Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 09:21 PM

132 posts, read 195,720 times

Advertisements

There are a huge number of things preventing people from living in central cities, rather than suburbs, and the first is cost. Rent costs more, groceries cost more, taxes cost more. The federal government subsidizes living in the suburbs and has for decades, and as such, the price is much lower and those areas are more accessible to people. It's a bit of baloney to say that most people want to live in suburbs when really, that choice isn't even there.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:40 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,102,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asderfut View Post
There are a huge number of things preventing people from living in central cities, rather than suburbs, and the first is cost. Rent costs more, groceries cost more, taxes cost more. The federal government subsidizes living in the suburbs and has for decades, and as such, the price is much lower and those areas are more accessible to people. It's a bit of baloney to say that most people want to live in suburbs when really, that choice isn't even there.
I agree.
What ever became of Small Towns?
With:
+ Walkable Downtowns, and
+ Rail links to the big city

Old 02-15-2013, 10:02 PM

132 posts, read 195,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
I agree.
What ever became of Small Towns?
With:
+ Walkable Downtowns, and
+ Rail links to the big city
I would say that the issue with small towns is that the very fact that they're small. Living in the suburbs, I don't frequent many places more than twenty minutes away; walking, biking or driving; so I would imagine that even between a rail connection and thriving downtown, some people might find that there still aren't enough things to do that are a reasonable distance away. I really like the idea of small urban enclaves with greenbelts or micro-agriculture replacing sprawl, but I don't know how economic that would be to implement.

I don't reliably know that people would rather live in big cities than suburbs or small town, I was just trying to point out that just because most people live in the suburbs, we can't draw the conclusion that that's "the market deciding."

Old 02-15-2013, 11:57 PM

Default Agrarian Urbanism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asderfut View Post
...I really like the idea of small urban enclaves with greenbelts or micro-agriculture replacing sprawl, but I don't know how economic that would be to implement.
It is a Dream, on its way to becoming a reality.
Take a look at this Video with a talk on Agrarian Urbanism by Andres Duany

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czHQERc8OiM

This image may give you some idea of what he is talking about

It the food can be grown locally, and the community is walkable, then the whole place begins to look more sustainable in a Long Emergency future, such as JH Kunstler has described

Old 02-16-2013, 07:18 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
Quote:
There are a huge number of things preventing people from living in central cities, rather than suburbs, and the first is cost. Rent costs more, groceries cost more, taxes cost more. The federal government subsidizes living in the suburbs and has for decades, and as such, the price is much lower and those areas are more accessible to people. It's a bit of baloney to say that most people want to live in suburbs when really, that choice isn't even there
Asderfut, This is simply not true in my mid sized city (200K). Plenty of affordable neighborhoods within 5 miles of downtown. Crime issues range from minimal to bad, bus service from OK to difficult, etc etc. The big problem is if you have kids - the school quality issues and getting various kids from afterschool activities could be a challenge.

Geologic, I think you are looking for a smallish town/city with a AmtraK stop. Look on their website to begin your search. You want a town large enough to support a chain grocery with organic offerings. Check the local forum to see if there is a tradition of organic farming /farmers markets. You'll be getting plenty of exercise as you will ride your bike a lot (no/minimal transit). Everyone in the US who pays income taxes supports the military, no matter where they live.

I can't help with specifics as I am not in NC/SC plus no Amtrak here.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Asderfut, This is simply not true in my mid sized city (200K). Plenty of affordable neighborhoods within 5 miles of downtown...

Geologic, I think you are looking for a smallish town/city with a AmtraK stop.
. . .
I can't help with specifics as I am not in NC/SC plus no Amtrak here.
I am not necessarily stuck on NC/SC.
In fact, I am looking at Denver at the moment. I am curious where your city is,
and whether one can enjoy carfree living.

I do hope people will wake up, and vote for politicians who are sincere about ending military overspending.
It benefits the Military-Industrial complex, and Israel, but not most taxpayers.
And I can say similar things about BigPharma-dominated medicine, and the Fed-dominated banking system.
End them all, free the country !

Old 02-16-2013, 07:59 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
I looked at an Amtrak map and here are some reccomendations:

Clemson SC and Greensboro NC. Both have colleges where you might find a few kindred spirits. Staunton VA is a refined town in a beautiful rural setting but I don't think the RE is too pricey.

What is your budget? Will you even be comfortable in a town where the majority don't think like you?

Old 02-16-2013, 09:17 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
I am not necessarily stuck on NC/SC.
In fact, I am looking at Denver at the moment. I am curious where your city is,
and whether one can enjoy carfree living.

I do hope people will wake up, and vote for politicians who are sincere about ending military overspending.
It benefits the Military-Industrial complex, and Israel, but not most taxpayers.
And I can say similar things about BigPharma-dominated medicine, and the Fed-dominated banking system.
End them all, free the country !

Look at Louisville, KY.
Because Kentucky has the image of a scary hillbilly state, it misses getting on a lot of peoples "where to move" list.
The neighborhood where I live has a thriving arts and culture scene, mostly local-owned business's, gorgeous and extensive Olmsted park system and you can exist car-free very easily.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:21 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
Love Louisville. Haven't been in years but I made sure to pedal down Hunter Thompsons street.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:29 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,463,073 times
We visited NYC in December and while it was an amazing trip, the reliance on public transportation bothered me. I felt to trapped, especially on the subway. You have to plan everything. You had to know your destination and what lines to connect to and just wow. And you have no control, you've left everything to your local government to ensure everything runs smoothly.

I know exactly what is wrong with my car and I control how I use it. I can change directions or destinations, and often do, with the turn of my wheel. And I don't have to share space with strangers. Like I said, it was fun by after 24 hours I had enough. I wanted out, too many people, too much planning. However, I see how it is a requirement with that many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning