Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 04:05 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,463,461 times

Advertisements

I'm not asking for arguments in support of or against city-mandated minimum parking requirements. There are other threads for that.

What I want to know is why, as a society, we're so insistent on the city specifying that figure.

Every time a city seems to want to decrease or strike the minimum, I've seen a backlash from residents and businesses. But, I don't understand what this backlash is based upon.

What are we afraid is going to happen and why do we single out this outcome over all other possibilities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 05:02 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
The fear is that street parking (which is all many residents and businesses have) will become scarce. You can't run a business if people can't get there, and parking many blocks away from your residence gets really old, really fast.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:28 PM

21,869 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
I'm not asking for arguments in support of or against city-mandated minimum parking requirements. There are other threads for that.

What I want to know is why, as a society, we're so insistent on the city specifying that figure.

Every time a city seems to want to decrease or strike the minimum, I've seen a backlash from residents and businesses. But, I don't understand what this backlash is based upon.

What are we afraid is going to happen and why do we single out this outcome over all other possibilities?
Shared resource provided by the individual. If you're a business owner, you want somewhere for your customers to park and it's a pain in the butt to try and keep non-customers from parking in your lot if there isn't enough parking in the neighborhood. Neighborhood-level resource provided by and large by individuals. Same reason there's noise regulations, etc, etc.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
It's very easy for me to understand why businesses object. After all, their livelihood depends on people patronizing their business, and if you make it too hard, the customers will go somewhere else. Residents want to be able to park near their homes for many reasons. Most people like to park near their homes, especially in cold weather or in the dark.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:43 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
The fear is that free on-street parking will disappear, and people have come to expect ample, free parking to be readily available. Of course it is not free, but people don't typically see the hidden costs.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It's very easy for me to understand why businesses object. After all, their livelihood depends on people patronizing their business, and if you make it too hard, the customers will go somewhere else. Residents want to be able to park near their homes for many reasons. Most people like to park near their homes, especially in cold weather or in the dark.
That's the thing..... Some businesses actually over estimate the people coming by car. I forgot what parT of NYC where this happened, but a business district was "losing" 20% of in street parking. In this area 80 % of the patrons arrived by bus or walking. Car traffic wasn't a big driver if their profits.

The question is why us the generally policy that parking should be free and unlimited everywhere? It is a very strange use of space. The cars are more important than the users. This is the model we have.

One local cafe removed 2 parking spots in the front and concerted it too a park let. It quadrupled the outdoor seating for the business and is always packed. I happen to take every mode to visit this place: drive, walk, transit and bike. There is a false perception that the curb in front of your business or home is yours. If we used this logic in other areas, it would be chaos. In fact it would be chaos if I just decided to park my chair in a parking space while I patronized a business.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:05 PM

21,869 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The question is why us the generally policy that parking should be free and unlimited everywhere? It is a very strange use of space. The cars are more important than the users. This is the model we have.
No, it is isn't. I live in a smaller central valley town. I get out of my neck of the woods regularly, but even if I didn't, parking is not free and unlimited everywhere even here, let alone anything that resembles a city. We've also had some major construction projects in our downtown area with the minimum required parking being zero spaces.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
That's the thing..... Some businesses actually over estimate the people coming by car. I forgot what parT of NYC where this happened, but a business district was "losing" 20% of in street parking. In this area 80 % of the patrons arrived by bus or walking. Car traffic wasn't a big driver if their profits.

One local cafe removed 2 parking spots in the front and concerted it too a park let. It quadrupled the outdoor seating for the business and is always packed. I happen to take every mode to visit this place: drive, walk, transit and bike. There is a false perception that the curb in front of your business or home is yours. If we used this logic in other areas, it would be chaos. In fact it would be chaos if I just decided to park my chair in a parking space while I patronized a business.
Well there you go! One anecdote, about a restaurant where the biggest package one carries out is a to-go box, in NYC where most people commute w/o a car proves the point, doesn't it?

Old 01-07-2014, 09:22 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well there you go! One anecdote, about a restaurant where the biggest package one carries out is a to-go box, in NYC where most people commute w/o a car proves the point, doesn't it?
It's a counterexample not a proof of a point.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It's a counterexample not a proof of a point.
A counterexample to what? No one posted about a specific business that lost business due to too little parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning