Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 11:32 PM

406 posts, read 497,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I think parking lots are much worse.
Glad to know you're in the vast minority, and that the rest of us who want to go places with our cars are able to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSDays View Post
Eyesores? You clearly do not get out much.

No, they are not a waste of space whoever owns them. And I am not even a golfer.

Urban golf course are often a habitat for animals and birds that have nearly disappeared because of cities sucking up all the property they can.

No, come to think of it, I guess I would rather have huge amounts of vacant and open land just sitting there instead of generating an income and employing people, providing recreation for thousands and providing a haven for wild creatures.

It is better to have rats and urban vermin than deer, birds etc. All those nasty trees and greenery, providing oxygen and so on. What a waste.

Yeah, let's shut them all down.
Yeah! Lets shut down baseball stadiums too, because I'm not a big fan of baseball, therefore the stadiums are a waste of space! Yeah, screw logic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 11:35 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,234,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
probably. golf courses eat up far more land than any other sport (if you can call it a sport) and can't be used for anything but playing golf. they are a totally useless eyesore.

Golf courses suck golf balls and souls

Municipal golf courses: Sucking up the public's green | StarTribune.com
My brother and his friends used to play pick-up football on the local country club golf course. We also went sledding there, as it had some quite hilly spots.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:26 AM

43 posts, read 72,967 times
I like mini golf

Old 03-22-2013, 04:10 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,813,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I think golf courses are beautiful pieces of art and great habitats for wildlife. They're often surrounded with thick wooded areas for plenty of animals to make home. The ponds have ducks, geese, and fish.

Golf has health benefits (mental and physical) that are enjoyed by millions of people. They're certainly not a waste of space.
I'm not a golfer (used to be with my brothers and now deceased dad and now seems to just take just too damn long) but effectively live on a beautiful, somewhat wooded (for San Diego) municipal course in the canyons right in the heart of the city. If it were the only amenity of the huge parkland I might feel differently but since it is just a small slice of a wonderful swath of nature right by my house I love it. The canyons are full of coyotes, foxes, owls, hawks, raccoons and rabbits (to feed all of the former). Although I have but an 1/8 acre lot it seems like I have hundreds because of the wooded views and nearby nature that the course meanders through- I call it "borrowed landscape" because I sure as heck don't have to maintain it -yay!

When I get older and feel a golf game is as much fun as mtn biking or ocean swimming I might start picking up some clubs and walking down to the links for some cheap (for residents) fun. Since I'm pushing 51 that might not be too far away haha. Besides, the clubhouse cocktails and cards/liars dice are always funner after a game.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:28 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,115,232 times
Pretty much. Golf courses and grave yards.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:51 AM

408 posts, read 605,113 times
I'm pretty sure parking lot are the most wasteful use of space ever. Think of what a wretched site it would be if we somehow lined up all of America's surface parking lots side by side. What would that come out to, maybe 500 square miles of gravel? And think of all those chronically empty lots out there...

Old 03-22-2013, 05:35 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,000,067 times
Fat people are one of the biggest wastes of spaces ever. They typically take up more space and consume more resources than healthy weight people and don't add any more value to society.

If everyone was skinny, less energy would be utilized on urban transportation (buses, trains, etc). Also seats would be smaller so more people could fit on a bus or train cart. This carries over to planes as well.

Also in urban areas, space is an issue. Movie theater seats and other venue seating could be made smaller to make room for more seating.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:22 AM

7,305 posts, read 13,448,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apm193 View Post
Believe it or not municipal courses can also have annual membership costs in the thousands. If it is municipally owned, it serves more as a park. Allowing ordinary people to play golf for a lower price. It may or may not be the most economical thing to build. If its in the middle of a growing area probably not, but if its near an airport or on the outskirts of town, it may be economical.
Ours were on the outskirts of town when built 80-120 years ago; their location now is rather central.

Upon further resarch our five (thought it was three) municipal city courses appear to be funded by some slushy mix of quasi-public non-profit funding and tax dollars.

I do not wish to see them all repurposed, but I do not think supporting FIVE of them with city resources is the best use of our property tax revenue. I'm not really interested in subsidizing the golf game of folks who don't live in the city, as most users do not.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:13 AM

3,836 posts, read 5,735,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Better open space than a bunch of section 8 ghetto crap.
Right. Because the ony option to golf courses is public housing they don't even build anymore

Old 03-22-2013, 08:44 AM

50,064 posts, read 46,618,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Right. Because the ony option to golf courses is public housing they don't even build anymore
You keep your graffiti, I'll take open space no matter what is on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning