Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 07:21 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times

Advertisements

I am not familiar with aerial tramways but it sounds like a viable way to commute between two areas that are not easy to get between in a bus or car where no rail is available. Portland and NYC have these tramways and they seem to be a success. Does anyone have any experience with these? What did you think about them? I ask because there is talk to maybe build one from Rosslyn a D.C. suburb across the Potomac river to Georgetown University. I know Portland build one from their waterfront to the Oregon Health and Science University. How is that working out? Anybody used it?

A Gondola and a Metro Station? Georgetown in 2028
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 10:14 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Portland's Aerial tram cost $90+ million per mile and costs double the expected operating costs. It's mostly used by OHSU who ride it for free (OHSU picks up the tab) and tourists. It's a neat tourist attraction. You can pay $4 and get some nice views for six minutes. There's not much to do at OHSU, of course so it's a dead trip. Still it attracts a fair number of tourists. It's neat, not really that different from the Delta Flyer in Great America (or whatever it's called now). You get better views from a ski lift though, imo.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Portland's Aerial tram cost $90+ million per mile and costs double the expected operating costs. It's mostly used by OHSU who ride it for free (OHSU picks up the tab) and tourists. It's a neat tourist attraction. You can pay $4 and get some nice views for six minutes. There's not much to do at OHSU, of course so it's a dead trip. Still it attracts a fair number of tourists. It's neat, not really that different from the Delta Flyer in Great America (or whatever it's called now). You get better views from a ski lift though, imo.

I thought it cost 57 million to build? It's only 1,000 meters and Georgetown's would probably be half of that distance. Do people like riding it? Is it faster than other mode's between those area's?

Old 06-14-2013, 12:11 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I thought it cost 57 million to build? It's only 1,000 meters and Georgetown's would probably be half of that distance. Do people like riding it? Is it faster than other mode's between those area's?
57M for a thousand meters works out to pretty close to 90M/mile by rough calculations (done by staring at the ceiling an pondering for a few seconds) I'm sure if someone out pencil to paper it'd come out in that range.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Sure. It's free for OHSU staff/students/patients and practically free for tourists. I can't see that anyone else would have much use for it at all considering it just runs between two OHSU sites which don't have anything much around them. There's no direct road or transit access, so it's faster than driving is.

On the other hand, it costs $30 per trip, quite expensive to go less than a mile.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Sure. It's free for OHSU staff/students/patients and practically free for tourists. I can't see that anyone else would have much use for it at all considering it just runs between two OHSU sites which don't have anything much around them. There's no direct road or transit access, so it's faster than driving is.

On the other hand, it costs $30 per trip, quite expensive to go less than a mile.

I thought it was $4 round trip? That is what the website says.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I thought it was $4 round trip? That is what the website says.
Yes, that's what the ticket costs. That doesn't mean it doesn't cost $30. It just means that someone else is picking up the other $28 per boarding, which would mostly be OHSU as they pay 100% of the costs for all OHSU staff/students/patients who make up the bulk of the ridership.

That's why I said it's practically free for tourists, the other major group. For $4, it's kind of a nifty thing to do and has great views. For $60... well, I'd pass.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:04 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times
Just from Rosslyn to Georgetown University, any idea on what the projected ridership would be if this were to get built?

Would a Crystal City, Pentagon, Rosslyn, Georgetown University be viable? Just a spur of the moment thought that I had. Maybe it's just be but a Rosslyn to Georgetown University seems rather short and that length wouldn't be justified enough to build it. But then again, I am still new to the field so if I am incorrect, please let me know. I'd love to learn from a different viewpoint.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:22 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
The NYC tram is one short line between Manhattan & Roosevelt Island. So it serves a very small portion of the population. I believe at the time it was originally built there was no subway connection between Manhattan & Roosevelt Island. It was renovated in 2010 after a couple incidents of tram cars getting stuck in mid-air with passengers over the East River. Personally I only have been on twice for sightseeing purposes but there are people who use it for commuting purposes.

Roosevelt Island Tramway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-03-2013, 03:56 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
My favorite thing to do was to take my bike with me, pay the $4 and only use it one way. Enjoy the views for a bit, and then ride my bike down the hill and enjoy the rush. It is so much fun to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning