Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 07:19 PM

14,361 posts, read 16,890,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Some cities can do it. Washington D.C. prospered as the Federal Government exploded with new jobs under both Bush Jr. and Obama, thousands of new government jobs were added to the area bringing in a lot of young white professionals gentrifying the old and rundown neighborhoods of the old D.C.
Those young white professionals could have kept living in NOVA and Montgomery County however, as they had been doing for thirty years. They didn't, they moved to the city, which shows the premise of the original statement is patently wrong. There isn't a tipping point, so long as you have a growing job market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Here is another important question. Considering that there are both young White professionals and young Blacks professionals, why are young Black professionals less likely to take part in gentrifying old, rundown neighborhoods and Whites are more likely to do this?
I'm not going to, as a white man, tell a black man why other black men don't do something. If I had to hazard a guess, it would be because the negatives of city living are generally at most a generation back for most young black professionals (as black suburbanization didn't really start until the 1980s), whereas for whites at this point it's three or more generations back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 07:25 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,208,460 times
First of all Baltimore is not in irreversible decline, They are getting millions of new tourist dollars and their population is declining far less, the downtown area reported 150% rise in pop in the past decade. thats not irreversible decline. Second it has nothing to do with race, Atlanta is majority black and it seems to be doing fine and so is DC, Cleveland, Philadelphia and New Orleans.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:56 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,111,650 times
Quote:
The way I see it, these cities are majority Black, not because Blacks as of recent decided to make these cities their new homes. These cities are majority Black because many people did not want Blacks around them, and then later on in history, Blacks who had the means left the cities as well. Those who were left behind were often the poor and Black. Race is more a correlation. Correlation is not causation.
You're missing an important point: A certain vocal and violent subset of blacks drove the whites out of cities in the 1960s. Harlem and Philadelphia in 1964, Watts in 1965, Newark and Detroit in 1967, Washington and Baltimore in 1968. Yes, white flight had already begun. But the riots sure accelerated them. The rioters made the statement "This is OUR city" and the white people let them have it.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:39 PM

72,817 posts, read 62,152,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
You're missing an important point: A certain vocal and violent subset of blacks drove the whites out of cities in the 1960s. Harlem and Philadelphia in 1964, Watts in 1965, Newark and Detroit in 1967, Washington and Baltimore in 1968. Yes, white flight had already begun. But the riots sure accelerated them. The rioters made the statement "This is OUR city" and the white people let them have it.
I never said the riots didn't play a part. In fact, I think you need to read the rest of my posts on this thread.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Those young white professionals could have kept living in NOVA and Montgomery County however, as they had been doing for thirty years. They didn't, they moved to the city, which shows the premise of the original statement is patently wrong. There isn't a tipping point, so long as you have a growing job market.

I'm not going to, as a white man, tell a black man why other black men don't do something. If I had to hazard a guess, it would be because the negatives of city living are generally at most a generation back for most young black professionals (as black suburbanization didn't really start until the 1980s), whereas for whites at this point it's three or more generations back.
I just wanted people to think about the questions I am asking. I personally don't know why alot of Blacks aren't being part of gentrification.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:44 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,403,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
This idea has come to me after examining many demographics and statistics on cities. I've come to see that many cities with demographics that are majorly black, i.e. 60% or more are usually poverty stricken cities with high crime, deteriorating downtowns and inner city neighborhoods, abandoned buildings, etc.

As a quote from another thread's poster read:

Baltimore's poor are overwhelmingly Black American and their behavior exacts a tremendous social and economic toll on the city. Baltimore is hurtling towards Tamar Jacoby's "tipping point" of 70% Black. This is the point where she says cities experience an irreversible decline.

Who is Tamar Jacoby?

[link to his/her work]

Old 03-13-2013, 08:53 PM

7,305 posts, read 13,449,087 times
The days of Baltimore slipping into irreversible decline are over.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:05 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,194,339 times
Quote:
I just wanted people to think about the questions I am asking. I personally don't know why alot of Blacks aren't being part of gentrification.
Probably less than whites, particularly since they are poorer on average, but they are as well. Black gentrifiers are less obvious than white gentrifiers. From a thread on the NYC forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
100% not true. It *is* gentrifying but people don't notice as much as in W. Bed Stuy because these gentrifiers are black. Who do you think the coffee shops, frozen yoghurt shops, wine stores and new restaurants with "weekend" brunch in that area are catering to? Certainly not to Pookie and RayRay. They are going after the black guy who wears a bow tie and the black woman with the curly afro. If you look at an income map of Bed Stuy, by block, you'd see there is a clear higher income associated with the area the OP is moving into.
The census tracts in that area had a 25-30% income but is currently a few % white.

Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

Old 03-13-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Probably less than whites, particularly since they are poorer on average, but they are as well. Black gentrifiers are less obvious than white gentrifiers. From a thread on the NYC forum:

The census tracts in that area had a 25-30% income but is currently a few % white.

Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com
I didn't know that was taking place in Bedford-Stuyvesant. Maybe it is because Black gentrifiers can blend in with other Blacks that it isn't noticed as easily, at least in the case of Bed-Stuy.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:47 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,907,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Who is Tamar Jacoby?

[link to his/her work]
I do not have a link to Jacoby, however here is something similar.

Cities Past The Point Of No Return - Hartford Courant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning