Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 10:02 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,116,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It's obvious you are new to CD! That said, I disagree with the OP. Strip malls are not a bad use of land, etc. Many times small local businesses are tucked away in strip malls when they couldn't locate in a regional mall or a pricey downtown area.
No they aren't they are in strip malls because that's where they go. Malls are for specific businesses for a specific group of people, Joe Dirt Insurance is not going to the mall or a pricey downtown office, they are going to an affordable unit, which is largely in a bland strip mall in most of this country.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:12 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,189,147 times
the downside of strip malls IMO are:

1) They're unattractive compared to traditional "main-street style" commercial streets. Though some people judge attractiveness differently than me
2) Few people are walking by them, they feel dead and sterile
3) People exaggerate their pedestrian unfriendliness at times, but many can be quite pedestrian hostile

Sure, some businesses move there cheaper rent, but if there were more older-style commercial streets than they wouldn't have to. Also, it's not always the case that strip malls are cheaper. The old commercial streets of Holyoke certainly don't look fancy and there are some vacancies. I've seen similar in other less distressed cities. And some bigger cities, most retail outside of the downtown isn't in strip malls. Until this forum, I assumed strip malls were common only in suburbia and maybe outer edges of cities.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:28 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,712,865 times
We have the most terrible strip mall in the history of the universe nearby. Unfortunately is is where Target is. I don't know how much worse they could have used the space. And I had hope Target would spur some improvements, but it is a disaster. There is no way you would even thinking about walking from store to store. Every time I try to walk to Best Buy from Target, I am afraid that I will get run over.

It is like 2 miles across! Or something. Cars speed through stop signs. There are medians and barriers between the different stores:
http://goo.gl/maps/YJjXf

Old 02-12-2014, 10:29 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,393,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
And (going off on a tangent here) what about other similar structures that are hidden behind massive parking lots-how can those be made pedestrian-friendly without having to meet the wrecking ball?
i'd just leave them alone, the ones in the pictures looked just fine.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:31 PM

Another strip mall in the region, redeveloped, and it got infill development. It is still horribly un pedestrian friendly, but better than it used to be. This is the before:
Union Landing, Union City | Site Design Projects | Mark Thomas & Company, Inc.

And this is the now:
http://goo.gl/maps/o6Yup

Old 02-12-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It is like 2 miles across! Or something. Cars speed through stop signs. There are medians and barriers between the different stores:
http://goo.gl/maps/YJjXf
That's nice lol, i expected some ghetto run down place

Old 02-12-2014, 10:33 PM

3,695 posts, read 4,964,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
the downside of strip malls IMO are:

1) They're unattractive compared to traditional "main-street style" commercial streets. Though some people judge attractiveness differently than me
2) Few people are walking by them, they feel dead and sterile
3) People exaggerate their pedestrian unfriendliness at times, but many can be quite pedestrian hostile

Sure, some businesses move there cheaper rent, but if there were more older-style commercial streets than they wouldn't have to. Also, it's not always the case that strip malls are cheaper. The old commercial streets of Holyoke certainly don't look fancy and there are some vacancies. I've seen similar in other less distressed cities. And some bigger cities, most retail outside of the downtown isn't in strip malls. Until this forum, I assumed strip malls were common only in suburbia and maybe outer edges of cities.
They are common where someone tore down the old stores/buildings(which are often a mismatch for the current demographics of the area or modern use) and put them in. They are not extremely common in Chicago but not unseen. They often have some connection to the city sidewalk so that they are accessible by walking and only the ones with a big box store will have a huge parking lot.

They just are not as easy to walk to as a bunch of small shops crowed along a sidewalk but are usually almost always accessible by way of walking.

This is the nearest worst case one to me. The picture is old as the best buy has closed and there is pedestrian access way on the other end of the lot(but out of sight). Another slightly more pedestrian friendly mall is across the street. It is also near a busy EL station and expressway.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q...ed=0CAcQ_AUoAQ

another but this one is somewhat better in that the big box and large sores are buried behind stores near the block(but fenced in).

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q...ed=0CAcQ_AUoAQ

most are like the one with the foot locker in that picture.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
That's nice lol, i expected some ghetto run down place
Ha, but each store is basically separated by a 4 lane street. Sometimes they are 5 lanes across. With strange stop sign configurations. You need to drive from Home Depot to Best Buy, even though it is all in the same strip mall. The sig for the strip mall is like a mile up the street, and you have absolutely no idea where the stores are located. I have lived near this strip mall since 1996, and I still can't remember which of the 27 streets the Officemax is on. It is terrible for drivers and anyone not in a car. I literally look at the map before I go to the sporting good store or radio shack. Actually take that back, I go to any other radio shack instead of trying to find that one. Same for the GNC. I don't think I even knew it was in that strip mall until 2010.

Bad for the non anchor tenants and everyone else.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:44 PM

41,737 posts, read 74,713,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
If they want to walk to where they shop, they should have the right to. This is a country based on rights, isn't it?
Then people have the right to live near where they shop. And other people have the right to live far away from commercial developments, if that's their preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I am more shocked that he prefers driving two blocks over walking, it makes me wonder how big are these blocks to make someone to want to drive over walk.
Depends on where you're going, why you're going there, weather, etc. Imagining a variable or two where driving would be preferable is not rocket science, even for the anti-car crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
No they aren't they are in strip malls because that's where they go. Malls are for specific businesses for a specific group of people, Joe Dirt Insurance is not going to the mall or a pricey downtown office, they are going to an affordable unit, which is largely in a bland strip mall in most of this country.
Ummmm ... ... Isn't that what she said?

Old 02-12-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Ha, but each store is basically separated by a 4 lane street. Sometimes they are 5 lanes across. With strange stop sign configurations. You need to drive from Home Depot to Best Buy, even though it is all in the same strip mall. The sig for the strip mall is like a mile up the street, and you have absolutely no idea where the stores are located. I have lived near this strip mall since 1996, and I still can't remember which of the 27 streets the Officemax is on. It is terrible for drivers and anyone not in a car. I literally look at the map before I go to the sporting good store or radio shack. Actually take that back, I go to any other radio shack instead of trying to find that one. Same for the GNC. I don't think I even knew it was in that strip mall until 2010.

Bad for the non anchor tenants and everyone else.
Yea sounds confusing.

Don't they have those infamous "strip mall signs" ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning