Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 06:10 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Good design can lower or raise the ambient temperature, or prevent a foot of snow from falling?

Golly!
Good clothes can help with the temperature, that is just common sense. I owned rain gear in Portland, Or for a reason and used it often when biking.

Also, can you drive in a foot of snow? No, you need plows to clear the roads, but you can also own winter tires for your bike which is basically studded tires for your bike. Though I will say that is for the more diehard bikers, I tend to wuss out at that point, but have seen people bike in that kind of weather before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 06:48 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,678,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Good clothes can help with the temperature, that is just common sense. I owned rain gear in Portland, Or for a reason and used it often when biking.

Also, can you drive in a foot of snow? No, you need plows to clear the roads, but you can also own winter tires for your bike which is basically studded tires for your bike. Though I will say that is for the more diehard bikers, I tend to wuss out at that point, but have seen people bike in that kind of weather before.
With Light Colorado Powder a foot is not a problem when fresh. Heavy snow becomes a problem at about 5-6" when your feet are pushing through heavy snow with every rotation.

One of my favorite sayings: "There is no bad weather, just bad gear!"

Old 03-06-2014, 08:17 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
I won't be biking in the snow...ever. But more power to you!

Old 03-07-2014, 02:27 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
With Light Colorado Powder a foot is not a problem when fresh. Heavy snow becomes a problem at about 5-6" when your feet are pushing through heavy snow with every rotation.

Wish I could rep you, so true. The only problem I used to have was my fingers would get cold below 20 degrees. Now I have these, and my fingers are NEVER cold:

Bar Mitts - Ride in Comfort

Rode in 9 degree weather recently with spring-time gloves and these things and my hands were nice and warm!

Old 03-07-2014, 03:41 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Mine, too, but that's only slightly out of the realm of urban planning. Even the best infrastructure cannot overcome someone's personal preference of not riding a bike in 110 degree temperatures, or during a rain or snow storm.

Or, at this time of year, not wanting to ride a bike because of the mammoth potholes.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:07 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,756 times
I bike to the train most days of the workweek. My rule is I look out the window in the winter and if snow is falling when I look I don't ride. I also didn't ride one of the polar vortex days, it was -15F, but I did ride on a few -10F days this year. The key is dressing appropriately. I look a bit like a skier on a bike, haha.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Mine, too, but that's only slightly out of the realm of urban planning. Even the best infrastructure cannot overcome someone's personal preference of not riding a bike in 110 degree temperatures, or during a rain or snow storm.

Or, at this time of year, not wanting to ride a bike because of the mammoth potholes.
But it doesn't cost much to build a bicycle infrastructure so that it would be there for those that do want to use it. Also the mammoth potholes exist because the east coast is obsessed with using salt instead of de-icer which doesn't rot the roads.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:33 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
But it doesn't cost much to build a bicycle infrastructure so that it would be there for those that do want to use it.
Oh, good grief, follow along, would you? Here is your quote that I'm referencing:

Quote:
That is the thing when people try to say where they live isn't a good place to bike because of weather, that usually means no one has shown them what good design looks like.
Pray tell, what kind of "infrastructure" are you going to build to shield bikers from undesirable temperature, humidity, and precipitation? And how much is it going to cost?

Old 03-07-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Oh, good grief, follow along, would you? Here is your quote that I'm referencing:

Pray tell, what kind of "infrastructure" are you going to build to shield bikers from undesirable temperature, humidity, and precipitation? And how much is it going to cost?
The cost would be less than 1% that is spent on interstate infrastructure.

And people do bike during less desirable weather. Also, are you trying to suggest there are never good times to bike because there is always some form of storm, polar freeze, or 100 degree days? I would be that one could bike a majority of the year where you live with the weather you get.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:34 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
The idea that cyclists have to be shielded from undesirable temperature, humidity and precipitation is a fallacy. The most important thing to shield cyclists from are cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning