Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 04:17 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
@Hands: Nice pic, but I don't think that's center city Vancouver. That's more to DH's liking for sure.
Looks more like Victoria than Vancouver, maybe one one of the islands around there.

Not far from Manhattan are some really nice places as far as nature goes, actually. Some of them you can even take a bus to :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 06:44 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Looks more like Victoria than Vancouver, maybe one one of the islands around there.

Not far from Manhattan are some really nice places as far as nature goes, actually. Some of them you can even take a bus to :-)
There sure are, especially north of
Manhattan in the Catskills and Hudson valley. I'm just a big fan of mountains + ocean.

The photo is from the Internet, but claims to be from cypress provincial park, nw of vancouver

Old 02-09-2013, 07:31 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I posted a link earlier. I'll search for it later today.
The link I had in mind only had rail rapid transit not buses. Here it is:

http://www.railvolution.org/rv2008_pdfs/rv2008_230e.pdf

It has buses more efficient than cars, but not by much. It depends on what average car occupancy and mileage you assume for cars. 1.14 people/ car was used for car occupancy because that's the average commute occupancy. It's interesting how much pollution by rapid rail transit is determined by the cleanliness of the power source. San Francisco's BART is the winner here as much of its energy source comes from drowning a U-shaped mountain valley rather from than from burning fossil fuels. Chicago's L and Atlanta's MARTA did especially badly from heavy reliance on coal.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:12 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:

Nope, that's near Vancouver, Victoria doesn't have such tall mountains like that to view the Gulf Islands from. Specifically, that was a pucture of Howe Sound and that spot is a about a half hour drive from Downtown Vancouver, just around Horseshoe Bay from West Vancouver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
The people I know who've visited Vancouver have been there for both work and for pleasure. I don't know anyone who has lived there, though. Just being there for a visit obviously isn't the same thing as living there permanently, but the overall comments I hear tend to be along the "what an amazing city! How do I get visa?!" variety. I don't know if they were evaluating costs -- but there are plenty of people out there who are willing to pay the premium to live in the right city.

To get back at least a little on topic, I think the ease of public transportation was part of the appeal. I can imagine that perhaps to someone who doesn't like cities they wouldn't understand the appeal. (no idea if your husband likes cities or not, but I'm assuming he's not a big urban fan if he doesn't like crowds)
I live in Vancouver, and Katiana's husband's criticisms have validity. Everything costs more in Canada then it does in the US generally due to some complicated economic reasons, but the defining fact of Vancouver is that real estate is outrageously expensive which leads to cramped living conditions and even more expensive items then the rest of the country (because rent for retailers is also high). Salaries aren't high to cover the costs as they are in NY and SF, much of this is driven by wealth earned elsewhere rather than local incomes.

Despite all that, this is a truly exceptional city. There's so much about it that is completely unique and while I didn't love it right away, living here for a year and half its charms have very much grown on me.

Anyhow, end of the day, you're right, it's about personal preferences and tastes. As regards the actual topic of the thread, we've got many electric trolley buses here in Vancouver. How do these compare as far as energy efficiency? Local power comes from hydro and wind, but if it were partially powered by coal, what percentage of coal would be enough to make it less green then a regular bus?

Old 02-09-2013, 11:04 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
B. Consolidate stops and eliminate non direct routes, to increase efficiency'
While too many stops can be a problem too few are also not good. Not everyone who uses transit is young and in good health.

Quote:
C. Use appropriate sized buses for the route - run small minibuses on less heavily utilized routes
This adds costs and interchangability issuses(i.e Large bus breaks down and smaller bus can't handle the load). In general the fewer different types and models there are the easier it will be to repair(i.e. scavange parts from other bus), fewer different types of parts you need to stock, fewer training issuses. Also adds delay if drivers need to change busses.

Quote:
D. To improve the economics of keeping a seperate fleet of such small minibuses, use lower paid, nonunion if necessary, drivers
Union busting in the name of being green....not a good idea.

Have you also considered the fact that some localities use Trolley busses(SF still uses them but most cities no longer have them, however SF buses can use desiel if the power line is down and some can operate on battery for a distance), some bueses don't use gas or desiel but use natural gas, some use biodesiel, and some use hybrid technology(which is more costly but the bus lasts longer)?

Old 02-09-2013, 11:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
It's not a picture of ANY city.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:44 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It's not a picture of ANY city.
Guy never said it was a city, said it was very near a city. And it is, like I said it's a 20-30 minutes from downtown Vancouver and there's a suburb just a little to the left of that image if I'm not mistaken. It's Cypress Mountain, you can take the city bus to it and go skiing there.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:10 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Guy never said it was a city, said it was very near a city. And it is, like I said it's a 20-30 minutes from downtown Vancouver and there's a suburb just a little to the left of that image if I'm not mistaken. It's Cypress Mountain, you can take the city bus to it and go skiing there.
But we were discussing a city! Oh, never mind. You can take a city bus in downtown Denver to Eldora ski area in Nederland as well.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:26 AM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
If you base your decisions on passenger miles per unit of fuel, the winner is neither buses nor automobiles.
It's electric traction rail.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:24 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
I apologize for posting a gorgeous picture and derailing the thread!

*Flogs self*

"Hail Mary, full of grace..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning