Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 08:27 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times

Advertisements

Something tells me the answer is Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 08:56 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Something tells me the answer is Dallas.
Well not Dallas itself but the zillions of smaller cities surrounding it. Arlington and Forth Worth included.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:55 AM

281 posts, read 750,769 times
I would think that would add to the quality of life. If in City A you were forced to live in a townhouse or apartment due to a shortage of single family homes that are affordable, and in City B you could pick a number of affordable single family homes, IF I liked single family homes with a yard and trees, that would encourage me to live in CITY B.

Last edited by Old Tired Man; 02-07-2013 at 11:08 AM..

Old 02-07-2013, 02:56 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Of course it is, but I don't think it's more than DFW and Atlanta.
I could understand DFW, but not Atlanta since Houston's metro is larger by over half a million. I must be missing something.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:37 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
You know what. I don't think you can discount Chicagoland here. Unless I am misreading the actual criteria. I don't know if it beats Houston, DFW, Atlanta, or Miami here. But nearly all of Chicagoland outside of Chicago is single family with yards and remember, there are 9.6 million people in Chicagoland. Even Oak Park. Heck even parts of the city which is bungalow nation.

I don't know percentage wise though but in raw numbers, Chicagoland probably wins this.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I could understand DFW, but not Atlanta since Houston's metro is larger by over half a million. I must be missing something.
The three metros are very similar but very different.

I would say Atl has the edge in condo numbers
Houston has the edge in apartments and townhomes
And Dfw has the edge in affordable but huge single family homes with swimming pool, sauna and room for a pony.

I am always awed by Houstons building pattern. They would build a new road far from civilization and you would think large lot homes would be the only thing going up there but apartments shoot up between like weeds.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:50 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
The three metros are very similar but very different.

I would say Atl has the edge in condo numbers
Houston has the edge in apartments and townhomes
And Dfw has the edge in affordable but huge single family homes with swimming pool, sauna and room for a pony.
I am always awed by Houstons building pattern. They would build a new road far from civilization and you would think large lot homes would be the only thing going up there but apartments shoot up between like weeds.
Atlanta suburbs have bigger lots though, right? I would agree that Houston's lots are probably the smallest throughout the metro area consistently.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Atlanta suburbs have bigger lots though, right? I would agree that Houston's lots are probably the smallest throughout the metro area consistently.
I am not just talking about the lots. Atl has the best lots. The houses fit in so well.

I was going more for the size of the houses and amenities. You get lots of house near lots of stuff in Dfw burbs.

Houstons burbs have been historically lacking in that you had to venture towards the central city to find things. In other words Houstons burbs were more burbs than independent self sustaining cities. But that is all changing.

Atls were more like houston in practice, although in theory they were independent cities like the set up in DFW. Again tho the set up is changing too.

As for houstons lots, yeah we do get jipped. Have you seen how narrow the lots are on streets such as Richmond, braeswood, etc in the loop? Its how they drive up density in these areas

Old 03-04-2015, 10:38 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Here's your answer, folks:

More Americans Move to Detached Houses | Newgeography.com

Oklahoma City comes out on top. If you're talking about very large metro areas, it looks like Detroit is the winner.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:46 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,941,918 times
Despite Miami's condo boom, there are a lot of houses with yards even within a few blocks of the skyscrapers. Yes, even on the Beach side there are still houses--a large fraction of Miami Beach is like this. And Miami ranks as the 4th highest metro area population on Wikipedia.

It seems counter-intuitive, but actually the further out in the suburbs you go, the more you find zero-lot line houses, townhouses, and condos, compared with the older (1950's-60's) "inner ring" closer to the city. You can walk 10 minutes out of Brickell and be in a residential neighbourhood with homes, then again, you can drive an hour and see condo complexes as you get off the highway exit. We don't really have a gradual decrease in density from skyscrapers to midrise buildings to lowrise/townhouses to houses here. Too bad so many of these neighbourhoods are undesirable, but there is some gentrification going on--especially as locals are priced out of condos due to higher down payments/deposits required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning