Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 12:41 AM

19 posts, read 25,758 times

Advertisements

Could anyone fill me in on what the most ground-breaking, and successful sustainable urban planning projects in Europe have been so far? Ones that have already been set in motion are preferred to ones in their initial stages, as I am doing a paper on the topic and scholarly journal articles are a must.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 07:21 AM

5,897 posts, read 6,102,230 times
Are you looking for large urban development projects? I would say most large European cities have at least one

London: Canary Warf
Berlin: Potsdamer Platz
Montpellier: Antigone
Amsterdam: Eastern Docklands, Amsterdam Zuid
Dublin: IFSC and Point Village
Vienna: Kaisermuhlen

Malmo and Copenhagen have new (re)developments in their harbour as well.

Some cities were completely or largely destroyed during WWII and rebuilt/are rebuilding their city centers like Berlin and especially Warsaw and Dresden.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:21 PM

Yes, but sustainable ones. Ones that are made specifically to be energy efficient, carbon neutral, with a closed waste loop, short commutes, with compost facilities on site--that sort of thing.

I don't think the ones you listed are sustainable. Looked up Canary Wharf and nothing written about that.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:40 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Canary Wharf is a secondary business district a few miles from the old financial district. It's sustainable in the sense it's well connected to existing transit, doesn't use up much room or encourage sprawl I guess. Commutes to Canary Wharf are sometimes rather long, but it's London.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:02 PM

Thanks for the information. That's not radical enough to be of interest/use though.

For anyone else interested on this, here are the examples I'v found so far, just in note form:

>One Planet village in UK, by Bio Regional
>fuel cell hydrogen buses project across Europe by CHIC
>Alidhem in Sweden
>cloughjordan – ecovillage, ireland
>biosphere reserve: french-german cross-border protected area. UN>Unesco>Man and the Biosphere Programme
>Stockholm – Green Capital awarded in 2010
-750 km of bike lanes
-hammarby sjostad eco-district, development began over decade ago
-energy from waste. 3 types of waste (3 bins) are transported in separate underground chutes. Self-empyting bins.
-congestiont taxes
-bio-gas buses
-stockholm royal seaport: to stop sprawl, reuse brownfields. With traffic hierarchy: pedestrians first, bikes second.
-recognizes importance of aesthetics and user-friendliness
-organic garabage disposal in sink
>Malmo, sweden (3rd largest city)
-storage of cold and heat for later use/opposing seasons

Old 11-10-2013, 06:49 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
I grew up as an Army brat, I had lived in Germany during the mid 60s (Düsseldorf) and early 70s (Ilvesheim, between Mannheim and Heidelberg) and remember seeing a lot of buildings that were bombed during WWII, also saw a lot of old men missing arms and legs and otherwise disfigured. I remember seeing a lot of construction cranes in the big cities in certain sections.

When I was a teenager I went to Düsseldorf in 1979 and again in 1980. Their way of life is much different than the US, most people live in apartment buildings, owing your own home with a 3 car garage in a subdivision on an acre lot is unheard of. Owning a car there is a pain in the butt, first off just finding a place to park is a challenge in some areas and at the time the price of gas was around 1DM/liter which was over $2/gallon. I had gotten a pass to ride the strassenbahn and could go anywhere I wanted, they have taxis but I never had to use one. Life is actually easier there if you don't have a car. I had a cousin there that could not wait to turn 18 so she could get a drivers license any buy a car, by the time she was 20 she sold it, I had another cousin there who was my age, he could not believe that I was only 16 and had a license to drive a car in America.

Another major differences is their big cities are more liveable than big cities in the US, there is way more effort in up keep and cleaning, even buildings built in the 1500s in die Altstadt are in better condition than any American inner city, urban decay was just never allowed to happen. The streets were kept a lot cleaner, you just did not see trash in the streets anywhere. The level of crime is also a lot lower, it was never any big deal for me to walk from one place to another alone at night anywhere in the city.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:00 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times
Famous one in London Docklands:
BedZED - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Eva Lanxmeer ecodistrict in the Netherlands has been heavily studied I believe:
Separating Wastewater System in Ekoporten

The passive house is a German concept based on a maximal use of free enery sources:
15 years Passive House in Darmstadt - Kranichstein

Not really urban planning, rather sustainable architecture, but it is being implemented on a large scale, for example in the Hannover-Kronsberg district. The label (Passivhaus) is increasingly popular in other European countries, too.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:41 PM

642 posts, read 1,113,764 times
It's not in Europe, but Masdar City might be worth looking into.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
I grew up as an Army brat, I had lived in Germany during the mid 60s (Düsseldorf) and early 70s (Ilvesheim, between Mannheim and Heidelberg) and remember seeing a lot of buildings that were bombed during WWII, also saw a lot of old men missing arms and legs and otherwise disfigured. I remember seeing a lot of construction cranes in the big cities in certain sections.

When I was a teenager I went to Düsseldorf in 1979 and again in 1980. Their way of life is much different than the US, most people live in apartment buildings, owing your own home with a 3 car garage in a subdivision on an acre lot is unheard of. Owning a car there is a pain in the butt, first off just finding a place to park is a challenge in some areas and at the time the price of gas was around 1DM/liter which was over $2/gallon. I had gotten a pass to ride the strassenbahn and could go anywhere I wanted, they have taxis but I never had to use one. Life is actually easier there if you don't have a car. I had a cousin there that could not wait to turn 18 so she could get a drivers license any buy a car, by the time she was 20 she sold it, I had another cousin there who was my age, he could not believe that I was only 16 and had a license to drive a car in America.

Another major differences is their big cities are more liveable than big cities in the US, there is way more effort in up keep and cleaning, even buildings built in the 1500s in die Altstadt are in better condition than any American inner city, urban decay was just never allowed to happen. The streets were kept a lot cleaner, you just did not see trash in the streets anywhere. The level of crime is also a lot lower, it was never any big deal for me to walk from one place to another alone at night anywhere in the city.
Europe is all about regulations. They are so stringent. For example, Europe has banned around 1,100 cosmetics ingredients, whereas America has only banned 10. They are more cautious and thoughtful in their planning, laws, guidelines. And it sure does pay off.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post
It's not in Europe, but Masdar City might be worth looking into.
A green city in the country with the fourth most crude oil exports in the world? Interesting..

But my paper is strictly on Europe examples, since my class in on Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning