Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 09:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

^^Pittsburgh and Omaha both annexed other towns as well. From what I read somewhere, Nebraska law allows the city of Omaha to annex any town in Douglas County that is <10,000 people. I can't verify that right now. They've practically annexed the whole county. Denver annexed Highlands in 1902. I believe that is the last town they annexed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 06:58 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Not all States allow cities or villages to tax incomes, but most prevent annexation of a incorporated town by a larger one. There is in most cases no differences between a city and a village, and some states have eliminated the latter title. But any place that incorporates as a village is admitting it doesn't expect to get that big. (the Village of Schaumburg IL being the notable exception).
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Hmm. A municipality doesn't incorporate here, a municipality is incorporated by definition. And the whole state is subdivided into municipalities [which may be towns or cities — only difference is the type of government]. Here's the incorporation date for the original municipalities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_at_formation

Most got subdivided later. Boston annexed other towns.
That's why I qualified my statement with "at least in Ohio." I only have a passing familiarity with the laws about municipalities in Ohio, but I'm totally ignorant of similar laws in other states.

Ohio's 88 counties were each divided into townships, are still unincorporated. Within a township, a group of residents can decide to incorporate. (there may be a minimum number of people necessary to start this process, but I don't know that number, off-hand) These people decide on the boundary they would like to incorporate, and everyone living in that boundary will then vote on the issue. In Ohio, the only difference between a city and a village (AFAIK) is that a village has less than 5000 people. If the population of a village grows, and exceeds 5000, they automatically become a city. A city/village can levy an income tax, but a township can't. And, it's easier for a neighboring city to annex township land. A city can try to annex land from a neighboring city/village, but the residents of that city/village get to vote on the issue.

I'm sure I'm oversimplifying this, too.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:33 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
I think it varies widely state by state. In California, townships aren't really a unit of government, there are just cities and counties. Millions live in unincorporated areas at the heart of many urban areas--about a million people in Los Angeles County live in unincorporated areas which are fully developed suburbs. The so-called "Uncity" just east of Sacramento includes about half a million people, about as many as the city itself. There are smaller and recently formed cities like Citrus Heights, Rancho Cordova and Elk Grove, but many in the unincorporated areas resist incorporation because it represents "another layer of government." The biggest "city" in El Dorado County, in the Sacramento metro area, is El Dorado Hills, which is a census-designated place with no city government. Of course, because they are fully developed urban areas, they all have special districts intended to manage things like parks, fire, streets and other things ordinarily handled by city government, but all handled separately, and without an elected body to manage them, so in many ways it's less efficient than just having a city government and less responsible to the people, but is presented as an "anti-government" alternative. Generally a group like the local Chamber of Commerce fills in as a sort of ersatz mayoral body, but they can't make laws or create taxes, and aren't answerable to voters either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning