Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2013, 02:55 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,756,714 times

Advertisements

I read that 37 new outlet malls have been built in the last five years and more are planned and some on the way.

A new outlet mall is sprouting north of the Grapevine - latimes.com

Are all of these outlet malls a good idea? The outlet malls are all large. What if we have too many outlet malls?

They are planning a new outlet mall near Sacramento and there is already one in Folsom.

I am guessing the desire for outlet malls is the large selection and the cheaper prices means people can buy more clothes.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to wear a new outfit everyday, but is the MORE and MORE mentality becoming too much?

Seems to me that the norm now is to have at least one outlet mall for every 500,000 population.

There is one in San Jose area, two for North SF Bay (Petaluma and Napa), and two East Bay (Livermore and Vacaville).

Two in the San Diego area (Cabazon and San Ysidro). One in Orange County (Orange). One in the Central Valley (Tulare) and one planned for north of Bakersfield in the Tejon Ranch. The one in Tracy is pretty much dead.

One in the Central Coast (Pismo Beach).

One in way northern Ca (Shasta Outlets-Anderson, pretty small and hardly a real outlet mall)

Two in the inland empire (Cabazon and Ontario)

One for Ventura County and north LA (Camarillo).

I believe there is one in LA county which are the citadel outlets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 06:49 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Are all of these outlet malls a good idea? The outlet malls are all large. What if we have too many outlet malls?
They'll go out of business and another developer will find a new use for the space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning