Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2014, 04:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,905,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
jade408 was comparing the southeast to the west, both California and Denver. Atlanta is not an old city, very little of Atlanta dates from the 19th century. Like just about everywhere, it existed in the 1860s, but it was tiny (only about 12,000 people) compared its present size. What was so snarky about the hiking trail comment?

Also, aren't Coloradans supposed to be hikers (why else would you live there?!) And I remember some comment about suburbanites being more familiar with the outdoors.

I don't think sidewalks are particularly important in low-traffic residential streets, I also think that saying "it's walkable because they are sidewalks there" is a bit silly: many other factors come into play, including the ease of crossing the street.

What else do we need to know? I think it's rather outrageous that crossing the street midblock when there's was no nearby crosswalk resulted in charges while the driver (who was likely drunk) never got similarly charged. Can't think of any other information that could make it less so. The little kid darting into traffic could happen anyplace.
Lots of Coloradans are hikers. I'm not. K? We live here for many reasons. Not sure what your snark about suburbanites has to do with anything.

You may argue that sidewalks are unnecessary; I disagree.

You may cross at mid-block yourself, but this mom was crossing with two small children, something I would never have done when mine were little. It's one thing to take the risk for yourself, quite another to risk your kids. There are drunk drivers out there. I certainly think there's a lot we need to know about this accident, which has exactly ZERO relevance to this storm, before we can make a judgement like several of you, including you, have made. Have you ever heard of jaywalking? Now this just turned up when I did a Google search for 'jaywalking' but I think it's ironic that it's not OK to jaywalk in Canada, either.
http://www.boston.com/news/world/can...OPO/story.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
this happened because the NOAA has become so incredibly ineffective, incorrect and inept at predicting and forecasting weather events that we no longer can rely on *anything* they say. People need to be prepared for the worst at all times and just take it as it comes.

20yrsinBranson
Oh, good Lord! The storm was forecast well in advance. When were they better? Please elaborate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 04:37 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,923,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Lots of Coloradans are hikers. I'm not. K? We live here for many reasons. Not sure what your snark about suburbanites has to do with anything.

You may argue that sidewalks are unnecessary; I disagree.

You may cross at mid-block yourself, but this mom was crossing with two small children, something I would never have done when mine were little. It's one thing to take the risk for yourself, quite another to risk your kids. There are drunk drivers out there. I certainly think there's a lot we need to know about this accident, which has exactly ZERO relevance to this storm, before we can make a judgement like several of you, including you, have made.
I ended up reading quite a lot about this particular incident. I just picked the first article in the story. At the end, my mental picture was a tired mom who had been out shopping all day with small children had her hands full, and really just wanted to get home. Like any of us do after a long day. It turned into the worst day if her life. Her choice was to cross a street she had crossed dozens of times or walk another 1/2 mile with tired screaming kids. Most of us would have jaywalked too.

But for me it illustrates a lot about what is wrong with transit in this country. There was a joke somewhere, we design transit systems that we hope other people will use.

And that is exactly it. We assume that transit riders are somehow wildly different than people who drive cars, they area supposed to have unlimited time to wait for buses, never take shortcuts across the street, not care about convenience and a whole bunch of other stuff. Almost like "they" should be happy to have something, instead of making something that is moderately pleasant and convenient to use.

I think i posted this story in a other thread. Jaywalking was invented by car companies.
The Invention of Jaywalking - Sarah Goodyear - The Atlantic Cities

Old 02-02-2014, 04:51 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,574,184 times
Quote:
Have you ever heard of jaywalking? Now this just turned up when I did a Google search for 'jaywalking' but I think it's ironic that it's not OK to jaywalk in Canada, either.
Toronto mayor ticketed for jaywalking in Vancouver - Canada news - Boston.com
Of course, I've heard of jaywalking. Don't see much wrong, just don't cross when traffic is coming. I do it sometimes myself, it's common in NYC and Boston. The pedestrian signals in Boston sometimes are meaningless anyway. I noticed few did in Vancouver, I tried to stop myself, feeling like I should follow the local habit. Here's a recent article on the subject:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/02/02....html?referrer

England is the opposite of Canada, a relative from the UK was surprised to see people wait for the signal when there was no traffic. British visitor to Atlanta surprised at jaywalking rules:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...aywalking.html

Quote:
How is that snark?

Last edited by nei; 02-02-2014 at 05:01 PM..

Old 02-02-2014, 05:04 PM

A comment about suburbanites supposedly being more familiar with the outdoors in response to me saying I'm not a hiker is snark. I can be familiar with the outdoors and not be a hiker. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm watching the Super Bowl. OMAHA!

Old 02-02-2014, 05:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,574,184 times
Quote:
A comment about suburbanites supposedly being more familiar with the outdoors in response to me saying I'm not a hiker is snark. I can be familiar with the outdoors and not be a hiker. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm watching the Super Bowl. OMAHA!
There were posts a while back suggesting suburbanites were. You can be familiar with the outdoors and not hike? I thought they were one and the same.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
There were posts a while back suggesting suburbanites were. You can be familiar with the outdoors and not hike? I thought they were one and the same.
I don't hike the way some of these fanatics do.

I think you're being deliberately antagonistic. The posts I recall were from city people bragging that their kids didn't know know to walk in grass.
The Broncos are not doing well.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:36 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,753,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
this happened because the NOAA has become so incredibly ineffective, incorrect and inept at predicting and forecasting weather events that we no longer can rely on *anything* they say. People need to be prepared for the worst at all times and just take it as it comes.

20yrsinBranson

I think the weather reporting is quite good.

Last night they predicted 4 inches of snow starting at 10:30 . for my area of the Ozarks

It started at 10:15 and we got 5 inches so I give them an "A"

Old 02-02-2014, 07:32 PM

41,995 posts, read 75,304,387 times
Quote:
That comment doesn't make any sense. Not all transit systems are the same, sure they have limitations, but some are far more limited than others. You can't just lump them all together.
Say what? I was wondering what transit systems didn't have limited coverage. You got anything for that?

Quote:
As jade408 said, there are large gaps in MARTA rail coverage.
Again ... What transit system, bus or rail or trolley, does not have these issues? MARTA is no different.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Say what? I was wondering what transit systems didn't have limited coverage. You got anything for that?

Again ... What transit system, bus or rail or trolley, does not have these issues? MARTA is no different.
Every system has gaps. Most systems dont have Medowlands sized gaps.

Marta systemically doesn't have transit in key corridors.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:51 PM

For example, MARTA doesn't cover Alpharetta, which is office park central. MARTA weighs expansion to North Fulton | www.ajc.com

It is also an area where population is growing tons so it should be transit connected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning