Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 09:20 AM

19,503 posts, read 9,530,130 times

Advertisements

Yes, I can see the Malls offsetting their costs for heating/air. Unfortunately, they raise them 2X, or 3x and most often on the little stores than the big named ones. I can understand the rationale for the smaller ones leaving. It’s sad, especially when it’s one that you visited/like more than the others and they relocate on the other side of town from where you normally travel to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 09:34 AM

46,944 posts, read 25,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Something that I watched start happening in the 90s also was more and more of the independent stores with a wide range of interesting product got replaced with Standard Mall Retailer #1, Standard Mall Retailer #2, and so on. All carrying basically the same product. Maybe a different label, but still basically clones of one another to the point it really didn't matter what store you were in. There was no reason to go to the mall because they had nothing I wanted to buy.
Yep. I recall wanting to get a jewelry box for for my wife's birthday, and dumb as I was, I thought the mall would be the place - dozens of stores, right? Wrong. All the chain stores select inventory by more or less the same algorithm, and jewelry boxes are a seasonal item.

Old 03-08-2019, 12:44 AM

394 posts, read 597,855 times
There are always exceptions but generally speaking the malls in Canadian cities that are still thriving are the high-end ones. The upkeep of malls is quite high and of course those higher costs are passed onto consumers. Higher income people however are not as price sensitive so are more than willing to pay extra for the comfort of shopping in an air conditioned or snow free enclosed mall with no rain to deal with. They are also more likely to enjoy shopping where they get more personal attention and pleasant environment as opposed to bargain basement Walmart where you are left to your own devices navigating an ugly monster warehouse.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:58 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,907 times
Malls might do well to look how Library's have re-invented themselves to stay viable with the seemingly slow demise of printed books and similar media in the wake of ever increasing technology giving us Kindles, Tablets, Online Media, etc.

They now have magazine/reading rooms with fireplaces, collections of very recent DVD's for those who don't want to shell out $8.00+ to see some stinker. Public meeting rooms where classes are given on a variety of subjects, skills, etc. by visiting teachers (and they are free), free passes to local museums and other venues, arranged bus tours to cultural events, etc.

In one Mall near me, a store that sells nearly everything one could want for their kitchen, they actually have a demonstration kitchen where they teach cooking classes. The idea being, I would imagine, offer something to the public that motivates them to go to the Mall, that they simply cannot get/reproduce with a faster/cheaper/easier method with technology/online shopping/improvements in shipping services.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:56 AM

8,499 posts, read 4,554,287 times
This 1828 indoor mall has been transformed:

The Arcade
Providence, RI

Arcade Providence: Micro-Living in America’s Oldest Shopping Mall

https://www.doorsopenri.org/2017/08/...de-providence/

Old 05-05-2019, 02:03 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,961,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
The King of Prussia Mall and Sawgrass Mills are as far from walkable as you're likely to get. KoP is your classic enclosed mall (actually 2) in the suburbs with a sea of parking, now with restaurants, a Crate and Barrel, a big-box strip mall (including a Nordstrom Rack), and a huge movie theatre on the perimeter. Sawgrass Mills is an enclosed outlet mall in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by a sea of parking, and containing a ridiculous number of so-called outlet stores, many of them duplicates of each other. Both pull in visitors not only locally, but regionally and even internationally (particularly in the case of Sawgrass Mills).

I'm not sure where they got that list; King of Prussia is bigger than Macy's Herald Square by any measure I can think of besides height. Also Macy's isn't a mall... it's one store.

Anyway, the death of the mall is greatly exaggerated.
KOP is because it's in the middle of limited anythingville like much of central to central east PA, and it's not far from Philly.

The Malls around here are busy, walkable, in walking distance of transit, many jobs, housing, and condos, apartments right there.

Response to a six year old post. Walkable is the answer with more restaurants, and less/minimal retail.

The death of Malls in much of outer suburbia were many of them were built is far from exaggerated.

A list of some of the monsters is they are located in an area where transportation is limited, and COL can be lower.

Nothing like that around here. And still many people are driving.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post
I have spent alot of time in Aus & London, been to all the Westfield malls in Sydney including Burwood and Parramatta..and also the Westfield Malls in White CIty and Stratford, in London.
Compared to the US, there is more residential built closely around the malls plus public transit/ trains connecting to many of the malls....the malls also have grocery stores, services like post office, hardware stores/ pound stores etc. in the malls themselves (US malls don't usually have grocery stores or dollar stores or post offices in them...no banks in US malls either- just ATMs)

In the case of London malls- well the population density is very intense and people are all taking trains, buses etc near the malls, it is like the malls are "transit hubs" in a way, the crowd flow is alot...you just don't see that in the US. Even if you see it in NYC, it is not necessarily "near a mall"

I've been to malls in Asia and Canada too, and their good malls seem to be in good shape. I think it is mainly in the US where shopping malls are dying...

Bellevue Mall, is one of the few malls in the US where I think it still does quite well...
Not here in Baltimore County. All of that is here, and everything is close together. As long as you are not far from the York Road Corridor.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:36 PM

1,517 posts, read 989,641 times
Quote:
Tilt - has many games and interactive play
My generation (Gen Y) knew it as an "arcade".

Quote:
US malls don't usually have grocery stores or dollar stores or post offices in them...no banks in US malls either- just ATMs
Some still do but it's rare nowadays. That used to be a much more common arrangement until probably the late 70s or very early 80s. Today you see far more grocery stores/markets in strip malls than in full enclosed malls. Vancouver Mall AFAIK still has a full-service bank downstairs but has never had a grocery store, grocery stores in malls were becoming passé by the time its first phase was built.

Last edited by Ttark; 05-05-2019 at 02:47 PM..

Old 05-05-2019, 03:25 PM

Wegman's in Hunt Valley Town Center, or Whole Foods In Harbor East In Baltimore Passe?

Some folks live very different I guess.

Also, I can walk, or mostly bike to just about anything. Very Niche though. A couple miles east, or west an I would have to drive.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:51 AM

27,146 posts, read 13,434,325 times
Rather ironically Amazon is buying up shopping malls and turning them in to giant Amazon Warehouse facilities.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning