Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 09:55 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
How close can grocery stores be to each other and still survive? Or better yet, how much density does it take to support two grocery store's a couple streets from each other. I ask this because there is a rumor that a new whole foods may be coming to a corner that is only a few street's from another development with a Giant underneath it. I wonder why Whole Food's would try to locate so close to another grocery store. Any thoughts?

PoPville » H Street to Get a Whole Foods Around 7th and H St, NE?
No idea, but I work in Evanston, IL and there is a Whole Foods directly across the street from a large Jewel/Osco, which are both <0.75 mi from another Whole Foods down the street, and a Trader Joe's is currently being constructed a block and a half from the Whole Foods/Jewel Osco area. Evanston has a density of ~ 9.5 k / sq mi, and all of those grocery stores that are currently existing seem to be thriving. I sometimes even go to one of the other Whole Foods to avoid crowds at the previous one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 10:05 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
How close can grocery stores be to each other and still survive? Or better yet, how much density does it take to support two grocery store's a couple streets from each other. I ask this because there is a rumor that a new whole foods may be coming to a corner that is only a few street's from another development with a Giant underneath it. I wonder why Whole Food's would try to locate so close to another grocery store. Any thoughts?

PoPville » H Street to Get a Whole Foods Around 7th and H St, NE?
Doesn't seem that strange. Wouldn't Whole Foods and Giant have dissimilar customer bases?

In fact, at Fairfax / 3rd in Los Angeles there is a Whole Foods and a Trader Joe's kitty-corner from each other. The Whole Foods at 3rd / Fairfax is 1.3 miles from the Whole Foods on Fairfax / Santa Monica. On Wilshire Blvd in Koreatown there is a Ralph's and a Von's right across the street from each other. The 3rd and Fairfax location is pretty upscale but not particularly dense (~10-12k ppsm) while the Koreatown location is pretty dense, around 60k ppsm.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:47 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Doesn't seem that strange. Wouldn't Whole Foods and Giant have dissimilar customer bases?

In fact, at Fairfax / 3rd in Los Angeles there is a Whole Foods and a Trader Joe's kitty-corner from each other. The Whole Foods at 3rd / Fairfax is 1.3 miles from the Whole Foods on Fairfax / Santa Monica. On Wilshire Blvd in Koreatown there is a Ralph's and a Von's right across the street from each other. The 3rd and Fairfax location is pretty upscale but not particularly dense (~10-12k ppsm) while the Koreatown location is pretty dense, around 60k ppsm.

Yeah I guess so. Giant isn't Whole Food's but is still pretty expensive. It's not a discount store. There are thousands of units in the pipeline for H street so maybe they can both be supported in the future. I would think Whole Food's would want to maybe locate at the other end of H street though. I guess it doesn't matter though, they know their market better than I do.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:28 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
I don't see any Google Street Maps for Chicago here. I think some people here get it, some don't. There's a mix here of floor level big stores and then stores on their own...and not counting some of the smaller outfits.

Examples)

Jewel Osco at the bottom of a 57 story building (actually two buildings share the base):
550 N State St, Chicago, IL - Google Maps

Whole Foods on the bottom of a 52 story residential building (yes it's the same building):
huron and state chicago - Google Maps

Dominick's in Streeterville:
255 East Grand Avenue, Chicago, IL - Google Maps

Mariano's in Lakeshore East (was under construction here):
grocery store near State & Ontario, Chicago, IL - Google Maps

Potash Market in Gold Coast at the foot of a 50 some story building:
Google Maps

These are some of the big ones. There's also a Trader Joe's in the neighborhood, although it's at the foot of a hotel. There is also an 60,000 sq foot Eataly (Mario Battali) opening in the same area as these in September.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:34 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
In Alameda, CA, the Safeway and the Trader Joe's are neighbors, with just a sidewalk separating the two. It was great -- very convenient. I tend to buy some things at TJ's and some things at Safeway, so I could do it all in one shopping trip.

Here in Minneapolis (or, rather, in an inner-ring suburb called Richfield), we have an Aldi's and a Lund's (upscale grocery store) sitting next to each other, but the design is not nearly as good (they each have their own parking lots and have doors facing the opposite directions. It's understandable -- the Lund's was there first, and it's an auto-centric, outdated design -- but it's also a lost opportunity. The customer base IS different, but perhaps if they were like the option in Alameda -- where people could park once (or walk) and hit both stores at once -- they'd both benefit. These days there are a lot of customers out there shopping both high and low. In the Richfield case, the two stores are right next to each other, but anyone arriving by car (which is the majority of people) has to leave one parking lot and drive the ten feet into the next one if they want to bundle their errands.

In any case, I think you can have grocery stores pretty close together and still support them, especially if they serve slightly different needs.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post

Not as much as you might think!

Old 02-02-2013, 01:26 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Not as much as you might think!
Mostly cause I have no idea what Giant was, just assumed it was a supermarket.

Do other cities have something like Gelson's, a grocery chain in Southern California? From what I can tell it is a totally normal grocery store, but is marketed as "upscale" and has higher prices even though it basically has the exact same selection as a standard grocery store.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Well, I just assumed Giant was a supermarket, too. But for the most part, these days, supermarkets have "organic" sections, or organic products within their regular sections. I just bought a bag of organic popcorn seeds yesterday at Albertson's. (A grocery chain) The major difference is that WF is more expensive, overall, they are non-unionized, and their CEO is a jerk. (Well, that last might be true of a lot of them.)

Old 02-13-2013, 10:24 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Now this is a very interesting grocery store project that slipped under my radar. There is an old roller skating rink/bowling alley that was converted to a Harris Teater Grocery Store but all the space is not being used on the upper level where the roller skating rink was. That space has been converted into 39 apartment lofts stepping up to the upper ceiling. Pretty interesting re-use.

http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blo...ting_rink/6653

Old 02-13-2013, 10:34 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, I just assumed Giant was a supermarket, too. But for the most part, these days, supermarkets have "organic" sections, or organic products within their regular sections. I just bought a bag of organic popcorn seeds yesterday at Albertson's. (A grocery chain) The major difference is that WF is more expensive, overall, they are non-unionized, and their CEO is a jerk. (Well, that last might be true of a lot of them.)
Giant is a very plain jane, middle of the road supermarket. I think it might be a good comparison to Albertson's (haven't been to one in years). But not every Giant, or Albertsons, is created equal - the products available depend on who is shopping there. There is some specialty and organic stuff at the Giant that is three blocks from where I am, but far more in wealthier neighborhoods.

TJ's isn't unionized either, but they are pretty good to their employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning