Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2013, 09:38 AM

21,873 posts, read 25,139,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Or maybe, just maybe, Chinese kids have more of a genetic predisposition to develop diabetes. Most diabetes in kids is Type I, which in not caused by overweight.
Actually, China has one of the lowest incidents of T1DM in the world along with Japan. A lot of it is genetic predisposition. Asians are just predisposed to get Type II diabetes once they switch over to the SAD-like diet. It's not like America (white America, anyway) where it's primarily a disease associated with obese people. India, for example, has a very low rate obesity and yet very high rates of diabetes. It hasn't always been like this... it's sort of like our "obesity epidemic," except diabetes is an actual disease and they really do have an epidemic.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:38 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
*Soccer moms are chauffeurs for more than soccer matches, don't you know !
And kids get more exercise than just playing soccer a couple times a week, don't you know.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:40 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Actually, China has one of the lowest incidents of T1DM in the world along with Japan. A lot of it is genetic predisposition. Asians are just predisposed to get Type II diabetes once they switch over to the SAD-like diet. It's not like America (white America, anyway) where it's primarily a disease associated with obese people. India, for example, has a very low rate obesity and yet very high rates of diabetes. It hasn't always been like this... it's sort of like our "obesity epidemic," except diabetes is an actual disease and they really do have an epidemic.
How interesting! Got a cite for that?

Old 02-20-2013, 06:16 PM

Results

Actually, my memory was slightly off. You have to dig into the spreadsheets to get to it. Hong Kong has a very low incident rate, mainland China is more similar to Canada (still much less than the US or parts of Europe that have high type I rates). Going back a few years to college classes.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:04 PM

^^ty!

Old 02-20-2013, 09:22 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,103,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
And kids get more exercise than just playing soccer a couple times a week, don't you know.
They would get even more exercise, if you remove "the soccer mom" and they walk or cycle to soccer practice, rather than being chauffeured - what a waste of talented, highly-educated women !

Get the living arrangement right, and the women could do something else than pilot their kiddies around the sprawl.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
They would get even more exercise, if you remove "the soccer mom" and they walk or cycle to soccer practice, rather than being chauffeured - what a waste of talented, highly-educated women !

Get the living arrangement right, and the women could do something else than pilot their kiddies around the sprawl.
What an insult to women, to actually believe that stupid stereotype that moms of school age kids spend their days driving their kids around! First of all, the kids are in school about 7 hours a day. Secondly, ever heard of car-pooling? While I think car pools are the devil's work, they do have their place when you work outside the home. Thirdly, in this day and age, a lot of dads do some of the driving. Heck, they did back when my kids, now 25 and 28, were doing this stuff.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What an insult to women, to actually believe that stupid stereotype that moms of school age kids spend their days driving their kids around! First of all, the kids are in school about 7 hours a day. Secondly, ever heard of car-pooling? While I think car pools are the devil's work, they do have their place when you work outside the home. Thirdly, in this day and age, a lot of dads do some of the driving. Heck, they did back when my kids, now 25 and 28, were doing this stuff.
Haha, yeah.

All the soccer moms I knew as a kid growing up did it because they wanted to. My mom worked.

The Lonely Life of 'Latchkey' Children, Say Two Experts, Is a National Disgrace - Kids & Family Life : People.com
Quote:
Are latchkey kids usually poor?

Tom: At an inner-city school, we found about one in three children was a latchkey kid. In a suburban area where family incomes average about $45,000, one in nine was a latchkey kid.
Old article, kind of interesting. As a semi-latchkey kid, I never experienced any of the social anxiety stuff. The thought of calling mom every time we got home at 3:00 and then hiding in the shower for two and a half hours is hilarious to me. We called if we WEREN'T going to be home.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:09 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,103,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Haha, yeah.

All the soccer moms I knew as a kid growing up did it because they wanted to. My mom worked.

The Lonely Life of 'Latchkey' Children, Say Two Experts, Is a National Disgrace - Kids & Family Life : People.com

Old article, kind of interesting. As a semi-latchkey kid, I never experienced any of the social anxiety stuff. The thought of calling mom every time we got home at 3:00 and then hiding in the shower for two and a half hours is hilarious to me. We called if we WEREN'T going to be home.
I'm with you on this.
It seems to me that many children are "coddled" in our present time.
But then, I am not a parent, so my opinion counts for little.

Still, I think many Gen-X and Gen-Y folk now want to live in walkable neighborhoods, where their teenaged children might walk to work - small town America is still like that in places.

Can people mention specific places, where you still find that?
I reckon they would also be less car-dependent places too.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:02 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
They would get even more exercise, if you remove "the soccer mom" and they walk or cycle to soccer practice, rather than being chauffeured
If you want your 6-year-old walking two or three miles across town to the soccer field at a neighboring elementary school, and crossing busy streets, that's your decision.

Quote:
what a waste of talented, highly-educated women !
Yes, what a waste to spend an hour or two watching your children learn, grow, and have fun ...

Quote:
I see you have no idea what you're talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning