Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 02:35 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Depends on the NIMBY, Jane Jacobs was a NIMBY and without her Robert Moses would have destroyed Manhattan.
Jane Jacobs was thinking about the whole of Manhattan. Robert Moses wanted to cut a swath of freeway right across the borough severing it in half. Dismissing her as a NIMBY is sort of absurd.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
But, looking at your threads and posts holistically, there is no such thing as a "bad project" unless it's a road.

And, just to put a cherry on it, you want people outside the urban areas to pay for your "smart planning and design".
1. I could fill vast tomes of works on bad projects. So you have zero clue.

2. I honestly have no clue what you mean by people outside urban areas pay for smart planning and design. I've never once advocated such.

What I do advocate, vociferously for, is to stop subsidizing the madness that occurs in the low value exurban and suburban areas that are drains on the economies of cities.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:43 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Jane Jacobs was thinking about the whole of Manhattan. Robert Moses wanted to cut a swath of freeway right across the borough severing it in half. Dismissing her as a NIMBY is sort of absurd.
She was a NIMBY nonetheless, she stood in the way of development because she felt the way the neighborhood was was better than running a freeway through it. I happen to agree with her, so not everyone who says not in my back yard is a bad. Also the idea is to either get people to see what you see, make them think your idea is their idea, or utilize the majority to make projects happen. I am actually a big fan of neighborhood involvement when it comes to shaping the future of a neighborhood or city.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:43 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
1. I could fill vast tomes of works on bad projects. So you have zero clue.

2. I honestly have no clue what you mean by people outside urban areas pay for smart planning and design. I've never once advocated such.

What I do advocate, vociferously for, is to stop subsidizing the madness that occurs in the low value exurban and suburban areas that are drains on the economies of cities.
You need to go back and read what you've posted over the years. I could do so but I really don't have the inclination at this point.

So I'll let you rant about "subsidization", which is a crock, and "low value", which is a another crock and remind you that you can't have a viable city with only the very wealthy and the very poor living there. And the planning and policies for which you advocate tend to drive out the middle class and are now driving out the wealthy in many urban areas.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
You need to go back and read what you've posted over the years. I could do so but I really don't have the inclination at this point.

So I'll let you rant about "subsidization", which is a crock, and "low value", which is a another crock and remind you that you can't have a viable city with only the very wealthy and the very poor living there. And the planning and policies for which you advocate tend to drive out the middle class and are now driving out the wealthy in many urban areas.
I know what I posted. So no, I don't need to go back and read it.

look at any economic breakdown of any city in North America and you'll find where the value lies. It is almost universally in the city core.

And why do you think I rail on NIMBY's they're the ones causing un-affordability by over regulating land use.

The urban policies I advocate do no such thing - the urban policies I advocate draw all level of incomes back into the core, not drive them out.

Feel free to actually read my posts sometime instead of making a bunch of false assumptions.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:57 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,167,229 times
Quote:
A war, a battle, a fight. . . same terminology is used all the time in all sorts of context. . .simmer down.
YOU are the one that needs to simmer down. It was YOU who brought up crushing the nimbys. Please take a chill pill and go check your blood pressure.

No one elected you dictator-in-chief to destroy any opposition to your personal plans and pet projects.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
YOU are the one that needs to simmer down. It was YOU who brought up crushing the nimbys. Please take a chill pill and go check your blood pressure.

No one elected you dictator-in-chief to destroy any opposition to your personal plans and pet projects.
121/68 Thanks for your concern.

This has nothing to do with personal plans or pet projects and everything to do with the health and vitality of American cities.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I know what I posted. So no, I don't need to go back and read it.

look at any economic breakdown of any city in North America and you'll find where the value lies. It is almost universally in the city core.

And why do you think I rail on NIMBY's they're the ones causing un-affordability by over regulating land use.

The urban policies I advocate do no such thing - the urban policies I advocate draw all level of incomes back into the core, not drive them out.

Feel free to actually read my posts sometime instead of making a bunch of false assumptions.
I have read your posts, too many of them. I stand by what I've written.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I have read your posts, too many of them. I stand by what I've written.
your wrong...feel free to think whatever you want however, ignorance is blissful.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
your wrong...feel free to think whatever you want however, ignorance is blissful.

In that case you're the happiest person I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning