Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which lifestyle tends to make you feel most lonely?
Small town 16 21.92%
Suburbs 37 50.68%
Big city 20 27.40%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 09:17 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I've read most of your posts. Did these people you met in Chicago become close friends? Do you still keep in touch with them?

It's not much of a friendship if you don't know the person's name.

And what's this snark about "the big home". There are many small homes in the burbs, and many large ones in the city.
I agree--a big difference between spending an afternoon with "acquantances" and actually becoming friends..

Many suburbs, especially those postwar neighborhoods, have small/mid-sized homes on modest plots of land, and are quite low-key in style and layout, and became very popular neighborhoods. Many were, and remain, non-car dependent..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 09:27 AM

389 posts, read 469,900 times
Quote:
I've read most of your posts. Did these people you met in Chicago become close friends? Do you still keep in touch with them?

It's not much of a friendship if you don't know the person's name.

And what's this snark about "the big home". There are many small homes in the burbs, and many large ones in the city.
No, not close friends, it's one of those things you add each other on Facebook and keep in touch lightly for when you go back.

You don't have to not have friends to be lonely. I had a couple friends in NYC(but they had to do their own thing sometimes), I will say when I first got off the plane I was nervous, mainly because I missed the first flight which had my luggage on it lol, luckily I didn't have to pay for another ticket. Anyways, after exiting the airport I took a cab to somewhere in manhattan. When I saw all those people I was like whoa lol, I found a Starbucks to catch my breath and was put at ease when I saw other people that looked lost with luggage like me. I will say later on that day I got comfortable. The first night I stayed in a hotel and they had a social gathering thing, I and others went out to explore that night etc. Tho we weren't friends we weren't lonely and instantly clicked.

What I mean with the "big home" comment, if you have 500k to spend on a house, I'm sure you'll get more home in the suburb as compared to a great city.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:33 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weteath View Post

What I mean with the "big home" comment, if you have 500k to spend on a house, I'm sure you'll get more home in the suburb as compared to a great city.
Not necessarily. You may get a house on more land, but maybe not. There are some areas in every city I have ever been in that have a few big homes on large lots.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Not necessarily. You may get a house on more land, but maybe not. There are some areas in every city I have ever been in that have a few big homes on large lots.
True, I don't want to sound like you can't have friends in a suburb, of course that wouldn't be true. However, if you were starting from scratch and moved to NYC, LA, Chi or SF, it would be easy to meet a ton of people and may lead to friendships.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:26 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Those are almost always much more expensive than houses with the same lot size further out from the city center. Exception might be if the city has some severe decay. And at least in denser cities, generally rather rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weteath View Post
For example, for the same price as their house, they could get a one bedroom condo in the Upper East Side instead a large lot big house (2600 sq feet) 40 miles away from Manhattan. Would they want to do that? Definitely not.

Other cities are less extreme but the same pattern exists.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Those are almost always much more expensive than houses with the same lot size further out from the city center. Exception might be if the city has some severe decay. And at least in denser cities, generally rather rare.

For example, for the same price as their house, they could get a one bedroom condo in the Upper East Side instead a large lot big house (2600 sq feet) 40 miles away from Manhattan. Would they want to do that? Definitely not.

Here are some $350K to 550K homes in Denver.
Denver Real Estate & Denver Homes For Sale — Trulia.com
(Some few of these are not actually in the city, but have Denver addresses. You can check the neighborhoods against a neighborhood list is you are interested.) Some of the condos are as expensive as SF homes.

Here are some in the same price range in Louisville:
Louisville Real Estate & Louisville Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

Condos sell. You can pay $500K for a condo in Denver. You can also pay that for a single family house. It's all about preference.
http://www.trulia.com/for_sale/Denve...ce/CONDO_type/

Old 04-03-2013, 11:09 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Here are some $350K to 550K homes in Denver.
Denver Real Estate & Denver Homes For Sale — Trulia.com
(Some few of these are not actually in the city, but have Denver addresses. You can check the neighborhoods against a neighborhood list is you are interested.) Some of the condos are as expensive as SF homes.

Here are some in the same price range in Louisville:
Louisville Real Estate & Louisville Homes For Sale — Trulia.com
It's unclear what the lot size of those homes are. Would the Denver homes at the same prices have the same lot size as Louisville ones at the same price? The pattern also varies a lot by city, with cities with older, denser cores, such as New York City and Boston, having a much larger difference.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:

That is obviously one of the drawbacks, the expense. My cousin has been in NYC since the 90's, I spent a bit of time on the Lower East Side, he said that and many areas have changed a lot since he was young there. He has a rent controlled apartment so seeing some of the current prices he is blown away.

In Michigan, depending on how close you are to Detroit your home will be cheaper than the home that may be considered too close to Detroit. For people who buy properties, I'd imagine now would be a good time to do so in certain areas of Detroit or around it, who knows what may happen 10 or 20 years from now.

Two ends of the spectrum with Detroit and NYC, I can't comment on where Denver falls in between, but I imagine the more dense and vibrant cities like San Fran, Chi, LA, Boston and others have higher prices near/in the cores.

Last edited by weteath; 04-03-2013 at 11:35 AM..

Old 04-03-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
It's unclear what the lot size of those homes are. Would the Denver homes at the same prices have the same lot size as Louisville ones at the same price? The pattern also varies a lot by city, with cities with older, denser cores, such as New York City and Boston, having a much larger difference.
You can click on the images and get more info. I'll do some examples from each city:

Louisville:
529 Main Street, Louisville CO - Trulia
This is in "Old Town", built 1908. Lot size 5388 sq. ft.

475 Muirfield Court, Louisville CO - Trulia
This one is in more of a "suburban" area. Built 1990. Lot size 8684 sf.

Denver (Mind you, I'm not quite as familiar with the neighborhoods in Denver)

3961 Zenobia Street, Denver CO - Trulia
(My old neighborhood)
Built 1910, lot size 4356 sf

5000 West 37th Avenue, Denver CO - Trulia
Another one from the old hood.
Built 1956, 7209 sf lot

I think if you look at these you'll find lot size all over the place in both cities. Louisville's may on average be larger, but not by much.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:

I think if you look at these you'll find lot size all over the place in both cities. Louisville's may on average be larger, but not by much.
Interesting and rather different than what I expected. Not used to so much overlap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning