Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 01:07 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
I don't see any neighborhoods in Philadelphia proper that have comparable values to the nice Main Line suburbs. Chestnut Hill and City Center West are well below Moorestown, Radnor, Lower Gwynedd, Bryn Mawr. You are also cherry picking--- the city as a whole is $106,000 vs. $190,000 for the Metro. Am I misinterpreting the definition of premium or does -$84,000 fall under some urban-post modern definition?
I'm taking about desirable areas. Someone looking out on the Main Line would also be checking out a place like Rittenhouse, not Nicetown, or even East Falls or Fox Chase. Square foot per square foot, Society Hill, Chestnut Hill, Fitler Square, etc. are right up there with the upper crust suburbs. The Zillow/Trulia-defined neighborhoods are overly large for the most part (people generally don't speak in terms of Center City "West" and "East;" and I don't know what you were looking at, but Chestnut Hill is, real estate wise, about on par with Merion of Wynnewood). And that's not taking into account the expensive cost of private school that is practically a necessity in those parts. That's the real killer for most upper middle class families. A family of four living off $90k would have trouble finding a sufficiently sized home in those neighborhoods in the first place.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:14 PM

406 posts, read 500,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
That's sort of the point of this discussion. Sprawl, of course, is horrific - on that we can agree. What allows people year after year to continue existing in it is an interesting question. Does TV help to dull the pain as the OP posits?
Nope, actually not everyone can't agree on that....if you can believe that there are actually people who are happy with other lifestyles besides your own, which I doubt you're capable of.

Quote:
...granite countertops...
Oh, nobody in urban areas has granite counter tops? Proof?

Quote:
Urbanism is healthy norm. Pathological is a good word to describe the diseased morbidity of sprawl.
I'd personally say that you come off acting pretty pathologically insane for insisting that your chosen lifestyle is some kind of "healthy norm", and acting as if anyone else who chooses to live somewhere else outside of your idea of urbanism is either unhappy or wrong for that decision.

Last edited by nei; 03-14-2013 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 03-14-2013, 01:35 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,759,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepRightPassLeft View Post
Nope, actually not everyone can't agree on that....if you can believe that there are actually people who are happy with other lifestyles besides your own, which I doubt you're capable of.

Oh, nobody in urban areas has granite counter tops? Proof?

I'd personally say that you come off acting pretty pathologically insane for insisting that your chosen lifestyle is some kind of "healthy norm", and acting as if anyone else who chooses to live somewhere else outside of your idea of urbanism is either unhappy or wrong for that decision.
//www.city-data.com/forum/urban...an-cities.html

"I love the giant freeways that go through cities, especially the huge stack interchanges in Texas.."

OK buddy If you say so.

Last edited by nei; 03-14-2013 at 01:44 PM..

Old 03-14-2013, 01:41 PM

3,349 posts, read 4,165,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I'm taking about desirable areas. Someone looking out on the Main Line would also be checking out a place like Rittenhouse, not Nicetown, or even East Falls or Fox Chase. Square foot per square foot, Society Hill, Chestnut Hill, Fitler Square, etc. are right up there with the upper crust suburbs. The Zillow/Trulia-defined neighborhoods are overly large for the most part (people generally don't speak in terms of Center City "West" and "East;" and I don't know what you were looking at, but Chestnut Hill is, real estate wise, about on par with Merion of Wynnewood). And that's not taking into account the expensive cost of private school that is practically a necessity in those parts. That's the real killer for most upper middle class families. A family of four living off $90k would have trouble finding a sufficiently sized home in those neighborhoods in the first place.
The Philly suburbs are more expensive than the city. You are cherry picking very narrow sub-neighborhoods and also comparing price per sq/foot which isn't the best metric since apts and townhouses are generally smaller in city limits.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:42 PM

406 posts, read 500,800 times
Quote:
//www.city-data.com/forum/urban...an-cities.html

"I love the giant freeways that go through cities, especially the huge stack interchanges in Texas.."

OK buddy If you say so.
Nice of you to post a clear example of why: I posted in a thread where the OP had asked "A thread about reasons that you love American cities from a Urban Planning point of view", to which I responded with my opinions about why I like what I do.

On the other hand, you come on here and pass judgement to others, with some kind of superiority complex that your desired lifestyle is the best, and that any other way is absolutely unsatisfying, unsettling and an unhappy place to everyone who lives there. What I post in my opinion is my opinion, I know not everyone will agree, especially on why they do or do not like the general layout of America's cities, however I don't throw around a bunch of incorrect opinionated nonsense and pass it on as some sort of fact or absolute, as if it's the only thing that everyone should just "get it" and do it "the right way", aka your opinion.

So yes, I most certainly do say so.

Last edited by nei; 03-14-2013 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: calling someone a troll is against the TOS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning