter function, I'd say they too are suburbs.

That's at least a brief look at what I consider a suburb. What's your definition? I can't really discuss this with you without having some idea what you do consider a suburb, not just what you don't.
This board has struggled with a definition of suburb for years. I don't think we've ever come to a consensus. I agree in general with your definitions.

I remember years ago (close to 30 now I think) Newsweek magazine did an article on suburbs that contained every possible suburban stereotype. A friend asked me what I thought of the article and I said I had lived near large cities most of my life, and by their definition, I never lived in a suburb! Every place I've lived near a city has had a good sense of community with probably more community involvement than large cities do. My father was a councilman in the little 800 person burb we lived in near Pittsburgh, something that would have been impossible in the city b/c 1) My dad was a Republican in a heavily Democratic area and muni elections in PA are partisan, 2) Pittsburgh is run by a corrupt political machine (sorry eschaton, but that's the truth). He was also a volunteer fireman, and my mom was on the recreation board. Those are paid positions in a big city. Fast forward to living in suburban Denver, my town has been voted the #1 place to live in the US (towns under 20,000) twice by CNN Money, and is usually in the top 5 or so every year. (#4 this year: Money Magazine’s ‘Best Places’ Rankings Include 2 Colorado Towns « CBS Denver) Now I have been on record as thinking these lists are a bunch of hooey, but my town obviously has what they're looking for. I've been active with the schools and local politics, never elective but an advocate for the rec center and other issues. We are big fans of the local community theater, go to the local festivals, etc. My dad always encouraged us to get involved in local politics, and my brother is now treasurer of the Democratic Party in his little Pittsburgh burb, again, probably something he couldn't do in the city.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 09-18-2015 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: minor corrections

Old 09-18-2015, 01:56 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Good to see you, Kat!

As you know, even though I may not post here frequently, I have shown up from time to time to join the discussions here. Because of this, I'm aware that agreement on even some basic definition of "suburb" has been hard to come by. In the case of the post you quoted, I was addressing a situation involving a specific member: the fact that the person has repeatedly disagreed with others' pictures of what a suburb was without offering his own ideas.

That's not the same situation you and I have encountered in the past, when we have taken the same side in debates with others who have trashed the 'burbs for supposedly lacking the sense of community you described in your last post. At least those people said something such as: suburbs are bland, sterile stretches of tract housing, malls, warehouse stores, feeder roads, etc., with no soul, no sense of community, and the like, and a place that isn't like this is not a suburb.

You and I both disagreed with that, but at least we had a picture of what the other person meant by the term "suburb." The person I addressed in this thread has not even provided that starting point, which makes discussion, even with disagreement, just a bit difficult.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Good to see you, Kat!

As you know, even though I may not post here frequently, I have shown up from time to time to join the discussions here. Because of this, I'm aware that agreement on even some basic definition of "suburb" has been hard to come by. In the case of the post you quoted, I was addressing a situation involving a specific member: the fact that the person has repeatedly disagreed with others' pictures of what a suburb was without offering his own ideas.

That's not the same situation you and I have encountered in the past, when we have taken the same side in debates with others who have trashed the 'burbs for supposedly lacking the sense of community you described in your last post. At least those people said something such as: suburbs are bland, sterile stretches of tract housing, malls, warehouse stores, feeder roads, etc., with no soul, no sense of community, and the like, and a place that isn't like this is not a suburb.

You and I both disagreed with that, but at least we had a picture of what the other person meant by the term "suburb." The person I addressed in this thread has not even provided that starting point, which makes discussion, even with disagreement, just a bit difficult.
I know; I was just taking your post as a jumping off point! Good to see you, too!

Old 09-24-2015, 05:49 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,606,127 times
In Europe which has a much older urban history than the USA, many suburbs and city districts existed before as independent towns. I believe, you can find the same in north of East Coast of the USA.
Saint-Denis a famous northern inner suburb of Paris, existed during the middle age, yet today Saint-Denis is totally dependant of Paris.
It does not owe its foundation to Paris but it owes its current existance to Paris.

Saint-Denis has a vibrant town center and attract more and more companies but people don't come in Saint-Denis because it is Saint-Denis but because it is part of Paris area.
Despite its vibrant town center and its more and more numerous jobs, I can't say that Saint-Denis is a city on its own right because the attractivity of Saint-Denis does not come from Saint-Denis.

Cassini map from the 18th century.

État-Major map from the mid 19th century.

Today, satellite view of Google Map

Old 09-24-2015, 09:32 PM

^^In the US, many burbs were once independent towns as well. Many were farm towns; the suburban city where I live was a coal-mining town.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 09-24-2015 at 09:54 PM..

Old 09-26-2015, 06:43 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
^^In the US, many burbs were once independent towns as well. Many were farm towns; the suburban city where I live was a coal-mining town.
I'd be careful using the term "many". I'd agree that some were once independent towns, but most suburbs of today grew as a result of the expanding cities that they are apart of.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:23 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I'd be careful using the term "many". I'd agree that some were once independent towns, but most suburbs of today grew as a result of the expanding cities that they are apart of.
How do you determine whether a town was ever "independent" or not? Every suburb of DC and Philadelphia I can think of off the top of my head was an independent town at some point; while they may be bedroom suburbs today, these suburbs were built around a town.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:41 PM

^^Exactly! (Again ) The cities I am most familiar with, Pittsburgh, Denver and Omaha all have a number of burbs that were once independent cities. . Of course, Omaha annexed most of 'em. But Papillion, which regularly makes the list of "best small towns in the US" is still separate and is the county seat of Sarpy County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning