Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will there be more or fewer auto-related fataties in the 21st century compared to the 20th?
more 14 34.15%
fewer 27 65.85%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 09:28 PM

500 posts, read 571,808 times

Advertisements

Nothing will cause auto deaths to fall more than self-driving cars. Most auto accidents are caused by human error - drinking, not paying attention, falling asleep at the wheel. Once self-driving cars are common, I think auto deaths will fall by more than fifty percent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 07:22 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The thread was about the U.S., not the world.

That said, I'm fairly certain the number of people who die in car crashes will be much, much lower in the U.S. this century. First, vehicle miles per capita seem to have have peaked. But more importantly, even by the most pessimistic projections by the second half of the 21st century we should have moved to an entirely automated driving system, which should reduce accident rates by 80%-90%.
What a cocky reply.

Newsflash, the US is PART of this WORLD. I'm pretty sure I included them when I mentioned the world...

Old 07-24-2014, 08:44 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,282,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
What a cocky reply.

Newsflash, the US is PART of this WORLD. I'm pretty sure I included them when I mentioned the world...
Yes, but the OP did specify that this is about accident-related deaths increasing or decreasing in the US. Plus you have countries whose middle class citizens are just now getting their first cars. The transportation authorities are their infantile stages, and the rules for driving on roads are inadequate. So around the world numbers will go up. But Australia, Western Europe, Japan, and the U.S. are already past that infantile stage. We have learned from our past mistakes on the road and learned how to make every aspect of driving safer, from speed limits to better roads to wider lanes to laws restricting drivers to safer car regulations to policing the streets. Within the past 5 years, several municipalities have passed laws restricting cell phone use in cars after seeing how distracting and destructive they can be while driving. And with self-driving cars on the horizon, we can again predict that crash numbers will go down percentage wise. Of course, we have to take into account that cars weren't really popular until midway into the 20th century and any comparisons between this century and last century will have to be extrapolated.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:18 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Judging by the endless headlines I see everyday in the news about people getting maimed and killed in horrific car crashes I don't see the numbers going down anytime soon.
Headlines can be misleading due to a variety of extraneous factors; you should look at the measured fatality rate if you want to divine any kind of road safety trend.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:10 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Headlines can be misleading due to a variety of extraneous factors; you should look at the measured fatality rate if you want to divine any kind of road safety trend.

What's your point? When a headline tells you someone has died or was seriously hurt in a car crash, that is pretty clear cut.
The daily headlines about these crashes are depressing enough, personally I don't need to read the gory details.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:50 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
What's your point? When a headline tells you someone has died or was seriously hurt in a car crash, that is pretty clear cut.
The daily headlines about these crashes are depressing enough, personally I don't need to read the gory details.
The amount of death headlines media outlets report doesn't tell you anything about how many people are dying versus some long-ago period, let alone how many people are dying adjusted for the amount they travel (i.e. more people traveling will mean more fatalities even if the fatality rate/level of risk remains the same). Risk and projections of it must be judged by objective measures, not subjective emotionalism of the kind the "if it only saves one life" crowd wallows in; headlines fall under the latter, reliable fatality rate statistics fall under the former. Without knowing the current objective level of danger, the future population, and how much they will travel, one cannot predict with any accuracy the future trends in road safety as the OP is asking us to do.

Without that factual grounding, one would have to conclude that being out on the street was more dangerous than ever last year due to increased headlines related to the knockout game, ignoring the fact that such attacks if they even exist at all are so rare they have no effect on crime rates/one's level of danger.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:36 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Notice how fatalities decreased even though population of vehicles increased. I predict it will grow slower, and future improvements in safety will send the numbers down even more.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:36 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,372,565 times
Most cars will be autonomous or semi-autonomous within 15-20 years, so death and accident rates are going to plummet.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:18 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,682 times
More deaths because that's how the earth rolls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning