Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 10:00 AM

6,514 posts, read 8,407,522 times

Advertisements

Everyone wants light rail, but is it really a game changer, or just another option? Older cities like Cleveland arguably have some form of it. Don't forget Detroit's "People Mover", but it seems like only cities with subways have true options. If that is true, reasons could be varied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 10:25 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,262,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Everyone wants light rail, but is it really a game changer, or just another option? Older cities like Cleveland arguably have some form of it. Don't forget Detroit's "People Mover", but it seems like only cities with subways have true options. If that is true, reasons could be varied.
It's faster and more reliable for longer distances than bus, but unless the city is dense enough it can't cover all but a few corridors. If there are specific busy corridors that helps a lot. As for "true options", most American cities with only light rail don't get all that high ridership, but outside the US light rail only system transport relatively high volumes. Calgary has only light rail with a weekday ridership of 250,000 / day and a metro population of 1.1 million. Nantes, France has an urban area population of 580,000 and 266,000 daily riders on its light rail system, with no subways.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:06 AM

195 posts, read 282,904 times
I think in the U.S it is. A lot of people want it just so they can boast about their city having a great public transit system, even if the bus network is not that great. It's comparatively very expensive, and should only really be used on a few high density corridors. It confuses me why Houston insists on building new lines into low density areas when a bus would do just as well, and operate at a much lower cost. At the end of the day most people don't care if their riding a train or a bus, as long as it gets from A to B in a timely manner.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:17 AM

16,505 posts, read 26,155,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apm193 View Post
I think in the U.S it is. A lot of people want it just so they can boast about their city having a great public transit system, even if the bus network is not that great. It's comparatively very expensive, and should only really be used on a few high density corridors. It confuses me why Houston insists on building new lines into low density areas when a bus would do just as well, and operate at a much lower cost. At the end of the day most people don't care if their riding a train or a bus, as long as it gets from A to B in a timely manner.
Are you talking about the east line?

Old 02-17-2013, 11:29 AM

195 posts, read 282,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Are you talking about the east line?
Yes. The southeast line also runs through low density areas but it does pass UH, so there might be a lot of college kids using it, especially because of the parking situation at UH.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:00 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,386,526 times
Like anything else, it needs to be done well and in the right places. I used Seattle's between the airport and downtown a couple of years back and it was great. It would make no sense anywhere in my hometown though.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:15 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,364,617 times
I think light rail is one of these things our children's children are going to look back at and laugh, just like we look at the old urban renewal projects and say "what were they thinking?" It seems virtually every city, even small cities like Salt Lake City, are building light rail and "TOD" at the end of the lines which is anything but actual TOD. I have documented Denver's problems before. Our transit agency ran out of money, even after we voted to increase taxes to complete the damn project. Now they are saying instead of extending LR to the northwest, they will build only so far, and then institute BRT for the rest. This has angered some of the suburban governments in the NW corridor, to the extent that one community is talking about witholding the tax receipts from the new tax until RTD can get its act together and complete the project.

Billions and billions of taxpayer dollars are being spent on these systems.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:30 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,262,798 times
The NW corridor is not light rail.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:35 PM

3,836 posts, read 5,743,917 times
Lightrail is different because whitey don't ride the bus. And I say that jokingly, but its also true. I'm sure some sociologist could come up with a reasons for this, I leave that to others. But if you want to get folks to give up cars and take public transit, buses aren't going to do the trick.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:41 PM

3,836 posts, read 5,743,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apm193 View Post
Building rail into low density areas would make sense only if the city is trying to direct growth into that area AND is willing to couple that with high density zoning w/n 1/2 mile of each train stops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning