Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 05:37 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Citi Bike is, rather ironically, currently in need of bailout moneys. Unlike its corporate namesake, however, that doesn't seem to be in the cards. Other systems like Velib in Paris are subsidized. All rely on advertising as a significant source of revenue as well which is a somewhat risky stream since urban outdoor advertising is a relatively new thing.
Something it looks like they won't be receiving from NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 06:15 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
That's not really the intention. First of all, it's pretty stupid to have a bike share and not just pick up the bike where you need it but rather than take it on the train. In terms of pricing, trying to get your bike share bicycle onto the train is going to be expensive since it's $4 for the first 30 minutes and $7/30 mins afterwards. You're just not going to be able to pick up your bike from wherever you wanted it, ride it to the station, get on a train, get off the train, ride to the nearest docking station and return the bike without hitting overtime fees.

Stations are just too limited outside of the small part of San Francisco covered to be of much use. While it sounds nice to use them for the last mile problems in Peninsula/South Bay, what exactly are you supposed to do with it? Generally there's only a station or two clustered around Caltrain. Take Redwood City, which has more availability than most. There's nothing outside of pretty easy walking range. Presumably you're using the bike because it's too far to walk. Not much use since you can't go beyond walking distance without paying $7/hour to park the bicycle wherever you were going.
You misunderstood. The use case is to not bring your bike, and use bike share at either end. This way you don't have to worry about bike capacity in the train.

They planned the rollout stupidly. They should have focused on a single Caltrain station and a few office parks.

Oakland/Emeryville/Oakland got approved for the next pilot phase, which is quite logical.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:44 AM

32,104 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Maybe I am spoiled but odds are there is an bus line within walking distance of where you are going unless your are riding on weekends or late night. The problem is you need the bike to be available, and with an bike share that is not always possible. Also the bike share tends to be in better off areas well served by transit, not areas lacking it.
One of the biggest expenses of a bikeshare program is the redistribution of bicycles to different stations. It's rare that I see a docking station with no bikes.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:35 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
1. Not the way Divvy is set up. You can only ride the bike for 30 mins to the next station. If not at an station then late fees kick in. If you need to park your bike there are bike racks or you could secure it to an city light post or other item. Some EL stations have bike racks. The late fees are $2.00 for 30-60 mins late, $6.00 for 60-90 mins. late and $8.00 for each additional 30 mins after 90 that the bike is late.
At least for NYC's CitiBike, there's a dense network of stations throughout the coverage area. Bicycle, then put your bike at a station and forget about it. For annual subscribers, the time limit goes up to 45 minutes. With your own bicycle, you better have a good bike lock and bicycle parking isn't that readily available (BajanYankee could give a more accurate description).

Quote:

2. Maybe I am spoiled but odds are there is an bus line within walking distance of where you are going unless your are riding on weekends or late night. The problem is you need the bike to be available, and with an bike share that is not always possible. Also the bike share tends to be in better off areas well served by transit, not areas lacking it.
Weekends matter. If the bus system is on something resembling a grid, transfers are necessary for some trips. Bicycles have the same advantage as automobiles, in the sense they provide point to point transportation. A bike sharing system is meant to complement gaps in a mass transit system not replace it. NYC must have a denser bus network than Chicago, but I can think of many trips where bicycling is faster than the bus.

Some friends I had in Boston didn't own a car and used (their own) bicycle for most local trips. Not much slower than a car for short distance trips (speed difference is probably zero in congested parts of Manhattan), and other than going to downtown, they didn't make longer trips much.

Quote:
Also if you have paid for an CTA pass why would you spend MORE money on the bike share? Is it because you have more income to blow on said bike share to skip the bus perhaps? The passes may be expensive,but they are unlimited.
CitiBike is about $75/year, not really prohibitive, and less than one month of an MTA pass. The MTA pass is more necessary for most, but if you have some disposable income, $75/year extra isn't a bad deal.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:46 AM

32,104 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
With your own bicycle, you better have a good bike lock and bicycle parking isn't that readily available (BajanYankee could give a more accurate description).
It can be tough to find a place to lock your bike up (especially in more popular neighborhoods). For me, theft is a real concern.

Bike Thief 2012 - YouTube

Old 04-15-2014, 08:22 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
At least for NYC's CitiBike, there's a dense network of stations throughout the coverage area. Bicycle, then put your bike at a station and forget about it.
Theoretically. In practice, there's plenty of empty racks where you might want to pick up and plenty of full ones where you might want to drop off.

Quote:
A bike sharing system is meant to complement gaps in a mass transit system not replace it. NYC must have a denser bus network than Chicago, but I can think of many trips where bicycling is faster than the bus.
That's not saying much; crosstown buses in NYC are slowwwwww. There's YouTube videos of a guy racing an M44 on a Big Wheel (the toy) and winning handily. I can often keep up with the M14 on foot.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:27 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post

That's not saying much; crosstown buses in NYC are slowwwwww. There's YouTube videos of a guy racing an M44 on a Big Wheel (the toy) and winning handily. I can often keep up with the M14 on foot.
Well, yea. Though I'd assume outside of Manhattan, buses aren't as slow. And why do people ride the M14? There's a subway doing the same route (L train). Yet the M14 looked packed the last few times I was there. The M42 goes close to walking speed.

As for the theory, I haven't actually used a bike sharing system nor lived in a city with one, so I can't say more than that.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:18 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Well, yea. Though I'd assume outside of Manhattan, buses aren't as slow. And why do people ride the M14? There's a subway doing the same route (L train). Yet the M14 looked packed the last few times I was there. The M42 goes close to walking speed.

As for the theory, I haven't actually used a bike sharing system nor lived in a city with one, so I can't say more than that.
That is probably because to ride the L train you have to basically go 10 stories underground to get to the train, and when you get there, you will have to wait 10 minutes like you do for the R train while listening to some bad hipster band think this station is where they are gonna get their big break.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is probably because to ride the L train you have to basically go 10 stories underground to get to the train, and when you get there, you will have to wait 10 minutes like you do for the R train while listening to some bad hipster band think this station is where they are gonna get their big break.
the L train frequency is 5 minutes or under from 6 AM to 10 PM, it's two floors of stairs to get to the train platform. Only disadvantage is the far west and far east sides don't get a stop, and some buses continue to other neighborhoods near the end. This Times article said the average taxi speed in the "core" of Manhattan is 9 mph. So buses must be slower.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/16/ny...xi-speeds.html

According to city data, the average taxi speed south of 60th Street in Manhattan is about nine miles per hour.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:39 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Well, yea. Though I'd assume outside of Manhattan, buses aren't as slow. And why do people ride the M14?
I think they're mostly elderly and handicapped who would have trouble with the stairs in the subway and aren't up to walking the distance. In addition to the stairs, the L only stops every other long block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning