Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 07:01 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,521,960 times

Advertisements

"Freeways are awesome, end of story"??

No, it is not the end of story. The urban areas which host these highways may suffer greatly for your pleasure, economically and otherwise. It's only the end of the story if you don't care about urban residents. Looking at it so simplistically is a disservice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 07:26 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
^

Good post, I hate the density of those large cities like Chicago and NYC, I prefer the density you see out in Suburbia but the homes are way too big. I'm living in the perfect area right now, small cozy homes but very low dense compared to out east.

You can google map the area. search "Eastern Heights Luthern Church, Ruth street, St Paul, MN"
And from an urban planning standpoint, that's one of the things I dislike about American cities. While your view is pleasant looking, it's not a landscape likely to be full of pedestrians or creating a "bustling city" feel. Manhattan is extreme, but blocks of attached homes with maybe some detached ones mixed in (or something similar) with non-residential buildings fronting the street would be my preference. All but a handful of American cities are too spread out, even near the city center (the suburbs I don't care about as much, but I'd expect metros to have a dense, pedestrian-oriented section that's a sizeable (1/3 at least) fraction of the metro). And I do find narrow roads cozier, though obviously it'd be impractical for all roads to be narrow, but the side roads can be. Too many older American cities, especially the smaller ones, have rather dead city centers with the commercial focus moved to the periphery.

At least here, I do like the feel and architecture of older cities, at least the healthier ones, their history and they do a good job of mixing in greenery.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:53 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,553,316 times
The skyscrapers

Old 03-17-2013, 04:27 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times
New Orleans away from Bourbon St.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:29 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,954,867 times
Quote:
Lol yea, Minneapolis is probably one of the best cities for bicycling but the weather is usually very hot or very cold.

I don't know what it is about these sunny states. The weather is so sunny and mild in states like CA and FL yet people prefer driving around in their big cars and trucks all year round, with heavily tinted windows to make sure they don't get any sun on them. And they want to stay indoors in their suburban houses all day long. They're like vampires or something. There's no walking or biking culture whatsoever. If you ask a Californian about bikesharing they'll look at you like you're from outer space because it doesn't exist there. But in colder states like Colorado, Minnesota, Oregon, and the Northeast the pedestrian and cycling culture seem to be much more prominent and more mainstream. Go figure.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:05 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
I don't know what it is about these sunny states. The weather is so sunny and mild in states like CA and FL yet people prefer driving around in their big cars and trucks all year round, with heavily tinted windows to make sure they don't get any sun on them. And they want to stay indoors in their suburban houses all day long. They're like vampires or something. There's no walking or biking culture whatsoever. If you ask a Californian about bikesharing they'll look at you like you're from outer space because it doesn't exist there. But in colder states like Colorado, Minnesota, Oregon, and the Northeast the pedestrian and cycling culture seem to be much more prominent and more mainstream. Go figure.
What about SF, Venice Beach?

Old 03-17-2013, 07:07 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Bike culture is pretty well alive in both San Francisco and LA. You'll see a lot more people riding bikes in San Francisco or LA than in NYC.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
What about SF, Venice Beach?
there's no bikesharing in SF or LA. city officials love paying lip service but they have yet to implement anything. it takes them 10 to 20 years to install just a single block of bike lane on a street if you're lucky. they say there's no money for it and yet they will gladly spend 50 billion dollars on 40 miles of brand new interstate highways at the drop of a hat. when it comes to highways there's no red tape no waiting or nothing. thanks to pressure from the well-funded industry highway lobby they'll fast track that highway proposal quicker than you can say campaign contribution.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Bike culture is pretty well alive in both San Francisco and LA. You'll see a lot more people riding bikes in San Francisco or LA than in NYC.
there's some biking culture in but SF but SF is not California. the biking in LA is just recreational biking at the beach in Venice Beach on the weekends that's not a biking culture.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:57 PM

406 posts, read 501,567 times
Quote:
^

Good post, I hate the density of those large cities like Chicago and NYC, I prefer the density you see out in Suburbia but the homes are way too big. I'm living in the perfect area right now, small cozy homes but very low dense compared to out east.

You can google map the area. search "Eastern Heights Luthern Church, Ruth street, St Paul, MN"
Very nice neighborhood, very suburban. I prefer bigger homes and land, but I could definitely see myself living somewhere like that, sort of reminds me of my friend's neighborhood in Valley Stream, Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning