Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 11:48 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I have read many a "frugal living" website and blog.

Im pretty sure a lot of carfree folks dont spend time on frugal living websites. Maybe thats a biased sample?

I mean its a wonder companies like Zipcar and Car2Go make a living if all car free folks are mooching.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:51 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yep.

It was a gross generalization on people who don't own cars. Why I believe anecdotes from an internet forum over anecdotes from personal experience? I could provide plenty of anecdotes of people who don't own cars and aren't moochers, including previously myself.
I didn't read that whole thread, but from what I did read, no one was disagreeing with that assessment. Why is it always "anecdotal" when it's people bumming rides, but not when talking about those you know (including yourselves, you know who you are)?

Old 01-31-2013, 11:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
What she said was completely irrelevant. I made a point that global warming is something that has recently come to the forefront of our awareness. In fact the global cooling statement makes more point even more valid - young people have never had these conflicting messages, so perhaps that is why it is less of a challenge vs completely changing habits.

There are statistics that fly in the face of the anecdotal evidence being presented, which is weak at best.

Denigrating other generations is a definite stereotype of Baby Boomers. Guess it is true.
Well thank you very much! Here we go again, I should say! Let the insults start flying!

Were you even alive to hear that global cooling stuff in 1979? I recall the two winters Ohiogirl81 referenced very well. I then remember that as we approached the winter of 1979-80, the last winter I lived in Illinois, that the local head weatherperson said "We will not have another bad winter because there have never been three bad winters in a row here in Champaign". Well, wrong! We had another one! Kind of hard to get worked up about global warming when you're trying your darnedest to keep warm!

Old 01-31-2013, 11:57 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
I didn't read that whole thread, but from what I did read, no one was disagreeing with that assessment. Why is it always "anecdotal" when it's people bumming rides, but not when talking about those you know (including yourselves, you know who you are)?
I don't think my anecdotal evidence is any better than yours. But at least I have posted statistics that show people drive less than they have in the past, and young people are leading the charge, mostly due to the culture.

These statistics were written off because "young people are just mooching rides now instead of having their own car". I believe burden of proof would be on you in this case.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:58 AM

389 posts, read 470,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Im pretty sure a lot of carfree folks dont spend time on frugal living websites. Maybe thats a biased sample?

I mean its a wonder companies like Zipcar and Car2Go make a living if all car free folks are mooching.
I've never been on a frugal living site and my aim is a carfree location.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:59 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Reread my post. I called those anecdotes as well. Umm, yes I know who I am. This reads as:

Katiana: I read on internet forums those without a car mooch off others!
Me: Huh? I know plenty of people that lived without a car, including myself, and I wouldn't call any of them moochers.

But no, I don't really care what the people on that thread said. And certainly don't care to hear those anecdotes being generalized as moochers, it's insulting.

Last edited by nei; 01-31-2013 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: eek. typo

Old 01-31-2013, 12:00 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Were you even alive to hear that global cooling stuff in 1979? I recall the two winters Ohiogirl81 referenced very well. I then remember that as we approached the winter of 1979-80, the last winter I lived in Illinois, that the local head weatherperson said "We will not have another bad winter because there have never been three bad winters in a row here in Champaign". Well, wrong! We had another one! Kind of hard to get worked up about global warming when you're trying your darnedest to keep warm!
It doesn't matter, it's irrelevant. The global cooling stuff was made up from the media.

see:

http://aerosol.ucsd.edu/classes/sio2...8-myth1970.pdf

Last edited by nei; 01-31-2013 at 12:08 PM..

Old 01-31-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Well thank you very much! Here we go again, I should say! Let the insults start flying!

This too is irrelevant. And saying that is not an insult

My point (for the third time) was that because we grew up and matured with the knowledge of global warming and the threat of it (and no mixed messages like global cooling) it was easier to form our habits vs. older generations that had to change their habits. If anything repeating the global cold-down proves my point even more.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weteath View Post
I've never been on a frugal living site and my aim is a carfree location.
Are we talking about Lifehacker? That's the only one I have heard of, and I've never been on that site. My wife has a couple of times but most of the advice I've heard from them is non-mooching based.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:07 PM

389 posts, read 470,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Are we talking about Lifehacker? That's the only one I have heard of, and I've never been on that site. My wife has a couple of times but most of the advice I've heard from them is non-mooching based.
I'm not sure, I just replied to the assumption of carfree being a mooch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.