Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 11:12 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,752,780 times

Advertisements

How do you feel about the idea of HOT lanes or lanes that charge a toll based on congestion? At first, I didn't like it, but the more I read and although I don't think it is the miracle fix, I think it is good idea as long as there is a free carpool option to go along with it.

I know there has been an argument about them being "lexus lanes", but couldn't we say that about any toll road? The DC area where I live just currently opened its first HOT lanes project, dubbed the 495 Express lanes on the Capital Beltway, so far everyone I have talked to actually likes them. They don't use them everyday, but if they need to get home or get to the office, they like having that option there. They are also converting the HOV lane on I-95 in Northern Virginia into HOT lanes (w/ HOV-3 users still being free for them to use the road) project and expanding the road further south, where is has been literally years since I-95 was expanded, but the traffic congestion has become even more of an issue now with further growth along that corridor.

I think the bottom line is, the gas tax isn't a good source of revenue for roads anymore, since cars are becoming more fuel efficient. Also there comes a breaking point where you can't widen the road anymore. For example, look at Atlanta, where parts of I-75 and 85 widen to 12-16 lanes and they still have traffic issues. I think as long as the pricing is fair and reasonable (the jury is still out on that one...), it may not be such a bad idea. I'm still a big supporter of Transit Oriented Development and public transit, but open to this as well. What is everyone's opinion on them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLjhMwzYo68
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 11:24 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Interesting topic. I like 'em.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:14 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
They just installed them in Los Angeles on the 10 and 110 freeways. I think this is a trial run, and if it goes well they will become a permanent feature on the freeways. So far I think the results are mixed - on of the biggest complaints is that you have to have a transponder to use the HOV lanes now, even if you have the correct amount of passengers in your vehicle. In fact, I almost went into the lane driving with my wife but decided to not risk it - glad I didn't because the fine is not cheap.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:19 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
They just installed them in Los Angeles on the 10 and 110 freeways. I think this is a trial run, and if it goes well they will become a permanent feature on the freeways. So far I think the results are mixed - on of the biggest complaints is that you have to have a transponder to use the HOV lanes now, even if you have the correct amount of passengers in your vehicle. In fact, I almost went into the lane driving with my wife but decided to not risk it - glad I didn't because the fine is not cheap.
Some systems don't fine for not having a transponder, but instead send a bill to the registered owner of the vehicle.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:14 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Slightly different situation:

A friend of mine was on the SR-241 Toll Road in Orange County and he missed the stop to pay the toll. We figured he was going to get a ticket but I looked it up and he found that if he paid the toll within 3 days (if I recall correctly), there would no ticket. He paid the toll via telephone and he was good after that.

[you probably could have done the same]

Old 02-05-2013, 09:22 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times
I generally hate the way HOV lanes were done in the past.

But congestion pricing just makes sense. I would make the pricing VERY aggressive. Use the funds to construct transit projects and it's all for the better. Let the wealthy enjoy the freeways - the rabble can ride in the beautiful trains paid for by their contributions.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:01 AM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Still in their infancy in the Bay Area. They eventually plan of having 800 miles of HOT lanes, but the major obstacles getting into San Francisco is still going to be the bridges. They'll probable help spur more exurban growth more than anything else.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:03 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,626,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Some systems don't fine for not having a transponder, but instead send a bill to the registered owner of the vehicle.
We have this set up on one freeway so far in the Seattle area, and you don't need a transponder to drive in that lane if you have 2 or more people in the car. They have cameras set up that take pictures as you go by measuring the body heat so they can tell how many bodies are in the car- if there are more than one then you are fine, if there is only one in the car and you don't have the transponder then you get a bill mailed to you for a fine.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:52 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,464,673 times
I'd like to see a shift from gasoline taxes to pricing all freeway use, HOV lane or otherwise.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:10 PM

281 posts, read 750,645 times
As more and more roads become toll consumer behavior will change and there will be less trips to the mall or a restaurant or a show just for something to do. It becomes too expensive when you add the cost of the tolls to go out so we just stay at home. (and the malls and restaurants suffer)

The plan for charging us based on the number of miles we drive (along with $4 a gallon gasoline) will also discourage us from going places and business will suffer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning