Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 12:51 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Chicago is the Deluxe Marriott with the Union Oyster House as its side restaurant...

Baltimore is the Motel 6 with an attached McDonald's....they are PRAYING for a Golden Corral..
I hope it didn't seem like I was speaking ill of Chicago... I was talking about the places I went thru on my WAY TO Chicago. Though, Chicago's 500 murders per annum are nothing that would require a hot-buffet sneeze guard. Baltimore is sort of like Chicago in miniature, though. I think the proportion of good and bad areas are similar. Chicago is a regional captiol of captial though, and its got a bunch more wealth.

Funny you say that about bit about a Motel 6, though ... Our most terrifying hotel in a rapidly-improving part of town recently changed brands from Addicts Inn to a Motel 6. And there was much rejoicing:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 01:00 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I hope it didn't seem like I was speaking ill of Chicago... I was talking about the places I went thru on my WAY TO Chicago. Though, Chicago's 500 murders per annum are nothing that would require a hot-buffet sneeze guard. Baltimore is sort of like Chicago in miniature, though. I think the proportion of good and bad areas are similar. Chicago is a regional captiol of captial though, and its got a bunch more wealth.

Funny you say that about bit about a Motel 6, though ... Our most terrifying hotel in a rapidly-improving part of town recently changed brands from Addicts Inn to a Motel 6. And there was much rejoicing:
There was a hotel called the "Addicts Inn"? Must have been a nickname..

Yes, it's true that some of the small, industrial towns and cities of the Rust Belt aren't all that attractive, but I should point out that such places as Trenton, Wilmington, Camden and large portions of Philly and Baltimore are not exactly,well....."easy on the eyes"...unless you have an affinity for rundown, rowhouse neighborhoods....

And by the way, "it was only a flesh wound!"

Last edited by MassVt; 03-20-2013 at 01:13 PM..

Old 03-20-2013, 01:12 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Quote:
Traveling a little bit in the rust belt this winter made me feel a lot better about Baltimore. It's like checking out the clinetelle at Golden Corral to make yourself feel better about putting on a few extra holiday pounds.
Quote:

Hey now! I don't know if you visited Youngstown on your trip, but some of us Rust Belt residents take pride in where we live, even if our city has been neglected a little over the last few decades.
//www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...-pictures.html

While even Youngstowners can say "at least we're not Detroit," I will freely admit that Ytown probably suffers from the most blight/abandonment in Ohio.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
There was a hotel called the "Addicts Inn"? Must have been a nickname..!"
Yes I was just being facetious. It was just an awful place (actually used to film a murder scene on The Wire), but has improved, thanks to the arts-fueled renovation of the Station-North area: Your Stop For the Eclectic - Station North Arts and Entertainment District

Quote:
Yes, it's true that some of the small, industrial towns and cities of the Rust Belt aren't all that attractive, but I should point out that such places as Trenton, Wilmington, Camden and large portions of Philly and Baltomore are not exactly,well....."easy on the eyes"...unless you have an affinity for rundown, rowhouse neighborhoods....!"
Of course! I don't have blinders on, and I mean not to disparage the midwest, but I was just expressing that upon seeing places that are truly, truly struggling - Camden, Gary, E. St Louis, etc - it puts things in perspective. It ain't all peaches and cream here, but there is a heck of a lot more going for it than some other places. I do have an affinity for rowhomes (I live in one), and many neighborhoods that contain them are improving. Riding through the city on Amtrak does not display anything worth looking at, however, and our Mayor is sort of embarassed by that.

The last census noted population growth for the first time in about 60 years too. I've spent a lot of time here throughout my life, and it's never seemed "less hopeless" than it does right now. We aren't ever going to give the mag. mile a run for its money but things are indeed getting better ... so long as you aren't involved in the heroin trade. That game is as deadly as ever.

Quote:
And by the way, "it was only a flesh wound!"
At least you weren't turned into a newt.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Hey now! I don't know if you visited Youngstown on your trip, but some of us Rust Belt residents take pride in where we live, even if our city has been neglected a little over the last few decades.
//www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...-pictures.html

While even Youngstowners can say "at least we're not Detroit," I will freely admit that Ytown probably suffers from the most blight/abandonment in Ohio.
I didn't mean to slight you or your town! I did not see Youngstown. I know all about pride in the presence of an abundance of evidence to the contrary. Heck, see my last post.

Baltimore, while not in the rust belt, has a lot of similarities to rust belt cities, namely that it was a tremendous manufacturer of steel.

I like living in a town that others are eager to write off. It's quite fun here. While Bhutan leads the world in Gross Domestic Happiness, we are surely a top producer of gallows humor and down-to-earth people.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:48 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Yes I was just being facetious. It was just an awful place (actually used to film a murder scene on The Wire), but has improved, thanks to the arts-fueled renovation of the Station-North area: Your Stop For the Eclectic - Station North Arts and Entertainment District

Of course! I don't have blinders on, and I mean not to disparage the midwest, but I was just expressing that upon seeing places that are truly, truly struggling - Camden, Gary, E. St Louis, etc - it puts things in perspective. It ain't all peaches and cream here, but there is a heck of a lot more going for it than some other places. I do have an affinity for rowhomes (I live in one), and many neighborhoods that contain them are improving. Riding through the city on Amtrak does not display anything worth looking at, however, and our Mayor is sort of embarassed by that.

The last census noted population growth for the first time in about 60 years too. I've spent a lot of time here throughout my life, and it's never seemed "less hopeless" than it does right now. We aren't ever going to give the mag. mile a run for its money but things are indeed getting better ... so long as you aren't involved in the heroin trade. That game is as deadly as ever.

At least you weren't turned into a newt.
Although I've spent time in both cities, the Amtrak ride through Philly and Baltimore is pretty revealing. To be blunt, it's not exactly a ringing endorsement for either one..

Old 03-20-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Although I've spent time in both cities, the Amtrak ride through Philly and Baltimore is pretty revealing. To be blunt, it's not exactly a ringing endorsement for either one..
I agree. Amtrak ride into Chicago through the south side is pretty bleak, too.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:39 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
You will be reassigned for 5 years - no choice. You may narrow down the selection to 5 US cities with census population of 350K or greater.

In no particular order:

NYC
San Francisco
Boston
Washington
Miami

Bonus - you may also list 5 cities that under no particular circumstances will you move to.

Phoenix
Detroit
Oklahoma City
El Paso
Arlington, Tx
OK Good List, I spend a lot of Time in Miami, and I am close enough to go there when I want, but no need to live there. If I was half my age and did drugs, maybe, but not now.
SO here is my list of where I would live
In no particular order

NYC
Syracuse
Seattle
San Diego
Toronto

Bonus - you may also list 5 cities that under no particular circumstances will you move to.
Dallas (the DFW Metroplex, which includes Arlington)
Hell Paso
Houston
Detroit
Chicago

Old 03-20-2013, 03:58 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Quote:
I didn't mean to slight you or your town! I did not see Youngstown. I know all about pride in the presence of an abundance of evidence to the contrary. Heck, see my last post.

Baltimore, while not in the rust belt, has a lot of similarities to rust belt cities, namely that it was a tremendous manufacturer of steel.

I like living in a town that others are eager to write off. It's quite fun here. While Bhutan leads the world in Gross Domestic Happiness, we are surely a top producer of gallows humor and down-to-earth people.
Don't worry about it. While my comments were sincere, they were written with a smile.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:23 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,325,238 times
Yes!

1. Toronto (I'd gladly live for longer than 5)
2. San Francisco
3. Pittsburgh
4. Ottawa
5. Buffalo

No
1. Las Vegas
2. Jackson
3. Raleigh
4. Washington DC
5. Little Rock
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning