Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region do you prefer when it comes to rail service?
Chicagoland(Chicago) 23 67.65%
Delaware Valley(Philadlephia) 10 29.41%
Tie/Can't decide 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 03:33 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
But then you complained earlier that commuter rail doesn't have the frequency. Pluses and minuses both ways. The Manayunk line appears to have stops not much more spread than an express subway anyway. Excluding the Temple University stop, the Manayunk line gets half the ridership of the Central Square T stop.
Yes, the frequency is a problem for dense, urban areas where people are more likely to use transit for non-commuting trips. Philadelphia has quite a few of these areas. The long headways are not so bad for suburbia where people are less likely to make regular trips by transit.

I mean, it would be like serving 95% of Queens with LIRR instead of the subway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well I think HR would not be bad, better headways and connecting places along the corrider could be more a park and rode RR out further. But imaging another trunk line into Germantown and Chestnut Hill. Maybe even terminate in PM in the job centers there. You could also leverage the RR line currently to fit for HR
Yeah, I've always thought that converting one of those lines to rapid rail would be manageable. Philly is not in the position a lot of cities are in where they have to fight for ROWs, fight neighborhood associations, drill tunnels, etc. Most of the infrastructure is already there. And most people are already accustomed to some level of train service in their neighborhoods. I'm not sure what a total conversion would cost, but it has to be cheaper than places where they have to haul in the tunnel boring machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
A One seat ride from KOP to the NavyYard or the Linc would be nice too
Indeed.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
There's little point in building an all-new rapid rail line when there are lots of electric commuter rails. The simpler solution would be to improve frequencies, maybe add a few stations and a few extensions of the already existing commuter rail. Septa rail is designed to be similar to a European S-Bahn / RER but it's too infrequent for that purpose. But the ridership isn't there, partly because the frequencies aren't there.

Maybe shorter more frequent trains are a possibility?
That sounds good in theory. But then how do you control costs? It's not like a subway where you may have just one guy driving the train. Regional Rail will have a guy driving the train and possibly two more guys walking around collecting tickets. Those are three salaries that have to be paid (and fairly generous pensions and benefits, I'm sure). So running the trains more frequently would probably come at great expense.

The flipside of that is trying to convert the lines to a normal subway system and pissing the unions off. That's always a good idea for politicians in Philadelphia.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:35 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The flipside of that is trying to convert the lines to a normal subway system and pissing the unions off. That's always a good idea for politicians in Philadelphia.
Seems like that was tried:

Improving the MBTA | Pedestrian Observations

Old 03-27-2013, 04:51 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Actually, the Park and Rides get fairly decent ridership. Forest Hills has a ridership that's roughly the equivalent of Kendall Square's.

http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/do...ook%202010.pdf
Forest Hills has parking but it isn't primarily a park and ride. It has 206 parking spaces while its station ridership is around 14,000.

Quote:
According to the thread posted below, the employment figures for the CBDs are not too different. So I don't think this really explains it.

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...mployment.html
Didn't expect that, though I'm wondering if the numbers skip Back Bay. And Cambridge is an additional employment center that might add to T ridership.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:14 PM
rfp

333 posts, read 690,380 times
Maybe off topic, but I have to complain somewhere.

Chicago's CTA is in the process on privatising its rail and bus fare collection system. They are doing away with their CTA rail/bus pre-paid transit cards, and going to a private banking outfit (Data One) who will be issuing MasterCard debit cards (they will be called VENTRA cards). They can be used on transit lines, but also to purchase items in stores, etc.

They will be used by poorer folks who can't obtain credit cards. The extra-added fees are onerous: $2 for a phone call to the system, $4 to add money to the card on-line, a fee if the card is not used in one month. It has been estimated that the average cost of using the card as a debit card outside of transit (as most poorer people will) is $188 per year.

Everything is up for sale in Chicago (even MidWay airport). If this is the future of America, I'm glad I'm as old guy.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:18 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfp View Post
Maybe off topic, but I have to complain somewhere.

Chicago's CTA is in the process on privatising its rail and bus fare collection system. They are doing away with their CTA rail/bus pre-paid transit cards, and going to a private banking outfit (Data One) who will be issuing MasterCard debit cards (they will be called VENTRA cards). They can be used on transit lines, but also to purchase items in stores, etc.

They will be used by poorer folks who can't obtain credit cards. The extra-added fees are onerous: $2 for a phone call to the system, $4 to add money to the card on-line, a fee if the card is not used in one month. It has been estimated that the average cost of using the card as a debit card outside of transit (as most poorer people will) is $188 per year.

Everything is up for sale in Chicago (even MidWay airport). If this is the future of America, I'm glad I'm as old guy.
Hot off the presses: Two Ventra fees dropped from CTA card - Chicago Tribune

It still gives the $188 figure but did not recalculate for the absence of these fees.

I love the concept of this payment system but I agree that these fee schedules are textbook Big Banking.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:25 AM

Will I be able to pay using my RushCard?

Old 03-28-2013, 05:28 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Will I be able to pay using my RushCard?
Only your BabyPhat visa.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:41 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Forest Hills has parking but it isn't primarily a park and ride. It has 206 parking spaces while its station ridership is around 14,000.

Didn't expect that, though I'm wondering if the numbers skip Back Bay. And Cambridge is an additional employment center that might add to T ridership.
When it comes to light rail I will say that this is one aspect of transportation that Philadelphia does a significant better job than Chicago does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning