Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2014, 08:59 AM

723 posts, read 868,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And I have had plenty of unpleasant experiences while driving. Nothing in life is absolute. Switching from transit to a car isn't going to rid yourself of unpleasant experiences.
I don't see why it's crazy to think that being in your own little glass/metal cage on your journey would isolate you from the scum of the world pretty effectively. Certainly makes unpleasant experiences with strangers much less likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 10:04 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post
I don't see why it's crazy to think that being in your own little glass/metal cage on your journey would isolate you from the scum of the world pretty effectively. Certainly makes unpleasant experiences with strangers much less likely.
Except for the fact that you will then surround yourself with unpleasant people in other vehicles.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:18 AM

723 posts, read 868,168 times
Quote:
Except for the fact that you will then surround yourself with unpleasant people in other vehicles.
Yeah separated by two glass/metal barriers and a bit of road. It's not the same and we both know it. Are we just gonna keep going until I change my mind? Do you really have much faith in what you're saying or are you just gonna keep going until I tell you were right?

Old 04-04-2014, 10:58 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There was a big wife-swapping ring here in my little hood, before we moved here. It involved 3 or 4 couples. Everyone got divorced. Only two of the swappers/swappees got married. Everyone else was on their own.
Awesome! Sounds like a subplot from "Mad Men".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Well said!!! Actually, I think at least in some of these squares in Europe may have been where they gathered to watch public executions.
In the States, too, no doubt.
Quote:
Perry Square Park in downtown Erie, PA works fine for that city. It provides for everything that Courthouse Square in Portland does but in much more pleasant surroundings for the people who live and work in the area. It also has beautiful gardens in the summer months. This photo shows the farmer's market that's there most days. Perry Square Park
It's especially fun at lunch time when the city politicians wander across the street to hold court in the square. Back in the day, I spent a more than a few lunch hours listening to Mayor Lou Tullio or his chief rival, city councilman Mario Bagnoni, have some impromptu debates ... sometimes with each other

Quote:
What parks have I mocked?
Ones with grass and trees.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:28 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,298,767 times
In a car you can go from point A to point B independently.

Mass transit is environmentally & ecologically & socially beneficial, but inefficient for the individual.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post
Yeah separated by two glass/metal barriers and a bit of road. It's not the same and we both know it. Are we just gonna keep going until I change my mind? Do you really have much faith in what you're saying or are you just gonna keep going until I tell you were right?
I never said the experiences were the same, but the effect is the same. It is unsettling to look in your rear view mirror and have someone tailgating you. Having people cutting you off and almost causing an accident. There are lots of things that can happen while driving that makes you have to deal with unpleasant people.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Mass transit = ghetto passengers
Ghetto passengers = ghetto behavior
Ghetto behavior = violence

Old 04-04-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Mass transit = ghetto passengers
Ghetto passengers = ghetto behavior
Ghetto behavior = violence
That would be an extreme generalization that is also an incorrect one.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:40 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,573,997 times
People who avoid public transit for fear of violence are clueless. In every public transit system in the country, the rate of violent crime happening on the train or bus is lower than the rate of car accidents. Yet people feel so safe in their cars and are scared of the train or bus? They're just uninformed.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:33 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
That would be an extreme generalization that is also an incorrect one.
Not if u have been mugged
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning