Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 04:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
where is the slide show?
In this link within the second link that Jade posted.
National Complete Streets Coalition | Smart Growth America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 04:53 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The link is interesting. I even looked at the slide show to learn more about this shared streets business. You will note in the picture of "shared streets" at the beginning of the link that the kids are walking on a sidewalk, not down the middle of the road. The slide show says "shared streets" aren't all the same, and it gave just one example of these wernoofs or whatever they're called in the Netherlands. They do emphasize sidewalks, bike paths, paved shoulders for biking, narrow streets and wider streets, etc.
It only showed one "shared street" in the slideshow, which appeared to have two older adults walking in the middle of a sidewalkless residential street, which you called woonerf-like. Otherwise, it was referring to "complete streets" not "shared streets". Yes, it said there was no one solution, I thought their examples were interesting, too. However, they did criticize a large intersection that did have sidewalks (slide #23) and said 47% of older Americans feel unsafe crossing a major street near their home (slide #10). Most of the streets they did show positively weren't that wide, but not all, and nor were they suggesting that every road mustn't be wide.

Quote:
You should look at the slide show.
Looked.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:51 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Okay, I propose we officially name those commercial "power center" business streets with sidewalks on the far side of their parking lot that nobody uses "wernoofs"--an inverse woonerf!

Old 03-12-2014, 09:20 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
I'd like it if they make sidewalks at level with streets.

Example

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7449...SO6WliHTBw!2e0

Old 03-12-2014, 10:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It only showed one "shared street" in the slideshow, which appeared to have two older adults walking in the middle of a sidewalkless residential street, which you called woonerf-like. Otherwise, it was referring to "complete streets" not "shared streets". Yes, it said there was no one solution, I thought their examples were interesting, too. However, they did criticize a large intersection that did have sidewalks (slide #23) and said 47% of older Americans feel unsafe crossing a major street near their home (slide #10). Most of the streets they did show positively weren't that wide, but not all, and nor were they suggesting that every road mustn't be wide.

Looked.
FWIW, I meant "complete streets".

Old 03-13-2014, 06:32 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

Example

Depends on the speed of traffic IMO. I like at least some physical deterent between me and fast moving traffic.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:31 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
those commercial "power center" business streets with sidewalks on the far side of their parking lot that nobody uses
Speak for yourself.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:33 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,092,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

Example

I can see that being a drainage problem. Part of the reason for curb and gutter is to direct storm runoff into storm drains. I suspect the low curbs are actually due to trhe street being repaved multiple times and the overlay filling the gutters. In heavy rain this could cause runoff to flow into doorways.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 626 times
Complete Streets.
Many great ideas and safety is an important necessity, but really in the hands of some well-intentioned extremists - just Agenda 21 in disguise!
What I am seeing in many of these CS projects across America is money wasted. In the case of my city - bikes in traffic lanes (unprotected), bike path and sidewalks to nowhere because of the lack of connectivity.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:18 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Here'sTrouble View Post
Complete Streets.
Many great ideas and safety is an important necessity, but really in the hands of some well-intentioned extremists - just Agenda 21 in disguise!
What I am seeing in many of these CS projects across America is money wasted. In the case of my city - bikes in traffic lanes (unprotected), bike path and sidewalks to nowhere because of the lack of connectivity.
Coordination is critical on making it work. Intersection design in California is plagued with laziness. Usually bike lanes end right befor the intersection and pick back up after. Where I live, sidewalks are generally really complete save a few very rural feeling areas. But the towns near where I work have sidewalks to nowhere. Bike lanes that cross busy freeway crossings with nonstop signs or lights or anything to make you feel safer as a walker or biker. And those towns do not prioritize funding those improvements. Feasibly because that can't envision anyone actually using the facilities. (I have heard anecdotal evidence that confirms this).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning