Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 03:51 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,853,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
So which "town" has the urban residential population?
Not sure I get the question exactly. All are "urban" and all have residential populations. I'm confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 03:58 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,907,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
Not sure I get the question exactly. All are "urban" and all have residential populations. I'm confused.
Well a few people have posted that in the larger cities downtown is more of the financial district and uptown has more of the large apartments and condos. Just wondering if your take or experiences had been the same.

By what I understand so far, Downtown is the financial/banking/commercial district along with entertainment including pubs, clubs, bars, venues, theaters, etc, uptown is more of the urban residential district with a few shops but more parks etc, not quite sure what midtown is.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:56 PM

15,759 posts, read 14,364,128 times
Downtown = south of 34th Street
Uptown = north of 59th Street
Midtown = Everything in between.

Wasn't that simple.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:22 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,111,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Downtown = south of 34th Street
Uptown = north of 59th Street
Midtown = Everything in between.

Wasn't that simple.
Simple, obvious, and wrong. That's a valid definition of Uptown (though others exclude the Upper East and Upper West Sides, there's a whole thread on it in the NYC forum), but Midtown extends at least to 31st street (Madison Square Garden/Penn Station and Macy's are certainly Midtown) and Downtown certainly doesn't extend north of 14th street (I wouldn't go anywhere near that far north myself; probably stop at Houston)

Old 08-08-2013, 09:57 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,194,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Simple, obvious, and wrong. That's a valid definition of Uptown (though others exclude the Upper East and Upper West Sides, there's a whole thread on it in the NYC forum), but Midtown extends at least to 31st street (Madison Square Garden/Penn Station and Macy's are certainly Midtown) and Downtown certainly doesn't extend north of 14th street (I wouldn't go anywhere near that far north myself; probably stop at Houston)
I thought downtown stops once the street grid becomes completely regular.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:42 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,853,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Well a few people have posted that in the larger cities downtown is more of the financial district and uptown has more of the large apartments and condos. Just wondering if your take or experiences had been the same.

By what I understand so far, Downtown is the financial/banking/commercial district along with entertainment including pubs, clubs, bars, venues, theaters, etc, uptown is more of the urban residential district with a few shops but more parks etc, not quite sure what midtown is.
As it goes for Minneapolis, Downtown is basically what you described it as, but it does have apartments and condos, ranging from newly built luxury apartments to high rise apartment towers to old brownstone apartments. Population is around 30,000 and growing.

Uptown is residential, with plenty of condos and apartments, but there are also brownstones and even some single family homes around uptown. It's mainly known for being a retail/entertainment/food district. Population is around 22,000 and growing.
This is where Uptown is: https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...33023&t=h&z=16

Midtown is residential in an average way, as it is mostly brownstones, low apartments and single family homes. But, in the center it is denser, and it is more of a shopping and cultural district with lots of ethnic foods and shops. It is famous for the Midtown Global Market, which is the tallest building in the district in an old Sears building, but it is now a global market. There is also a major hospital midtown. It isn't an official neighborhood but an "area" that doesn't have set borders, so I can't give a population.
This is where Midtown is: https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...33023&t=h&z=16

Old 08-09-2013, 02:31 PM

15,759 posts, read 14,364,128 times
Chelsea is considered downtown, and it's still in the grid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

Old 08-09-2013, 04:24 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,082,217 times
For Atlanta, we have a downtown which is one CBD with very little residential population, than Midtown which acts as another downtown and has a much higher residential population, then we have an uptown, but it's called Buckhead which is ANOTHER CBD and residential district.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:57 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,111,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That's one definition, and that's 14th street on the west side and Houston on the east.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW
Chelsea is considered downtown, and it's still in the grid.
I wouldn't call Chelsea downtown. Yeah, the Dream Hotel does, but the name is as pretentious as the rest of the place.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:54 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,815,410 times
San Diego surprisingly (for its size) has fairly well defined downtown and uptown areas. Downtown is also south and lower geographically than uptown so it's pretty easy to wrap your mind around it. Downtown is very compact, about 1.75 miles square with nine neighborhoods, and defined by the bay and the 5 freeway. Uptown are those mostly residential neighborhoods with small business districts immediately on the other side of the 5 and encircling Balboa Park (two neighborhoods deep) to the north and east, and up the hill.

We don't really have a midtown, but we have a Mid City which is kind of like a much wider band of neighborhoods extending out from uptown. And we have a tiny neighborhood by the airport called Middletown just to get you confused haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning